Charging while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ICE on the roof is not going to happen. It is usually tall. Also roof rack DOES have more air resistance
than almost any trailer. Due to the fact that smaller trailers are totally behind the vehicle.
We need one-gear ICE that propels trailer, not electricity generator that powers the Leaf.
And we need 15kW stable output at least otherwise trailer is worthless as it is not possible to travel 1000 miles.

Oh it would totally work! A 7kw dual-fuel generator is 250-300 lbs and you could take some of the weight off like the handle and wheels. It'd have to use 3 maybe 4 cross bars for that weight, but if properly placed and spaced the roof could take it. Locate the generator in as low profile box as possible, maybe mount sideways. Mount propane or gasoline tank up there as well (don't tell the DOT!). There you go you have L2 charging anywhere you drive.

arnis said:
ICE on the roof is not going to happen. It is usually tall. Also roof rack DOES have more air resistance
than almost any trailer. Due to the fact that smaller trailers are totally behind the vehicle.
We need one-gear ICE that propels trailer, not electricity generator that powers the Leaf.
And we need 15kW stable output at least otherwise trailer is worthless as it is not possible to travel 1000 miles.
Your trailer will still have drag, the roof box possibly will have more aero drag, but it also has the benefit of being lightweight. Whereas you're towing a trailer which at the minimum is going to be approaching 1000lbs. If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.

VitaminJ said:
If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.
Your missing the point. EV's will eventually be the main personal vehicle on the road. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just take a trip in your own car? 7kW is not enough to keep up. You need 15kW continuous. Which is 500 pounds.
Is this the right vehicle? I did my Iron Butt 1000 Mile ride from Syracuse to Birmingham on my streamlined CBR250R last May. The weather was cold, foggy, rain, and cold again in the evening so I couldn't quite crack 100 mpgUS. But did average 115 mpg in the hot temps all summer.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r/2011/sendler/78563
11741137_853344341411346_6486388907150069492_o.jpg

VitaminJ said:
Oh it would totally work! A 7kw dual-fuel generator is 250-300 lbs and you could take some of the weight off like the handle and wheels. It'd have to use 3 maybe 4 cross bars for that weight, but if properly placed and spaced the roof could take it. Locate the generator in as low profile box as possible, maybe mount sideways. Mount propane or gasoline tank up there as well (don't tell the DOT!). There you go you have L2 charging anywhere you drive.

arnis said:
Your trailer will still have drag, the roof box possibly will have more aero drag, but it also has the benefit of being lightweight. Whereas you're towing a trailer which at the minimum is going to be approaching 1000lbs. If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.

You don't understand engineering.
First of all you raise the center of mass catastrophically.
Secondly you lose 300lbs load capacity. You get more drag.
ICE engines are USUALLY vertical.

And you need 50hp at least due to massive electrical losses.
Also a lot of equipment more to handle the electrical stuff.

NOT going to happen. Trailer is much simpler. Safer.

sendler2112 said:
VitaminJ said:
If you want to drive 1000 miles in one go you have the wrong vehicle.
Your missing the point. EV's will eventually be the main personal vehicle on the road. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just take a trip in your own car? 7kW is not enough to keep up. You need 15kW continuous. Which is 500 pounds.
Is this the right vehicle? I did my Iron Butt 1000 Mile ride from Syracuse to Birmingham on my streamlined CBR250R last May. The weather was cold, foggy, rain, and cold again in the evening so I couldn't quite crack 100 mpgUS. But did average 115 mpg in the hot temps all summer.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r/2011/sendler/78563
11741137_853344341411346_6486388907150069492_o.jpg

Haha! Wow. Yes EV cars will eventually (and in the case of Tesla already are) be capable of long journeys just as conveniently as ICE cars. What does that have to do with a DIY generator hack to an existing car? What does an ICE motorcycle have to do with hybrid electric vehicles? From your hypermiling experience you should know that 7kw is plenty to propel a Leaf down the road at plenty of speed.

arnis said:
VitaminJ said:

arnis said:

You don't understand engineering.
First of all you raise the center of mass catastrophically.
Secondly you lose 300lbs load capacity. You get more drag.
ICE engines are USUALLY vertical.

And you need 50hp at least due to massive electrical losses.
Also a lot of equipment more to handle the electrical stuff.

NOT going to happen. Trailer is much simpler. Safer.

Ummm this generator is 7.5kw (that's electrical ouput so you will get 100% of 7.5kw) and can be mounted sideways with the frame removed, total footprint is only 28 inches wide 18 inches tall. This one is also only 200lbs which can be reduced:
http://apelectric.com/all-generators/portable-generators-800-17-500w/westinghouse-portable-generators/westinghouse-wh7500e-7500w-electric-start-portable-generator/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqdLDBRDD-b2sv6-i6MsBEiQAkT3wAoxjI4es86kcsKcYWSNt9ZCP0G5859O57EWpNcNWaaYaAlrL8P8HAQ

Also it's only $800, let's see the pricetag on your 15kw generator.

There is no other "equipment" needed. You take your 7.5kw generator, you fill it up with gas, and you plug in your EVSE.

