NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlawren6 said:
Hello to all.

I recently bought a used 13 SV and love it! 2G service here in Indianapolis stopped on 1/3, so I dropped by one of our local Nissan dealers today (Ed Martin) to inquire about the 3G TCU upgrade. The Service Rep was very helpful, took my VIN, but insisted that I need to leave the car for "40 page" pre-evaluation before they can order the new TCU. That initial appointment doesn't seem to the norm for most here when getting TCU upgrade.

Is there some internal document or number that I can point the Service Rep to in order to avoid that initial appointment. I'd like to avoid the hassle of leaving the car at the dealer twice when it appears this should be able to be done in one shot once the TCU is preordered (based on the VIN).

Also, anyone in the Indy area already have their TCU upgraded yet? I'm not opposed to going to another dealer who may be more familiar with the process, assuming I can't get my current dealer on the right track.

Thanks,

Jon

Sounds like they're trying to charge you extra money for an 'inspection' that isn't needed. The only thing they would maybe need to do is confirm that the TCU you have is actually a 2G TCU, but that should be obvious as it's a 2013 model year leaf.

I had the service done last week, and it was about 1.5 hours and a $200 co-pay. When I made the appointment, I made sure they had or would order a 3G TCU so I wouldn't have to drive the 40 mile round trip again.

I think there are some pdf's of the service sheets in previous pages of this forum thread with a lot of details that the dealers have access to.

It's now been a full 2.5 weeks since my upgrade was completed and it's still not connecting. I'm pretty confident the dealer knows what they are doing, as a number of other customers had radios working fine, and now report no connectivity.

I am planning on contacting Nissan Corp for a refund as there appears to be NO progress on resolving this issue. If it had been just even a week, that's fine. Unacceptable on the delay now going on this long and failure to communicate any updates or possible root causes.

UPDATE: My 3G TCU is working correctly. I'm not sure if they updated something on the server side, it just needed more time, or if Nissan Corporate went in and manually fixed it, but it's working as expected now. I took a picture of all the ID numbers in case this happens again someday.

Tried to connect via portal and phone app this morning...still not working.
All zeros on display....have been on escalated list at Nissan consumer line for 11/2 weeks

I contacted Nissan LEAF Customer Service and the resolution is I need to go back to the dealer and they need to "turn on" the new TCU since I had the upgrade before they shut off the 2G service. They said should only take a couple of minutes for LEAF technician to enter correct codes to turn on the new TCU.

EVFuture said:
UPDATE: My 3G TCU is working correctly. I'm not sure if they updated something on the server side, it just needed more time, or if Nissan Corporate went in and manually fixed it, but it's working as expected now. I took a picture of all the ID numbers in case this happens again someday.

How long after you called them and had it escalated did it start working again?

oak said:
EVFuture said:

How long after you called them and had it escalated did it start working again?
I had the upgrade done last Wednesday. Returned to dealership on Friday, where they resubmitted the IMEI to Nissan (they said the VIN didn't attach properly for some reason the first time). I called first thing Monday morning and escalated with Corporate. It began working Tuesday in the very early hours.

chickenwarrior said:
Carwings update. I use this every day. It was working last night @ 10pm EST when I last checked it. It has not worked today in multiple locations via the app or website either one. So it looks like lights out in Louisville, KY

I also contacted my local Nissan dealer in Louisville mid-December about the upgrade and they had no idea what I was talking about. I even gave them some of the info from a letter posted on this site and it didn't help them either. Said they would call me if they ever heard anything. I won't hold my breath.

