Nissan at 2017 North American International Auto Show

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

From the PR below, it doesn't sound like we should expect the LEAF gen 2 at Detroit.

It does sound like making the new LEAF's battery accessible for off-board use may be a major selling point, (along with AV capabilities announced yesterday at CES) when we eventually see the Gen 2.

Jan 6, 2017

Nissan takes major role at 2017 North American International Auto Show’s AutoMobili-D exposition

DETROIT – Nissan today announced it will be a major participant in the inaugural AutoMobili-D event, which takes place January 8 through 12 in conjunction with the 2017 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). Nissan's major activities will include:

A keynote speech by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Carlos Ghosn on Monday, January 9 at 3 p.m. EST
A future technology display featuring a "refreshing" demonstration of LEAF-to-Home possibilities with a smoothie machine powered by Nissan LEAF – the world leader in pure electric vehicle sales.

Mr. Ghosn, fresh off his keynote address at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, will discuss current and future mobility trends – including Nissan's vision for the future called Nissan Intelligent Mobility. At CES, he projected that by 2030, electric vehicles will account for two-thirds of all cars on the road in populated, high-income cities. This is an increase from less than one percent sold globally in 2015.

Nissan is a pioneer of the electric vehicle movement, having introduced the world's first mass-market electric car, the Nissan LEAF, in 2010. Today, there are more than 275,000 Nissan EVs on the road globally with 102,000 of these vehicles in United States alone.

EV batteries can do more than just provide power for driving – they can also be used as energy storage devices – and Nissan is a leading proponent of "Vehicle to Home," "Vehicle to Building" and "Vehicle to Grid" solutions. Nissan is working with various organizations around the country, including utilities, research organizations, charger manufacturers, regulators and other government agencies, as well as the general public, in both demonstration projects and further research.

Nissan is heavily focused on preparing for "LEAF-to-Home" commercialization in the U.S., similar to what is available on the market in Japan today. In 2012, Nissan introduced this system in Japan, allowing drivers to supply a house with the energy stored in a Nissan LEAF battery. By charging the vehicle at night when electricity is cheaper and powering a household during the day, the system assists in alleviating power consumption during peak periods when demand is highest and most expensive. It can also be used as a backup power supply for blackouts and emergencies. Today about 4,000 households in Japan are utilizing their EVs to manage home energy use, and hundreds of EVs are powering buildings in Japan and Europe.

Elsewhere in the U.S., Nissan is involved with a variety of "Vehicle to Grid" and "LEAF-to-Home" activities – including as a long-term partner with the Department of Defense on multiple grid-based projects at Los Angeles Air Force Base (California), Fort Hood (Texas), and Joint Base Andrews (Maryland). Combined, approximately 30 LEAFs have been deployed at these bases to demonstrate the technical and market viability of EV participation on the grid. Similar programs are underway between Nissan and other organizations around the U.S., including universities and utilities...
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/press-kit-nissan-intelligent-mobility-at-ces

A new Nissan LEAF will be coming in the near future.

I will be very disappointed if the "near future" is not Detroit. I've long held the expectation that the Leaf 2.0 will arrive after the Bolt but before the Model III. Maybe by the end of this year I can test drive one.

GetOffYourGas said:
A new Nissan LEAF will be coming in the near future.

I will be very disappointed if the "near future" is not Detroit. I've long held the expectation that the Leaf 2.0 will arrive after the Bolt but before the Model III. Maybe by the end of this year I can test drive one.

I figured the same. I'd be shocked if the second gen Leaf doesn't hit the market before the Model 3.

I very much enjoyed the vision shown in the speech. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

I think they were planning to show off the 2018 Leaf, however, it sounds as though it's not ready.

Maybe they decided to add liquid battery cooling which is causing a delay or they want to wait until they start production of the new Leaf to announce it.

Nissan has dropped the ball and is refocusing on self driving and hybrids.

Let's see if the Gen ii leaf beats the Ioniq to the us.

Fight of the vaporwares

And here's a live feed of the entire show. Schedule posted at ~8 minutes, shows Nissan from 8:30 to 8:55, PST.

Watch all the live reveals from the 2017 Detroit Auto Show right here
Sure beats traveling to Detroit in January.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/watch-all-the-live-reveals-from-the-2017-detroit-auto-show-right-here/

edatoakrun said:
And here's a live feed of the entire show. Schedule posted at ~8 minutes, shows Nissan from 8:30 to 8:55, EST.