You want to talk about spoiled handling? Add a 1000lbs trailer to your Leaf ahahahahahaha. For 1000 miles you take a Tesla, you take an ICE car, or you wait 5-10 years for the next gen EVs.

My solution would let you travel 200 miles per charge, further if you are conservative, and would charge up your vehicle in 4 hours anywhere you parked it. Perfect for exploring the wilderness, camping in the mountains, visiting national parks, etc. and you can explore the city and park in a normal parking spot and use a drive-through. It would probably also only take up half the interior space of the roof box, the rest is free storage, or fuel for the generator.

I wish all this generator nonsense would stop. It's a terrible solution no matter how it's done and battery tech and charging is advancing fast to make it all moot. When EVs have cheap 300 mile plus range there will still be people wanting generators.

EVDRIVER said:
I wish all this generator nonsense would stop. It's a terrible solution no matter how it's done and battery tech and charging is advancing fast to make it all moot. When EVs have cheap 300 mile plus range there will still be people wanting generators.

This is why I said pusher trailer. Makes more sense if done properly :lol:

arnis said:
EVDRIVER said:

You better watch your mouth, if I ever come across a nice used 6-7kw generator for a good price I will actually build my roof box :twisted:

arnis said:
EVDRIVER said:

I'll buy you a pizza the day a pusher trailer is commercially available in meaningful numbers. Add on devices to extend range are a losing business model .

How about a generator on the back wheels that charges the battery while you drive and adds range the more your drive! Wait.... There are several threads on this already. Never mind.

VitaminJ said:
arnis said:
EVDRIVER said:

You better watch your mouth, if I ever come across a nice used 6-7kw generator for a good price I will actually build my roof box :twisted:

What you are going to do with 110V or 230V AC that generator gives? AC is useless.

arnis said:
VitaminJ said:
arnis said:

What you are going to do with 110V or 230V AC that generator gives? AC is useless.
Plug in my EVSE?

VitaminJ said:
arnis said:
VitaminJ said:

Plug in my EVSE?

What's the point? Read the topic. Need to "charge while driving". Charger is not operational while driving.
Also with 7kW power (theoretical power) Leaf will run out of juice pretty much 20 miles slower. Idea is to drive
400 miles once a month non-stop.

Aside from the discussion on the merits of charging while driving, I am still curious about the technical feasibility of "Charging while driving".

Specifically, I'm wondering how the Leafs on-board computers would react to getting a charge independent of its own regen? Would it consider this an error/fault condition?

Since the normal built-in charger is locked out during operation, what would happen if an independent charger were used - such as the one detailed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12323? I would think you should be able to use an AC source with this method.

I've seen a few videos detail how to add an external battery pack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztejn3YYbvw and a few videos show what can go wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vD2VBAYdTg

From what I gather, it seems like yes, you can add charge to the Leaf while driving (independent of regen) but you need to be mindful not to cause pack imbalance beyond a certain limit. Would still like to hear from anyone else with experience on this subject though!

However, as I often have to remind myself, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something - in the end it's probably better to go with a Volt or i3 Rex if you desire to charge while driving. :)

arnis said:
What's the point? Read the topic. Need to "charge while driving". Charger is not operational while driving.
Also with 7kW power (theoretical power) Leaf will run out of juice pretty much 20 miles slower. Idea is to drive
400 miles once a month non-stop.
These same problems occur in the trailer setup. You haven't offered a solution. Let me know when you drive your Leaf 400 miles non-stop, I will be first to congratulate you.

A DC gen trailer through a rear facing quick charge port is not easy for us to do. But it would have been easy for Nissan to do and would have eliminated the one main objection that holds regular people (non early adopters) from buying an EV. People won't buy an EV because it won't make their range 10 times per year.

You guys just don't get it. Forget electricity. Trailer is a pusher. It literally PUSHES the Leaf.
No need to have any HV connections. No need to modify Leaf (except trailer hitch).
Yes trailer itself will be more complex. Will have basic clutch. Will have driveshafts from
reduction gear to wheels. Still much more basic mechanics than that stupid AC-DC-AC link.

This trailer will push ANY vehicle with hitch. Even Tesla.
It starts on it's own and stops propulsion with brake light voltage got from hitch connection.

Actually if you want to go the pusher trailer route, a cvt cycle such as Yamaha Majesty 400 with a hobby remote control servo operating the throttle and the front wheel lifted and chocked into the hitch would work perfect if there is no snow. But now I await the flames.

sendler2112 said:
Actually if you want to go the pusher trailer route, a cvt cycle such as Yamaha Majesty 400 with a hobby remote control servo operating the throttle and the front wheel lifted and chocked into the hitch would work perfect if there is no snow. But now I await the flames.

That's the spirit. I would get rid of CVT for efficiency and reliability. But it makes things very simple if we just keep the
scooter on the trailer and rear wheel to the ground :lol:

CVT means no clutch or gears. And using a scooter on a front wheel hitch means no trailer. Just lift the front wheel and lock it into the hitch. And you have a fun scooter to ride any other time you are not using it as a pusher trailer. A Honda Forza would be much more fuel efficient but wouldn't make quite enough power to maintain 65mph on it's own.

Back