Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arnis said:
webeleafowners said:
I kinda knew the boly would come In at least 10 grand more than the leaf. We decided on the leaf over the bolt because.

1. Not proven yet. Get the bugs out fur a couple years. Leaf is pretty reliable.
2. Didn't actually like what saw.
3. Price. Wow. Extra range is useless to us so not worth any extra money.
4. It's a Chevy so.....

Kinda true 1-4. To be honest 2011 2012 Leafs also were not good enough.
On the other hand 30kWh version that costs almost as much as 2011 models, looks almost identical, but much much better.
Mostly inside. Heat pump, better battery. Better interior options.

As a car that is 5 years younger than Leaf, Bolt is not good enough. It would be in 2014.

Also CCS should be much less available for now.

Other than friends who have a 2012 we don't really know how much the leaf has changed between 2012 and our 2016. We certainly like the increased range of ours over theirs as it gives us about a 40 percent leeway over the range we need compared to what we have. It gives us some room for degradation over the next 7 to 10 years we will have the car. Having said that, maybe a result of the climate we live in in Canada, our friends have seen very little degradation in their 2012. They still have 12 bars and it still serves their needs although he says he sees a little less range at the end of the day in the winter than he used to. They use it as a commuter and put on about 11,000 KM per year. It has been to the dealer twice in that time. He pretty much treats it like an appliance.

I would be interested in seeing a list of improvements from the original 2011 model year to our 2016 SV 30.

We are currently in the US for a couple more months so we had a chance to see the bolt a couple times. I still haven't seen one with fast charge and the sales guy didn't know what I as talking about so couldn't say how much they would cost extra. The closest dealer sold 3 in the same day but I think they were probably pre-paid. He mentioned the only complaint the one customer had was highway noise at freeway speed. Anybody hear this or is it just because it is more obvious as there is no engine noise. We notice this on our smart ED. He said their sticker price was 37ish without fast charge.

LeftieBiker said:
You can lease an LT with no options (including the nicer colors) for $2500 down and about $305 a month, plus tax. Sound any better? There are also a couple more reviews of the seats, and it's becoming clear that GM wanted to limit the Bolt's appeal to small, fit people with rock hard butt muscles. A preference for pain while driving will also be a plus.

no you cant

webeleafowners said:
I kinda knew the boly would come In at least 10 grand more than the leaf. We decided on the leaf over the bolt because.

1. Not proven yet. Get the bugs out fur a couple years. Leaf is pretty reliable.
4. It's a Chevy so.....

if it was $10,000 more than my LEAF, I would have jumped all over it!!

but in reality; doing lease to purchase, try OVER $20,000 more!

DaveinOlyWA said:
webeleafowners said:

4. It's a Chevy so.....

if it was $10,000 more than my LEAF, I would have jumped all over it!!

but in reality; doing lease to purchase, try OVER $20,000 more!

Everybody has different needs and depending on requirements range can be important. For us we wouldn't spend even a few grand more on a Bolt, but like I said, its a chevy so........

webeleafowners said:
He mentioned the only complaint the one customer had was highway noise at freeway speed. Anybody hear this or is it just because it is more obvious as there is no engine noise. We notice this on our smart ED.
There is an individual in the Bolt forum who claims he traded up from a Leaf to a Bolt and that the Bolt was much louder in the highway than the Leaf. FWIW.

GetOffYourGas said:
webeleafowners said:
He mentioned the only complaint the one customer had was highway noise at freeway speed. Anybody hear this or is it just because it is more obvious as there is no engine noise. We notice this on our smart ED.
There is an individual in the Bolt forum who claims he traded up from a Leaf to a Bolt and that the Bolt was much louder in the highway than the Leaf. FWIW.

So that is now the third time I have seen reference to that. Hope to have a test drive before we head back to Canada but they are not expecting any for awhile. I haven't driven the Soul EV yet. Mosts of the rest I have driven, Ford, VW, both Teslas. (Love the S). So far the most fun is our smart ED convertible. The nicest EV (we can afford) and the most practical for us is of course our leaf. :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
You can lease an LT with no options (including the nicer colors) for $2500 down and about $305 a month, plus tax. Sound any better? There are also a couple more reviews of the seats, and it's becoming clear that GM wanted to limit the Bolt's appeal to small, fit people with rock hard butt muscles. A preference for pain while driving will also be a plus.

no you cant

That was one offer in December, in CA. I'm sure they only get worse from there.