Watch all the live reveals from the 2017 Detroit Auto Show right here
Sure beats traveling to Detroit in January.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/watch-all-the-live-reveals-from-the-2017-detroit-auto-show-right-here/

I think you mean Pacific time?

Nothing on LEAF, and only real news is at the end:

"The future of Nissan design"

"Zero emission, Zero fatality future"

Vmotion 2.0 sedan concept

NICE!

If there's any bad news RE the next LEAF, is that they used "near future" to describe when the Vmotion 2.0 will be on the road.

Which. IIRC, is the same phrase Nissan has used to tell us when we will get the LEAF Gen 2...

edatoakrun said:
Nissan Press Conference at the 2017 NAIAS - Jan. 9, 2017 @ 11:30AM ET
Thanks for the link!

I'm pretty sure I heard the word "LEAF" uttered a total of ZERO times, but I heard "truck" many, many times. :shock:

The PR release with photos and specs, no mention of drivetrain(s):

Jan 9, 2017
Nissan unveils Vmotion 2.0 at 2017 North American International Auto Show

Nissan Vmotion 2.0 is an exciting new concept for tomorrow’s busy professionals
Created to showcase Nissan’s new sedan design direction – futuristic, dynamic, and more cabin-focused
Showcases the evolution of the signature “V-motion” front design seen on many of today’s Nissan products
Provides hints at the future of “Nissan Intelligent Mobility,” including a future vision for ProPILOT functionality, one which allows autonomous driving on urban roads and in intersections with the latest HMI
DETROIT – Nissan today revealed Vmotion 2.0, a new concept vehicle that signals the company’s future sedan design direction and Intelligent Mobility technology. It combines a high sense of style, emotional design, roominess, comfort and technology to make the mobility experience seamless for busy professionals constantly on the go. The vehicle was revealed during a press conference at the 2017 North American International Auto Show...

Base Dimensions
Overall length 4860 mm (191.3 in)
Overall width (without door mirrors)
1890mm (74.4 in)
Overall height 1380mm (54.3 in)
Wheelbase 2850mm (112.2 in)
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan/releases/-nissan-unveils-vmotion-2-0-at-2017-north-american-international-auto-show

That's a large sedan.

Only ~4.5" shorter and ~3'' narrower than a Tesla S.

Wow, nothing. I was really hoping for some Leaf news from this show. Can anyone going to the show pry some information out of one of the Nissan reps.

Is the "V" in Vmotion stand for Vaporware? I honestly expected a true product announcement from Nissan. I guess we will have to wait until 2018. I think the traditional automakers are afraid to announce any specs until the final Model 3 reveal, in which case they will announce better specs on paper in order to steal thunder.

I'd like for Nissan to really offer up a good contender to the Bolt and Model 3, but they seem to be a bit slow to launch.

Durandal said:
Is the "V" in Vmotion stand for Vaporware? I honestly expected a true product announcement from Nissan. I guess we will have to wait until 2018. I think the traditional automakers are afraid to announce any specs until the final Model 3 reveal, in which case they will announce better specs on paper in order to steal thunder.

I'd like for Nissan to really offer up a good contender to the Bolt and Model 3, but they seem to be a bit slow to launch.

I wonder if they can just program whatever range they need for marketing purposes into the BMS at the expense of pack longevity once they know how much they need. They know the Bolt claims 238 miles, say the Model 3 claims 260 miles (for the $40k version), Nissan will make their pack do 265 miles for the $38,900 version of LEAF 2.0. and deal with the degradation problems later. By "deal with" I mean ignore the customer complaints and replace packs only if forced to.

Well obviously they can't program more range in there if there isn't enough battery capacity to support it, but if there is that typical 10% unused margin, they could dip into that if they wanted. Reminds me of a lawsuit that was attempted against Apple for showing the battery being charged to 100% even though it was only charged to 90% in actuality, in order to prevent battery degradation. They added in that extra 10% capacity in order to improve the long term life of the batteries. Tesla does the same, and of course Nissan as well.

It reminds me of the debacle in the late 90's regarding CRT size. TVs advertised as 27" really only had 25" displayable, so shortly before they were made obsolete by LCD screens, they started having to have a sub-script under the main tube size as to what the displayable size was..

Back