NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
Looks like 2G died some time Jan 5th or slightly sooner in the San Diego area.

Same observation (Thursday, Jan5) for my 2011, but my numbers zeroed out as if this was done at a central location (by Nissan?).

My 2017 SV, which I just bought 12/30/2016, is working.

The "zeroing out" thing is a symptom, not a problem; it happens when you have a failed connect with the server.
Once they enable service for the new modem, it should "fill in the blanks". It may take a couple of fetches/reads to do so.
I think some folks are deleting/adding their car/service when you just have to be patient...and it may be creating a problem. For the record, I never did anything (in the car or online) but wait for a "successful connection" message (in the car)...which took a couple of days.

Stanton said:
The "zeroing out" thing is a symptom, not a problem; it happens when you have a failed connect with the server.
Once they enable service for the new modem, it should "fill in the blanks". It may take a couple of fetches/reads to do so.
I think some folks are deleting/adding their car/service when you just have to be patient...and it may be creating a problem. For the record, I never did anything (in the car or online) but wait for a "successful connection" message (in the car)...which took a couple of days.

I can connect in the car with a successful connection (signing in), but can't use the web or ios apps. Times out, or errors when trying. Going on 3 days now.

oak said:
I can connect in the car with a successful connection (signing in), but can't use the web or ios apps. Times out, or errors when trying. Going on 3 days now.

That connection message you are getting is sort of a false positive; I got the same thing.
When the modem is enabled, it starts to download charging stations, etc. again.

Stanton said:
oak said:

That connection message you are getting is sort of a false positive; I got the same thing.

Interesting, I'll try downloading charging stations. I bet you're right. I have a feeling I'll be calling in on Monday, and taking a trip to the dealer again.

EVFuture said:
I had my TCU upgraded on Wednesday. I waited 48 hours to try logging back in from the car. Today the UNIT ID shows, but the rest show ****. Nissan Connect suggested I contact the dealership. The dealership tried submitting the IMEI again, and suggested I wait 24-48 hours and try again. Hopefully a fix becomes available soon.
Waiting an extra 24 hours did not help. I wonder if it's a problem on the backend, which the dealership would likely not be able to diagnose.

Stanton said:

I agree with you that this step should only be taken as a last resort. I have posted about doing this (and it's what I did to get my unit working after being down for ten days).

Taking it back to the dealer and working with Nissan would be my first recommendation. I just didn't have the time to do all of that, and after ten days it was clear that the problem was not going to fix itself.

After the TCU upgrade, the app updated once successfully before leaving dealership but not since. Been in correspondence with consumer line last week, been put on a "tier 2" level status, not hopeful they will resolve.
Have an appointment tommorow AM to take to dealership and drop it off until the dealership ALONG with the consumer line can troubleshoot and fix to my satisfaction....
Very frustrating to upgrade, pay the $200, and still not have a functioning unit.

Stanton said:
oak said:

I tested this morning, and I can actually download charging stations from within the car. I even got a Google "parked car update" when I got coffee this morning. Still no luck with the ios app or web portal though. Times out every time yet. Refreshing or sending climate control update.

oak said:
I tested this morning, and I can actually download charging stations from within the car. I even got a Google "parked car update" when I got coffee this morning. Still no luck with the ios app or web portal though. Times out every time yet. Refreshing or sending climate control update.

That would suggest the car->server is working (modem activated) but the server->network is down.
To check the latter, I was able to get a status on my Leaf (via the web), which means the service appears to be "up"...so I don't know what to tell you.

I'm unable to make a connection with either my PC or iPhone. I'll keep monitoring this site and not bother Nissan for now. My guess its a corporate issue and we have Leafs not actual voting stock. :lol:

In majority of the cases it appears to be a corporate\service issue, not a customers'\modem issues nor a dealers'\maintenance concern either.

Give it time, but any which way you look at it, it's faulty execution!

I am have also been down, not able to log into the app or the owners portal. I called Carwings this morning and they said that I still have an account and everything looks fine so I'm thinking it's just a server issue.

Dropped my car off earlier today and they say it's ready..
I'm not expecting it to work for a few days at least tho, based on the responses on this thread...

desiv

For everyone who is having this issue, we should contact Nissan Corporate at (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738), options 1 then 6, and report the issue and request it to be escalated. Hopefully if enough people complain they will realize there is a problem. I don't think the dealership can do anything to fix the issue since it seems to be server side.

https://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus

EVFuture said:
For everyone who is having this issue, we should contact Nissan Corporate at (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738), options 1 then 6, and report the issue and request it to be escalated. Hopefully if enough people complain they will realize there is a problem. I don't think the dealership can do anything to fix the issue since it seems to be server side.

https://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus

I just called in and had it escalated. Took about 10 minutes to go through all the troubleshooting before they opened a case number for the techs at Nissan. Might hear back by Thursday.

Well, maybe I was lucky for once. I took my '15 SV in on January 5th and they had it all done by early afternoon. When I went back to the dealership I asked if they tested it to make sure it was setup correctly. The Service Manager said that she assumed that the tech did as it was his responsibility. I said we'd find out soon enough as I was going to sit there and see it work or they'd be keeping it.

I fired up the car and downloaded updates. That went quickly, so then I tried to get an updated status from my phone and the app said I needed to register my car. I went into the Carwings setup and the UID/Password was pre-populated, but not logged in. I pressed login and it said it worked. I fired up the app and got and update from the car in record time.

It seems to me that if the tech doing the work correctly sets it up, it will work right the first time. I don't know why the tech didn't log it in, but it was a simple enough step to get it going.

Since some on this forum mentioned bringing in the Carwings registration information, I did bring it in with the car. When I tried to give it to the service manager she declined to take it stating that they didn't want to be responsible for a copy of this information. I challenged on how the tech could set it up without the information and she said the setup did not require it to be provided.

Apparently she is correct as I didn't give it to them and they completed the fix right the first time.

Hopefully as the dealerships complete more and more of these the techs will know how to set them up correctly.

Of note, it used to take 3-5 minutes to get an update on the app for car status or turning on the climate control. I now get updates in 20-30 seconds. Very nice improvement in performance.

Good luck everyone!

Hello to all.

I recently bought a used 13 SV and love it! 2G service here in Indianapolis stopped on 1/3, so I dropped by one of our local Nissan dealers today (Ed Martin) to inquire about the 3G TCU upgrade. The Service Rep was very helpful, took my VIN, but insisted that I need to leave the car for "40 page" pre-evaluation before they can order the new TCU. That initial appointment doesn't seem to the norm for most here when getting TCU upgrade.

Is there some internal document or number that I can point the Service Rep to in order to avoid that initial appointment. I'd like to avoid the hassle of leaving the car at the dealer twice when it appears this should be able to be done in one shot once the TCU is preordered (based on the VIN).

Also, anyone in the Indy area already have their TCU upgraded yet? I'm not opposed to going to another dealer who may be more familiar with the process, assuming I can't get my current dealer on the right track.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi,
We just had our upgrade done at Tom Wood Nissan at 96th and keystone. They seem to be quite knowledgeable about Leafs compared to other Indy dealers.

John

Back