EVDRIVER said:
The regen off pedal is average and there is a plastic cheap feeling paddle on the back of the steering wheel that allows for much more regen, however it is on/off and seems as a very crude implementation that will put off many users.

Sounds like the gen2 Volt. Cheap plastic, binary operation... That being said I have grown rather fond of it. Especially having any regen at full SOC is nice. The binary operation usually leads to either: 1. Applying regen too late and having to press brake pedal eventually to come to a complete stop in time.. Or 2. Slowing partially (say 50mph to 15mph), coasting, then applying more regen to come to a near stop. To get from 2-3mph to complete stop you need the brake pedal. This brake-coast-brake operation isn't very smooth and might feel odd to my passengers, but I've kind of gotten used to it. I fear if I get in another car I'll instinctively reach behind the wheel before touching the brake when coming to a stop.

report from new Bolt owner that dealership sent him off with 20% SOC. he had to go straight to a CCS to get enough juice to get home...

Yeah, I was thinking about dumping the gasser and getting a Bolt but looks like that won't be happening for at least a year

DaveinOlyWA said:
report from new Bolt owner that dealership sent him off with 20% SOC. he had to go straight to a CCS to get enough juice to get home...

Yeah, I was thinking about dumping the gasser and getting a Bolt but looks like that won't be happening for at least a year

What does that mean without knowing the distance?

GregH said:
EVDRIVER said:
The regen off pedal is average and there is a plastic cheap feeling paddle on the back of the steering wheel that allows for much more regen, however it is on/off and seems as a very crude implementation that will put off many users.

Sounds like the gen2 Volt. Cheap plastic, binary operation... That being said I have grown rather fond of it. Especially having any regen at full SOC is nice. The binary operation usually leads to either: 1. Applying regen too late and having to press brake pedal eventually to come to a complete stop in time.. Or 2. Slowing partially (say 50mph to 15mph), coasting, then applying more regen to come to a near stop. To get from 2-3mph to complete stop you need the brake pedal. This brake-coast-brake operation isn't very smooth and might feel odd to my passengers, but I've kind of gotten used to it. I fear if I get in another car I'll instinctively reach behind the wheel before touching the brake when coming to a stop.

That's how it drove for me and the braking was not very good at al at high SOC. In addition at a stop I thought the window was partly down because of noise from a car next to me, seems as though cabin noise is high to me.

EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

umm, like what?

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

umm, like what?

The quote is meaningless. It says nothing about any EV other than the car was at 20% SOC and they needed a charge, sounds pretty normal. If they lived 5 miles away then it would be a concern. All it says is the dealer was lazy.

EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:

umm, like what?

The quote is meaningless. It says nothing about any EV other than the car was at 20% SOC and they needed a charge, sounds pretty normal. If they lived 5 miles away then it would be a concern. All it says is the dealer was lazy.

well if I had to venture a guess, I think he had plenty of range to make it home but don't know. Only reporting what he posted. Either way, he obviously did not feel comfortable trying to drive home on a 20% charge so still at a loss as to why the distance had to be known?

WetEV said:
EVDRIVER said:
All it says is the dealer was lazy.
Or the dealer didn't have the time and charging stations to get all the cars ready...

well this would be the obvious implication. curious that the cars are apparently (or least his was) shipped with such a low SOC to begin with.

LKK said:
What do you guys think of the Bolt winning the North American Car of the Year award?

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-captures-coveted-north-american-car-year-award/

I think it's nonsense politics. It should be called the Korean car of the year since very little is made in the US. People bash Tesla but it is a more of an American car company in so many respects. GM pretty much outsourced the entire car.

LG supplied an array of new components and systems for the Chevrolet Bolt EV, including:

Electric Drive Motor
Power Inverter Module (converts DC power to AC for the drive unit)
On Board Charger
Electric Climate Control System Compressor
Battery Cells and Pack
High Power Distribution Module (manages the flow of high voltage to various components)
Battery Heater
Accessory Power Module (maintains low-voltage power delivery to accessories)
Power Line Communication Module (manages communication between vehicle and a DC charging station)
Instrument Cluster
Infotainment System

Whats left, the wheels and a glider? They sure deserve a pat on the back for getting it out soon since it was pretty much all built by another company, Clearly GM is dedicated to making American tech great.

LTLFTcomposite said:
All cars are pretty much just assemblies of stuff that comes from suppliers.

Yes...but not all the major systems in the car: motor/battery/inverter/charger !!!
At least Nissan designed most (if not all) of those for our Leafs...even if the (future) battery source is LG.

Back