CW
2012 Nissan Leaf S

****UPDATE 1/10/17****

So I called my dealer and they now know what I am talking about scheduled TCU replacement for yesterday. They called me and said it was all done by 10:00 am and to pick it up. I tried carwings app AND web interface before leaving an neither worked. I arrived at noon and they said it was ready. $199 please. I said I wanted to check it first. I went to the car and it would not update anything as far as stations or carwings. So I called the number to Nissan and pressed the telemetrics options. Spoke to a guy that said I need to re-accept the terms and conditions for it work, on a COMPUTER only. Won't work on a mobile device. So he did something to my carwings account and I accepted the terms and conditions again. It then popped up with the same Nissan Connect PIN but a different password. So I input the new password into the Carwings screen in the car. Still no luck. Can't connect. The NissanConnect Rep told me everytime he has done this for a new TCU is ALWAYS sends out a new password. Since I was still at dealer I had gave their service tech all the info and it still didn't work. So they decided it was a BAD TCU and it would be replaced under warranty, but how did I want to pay for it. Pay for it? I told them I didn't want to pay for it....it didn't work. SO they explained in order to get a warranty replacement they needed to "close the ticket" and I had to pay. I told them I didn't want the upgrade if it didn't work, but I ended up paying and they kept the car.
Also at one point I read in previous posts about the information screen having asterisks in it. When I first got in the car I took a screen shot of that screen and it was ok. After doing the terms and conditions non-sense it well to all asterisks. Then after repeating a second time all the information was back on the screen again.

Day 2 - I just got a call from dealership at 4:30pm that they replaced they TCU and you guessed it. Same thing. No Connection. After calling Nissan themselves they were told it may take up to 48 hours for it to acquire the signal. Seeing several other members on here that got that same answer and were still waiting after 48 hours. I told them to just keep the car. I will update until resolved.

I'm so frustrated about not getting a resolution I have left my Leaf at the dealership and now have a loaner at no cost to me until the dealership and/or Nissan consumer line figure out what's wrong and fix completely!
The consumer line folks are clueless, I keep getting apologies and the claim that it has been expedited to tier 2...is that supposed to give me reassurance? NOT!!!

Wow what a bummer. I'm scheduled to drop my car off Monday for the 3G upgrade I hope it's simpler for me. BTW, did you try Carwings or NissanConnectEV, the new app?

chickenwarrior said:
chickenwarrior said:
Carwings update. I use this every day. It was working last night @ 10pm EST when I last checked it. It has not worked today in multiple locations via the app or website either one. So it looks like lights out in Louisville, KY

I also contacted my local Nissan dealer in Louisville mid-December about the upgrade and they had no idea what I was talking about. I even gave them some of the info from a letter posted on this site and it didn't help them either. Said they would call me if they ever heard anything. I won't hold my breath.

CW
2012 Nissan Leaf S

****UPDATE 1/10/17****

So I called my dealer and they now know what I am talking about scheduled TCU replacement for yesterday. They called me and said it was all done by 10:00 am and to pick it up. I tried carwings app AND web interface before leaving an neither worked. I arrived at noon and they said it was ready. $199 please. I said I wanted to check it first. I went to the car and it would not update anything as far as stations or carwings. So I called the number to Nissan and pressed the telemetrics options. Spoke to a guy that said I need to re-accept the terms and conditions for it work, on a COMPUTER only. Won't work on a mobile device. So he did something to my carwings account and I accepted the terms and conditions again. It then popped up with the same Nissan Connect PIN but a different password. So I input the new password into the Carwings screen in the car. Still no luck. Can't connect. The NissanConnect Rep told me everytime he has done this for a new TCU is ALWAYS sends out a new password. Since I was still at dealer I had gave their service tech all the info and it still didn't work. So they decided it was a BAD TCU and it would be replaced under warranty, but how did I want to pay for it. Pay for it? I told them I didn't want to pay for it....it didn't work. SO they explained in order to get a warranty replacement they needed to "close the ticket" and I had to pay. I told them I didn't want the upgrade if it didn't work, but I ended up paying and they kept the car.
Also at one point I read in previous posts about the information screen having asterisks in it. When I first got in the car I took a screen shot of that screen and it was ok. After doing the terms and conditions non-sense it well to all asterisks. Then after repeating a second time all the information was back on the screen again.

***UPDATE 1/11/17****
I called the # again for Nissan Connect because now I can't get into the app (EVConnect) or on the carwings tab of the web portal since yesterday. I got a very helpful lady and explained the situation and she was very enthusiastic and said "I know how to fix this" So first she told me she needed to remove the other Nissan (Not a leaf) off my Owners Portal account. (Seems useless but OK I said.) Then she cancelled my account and then reinstated it or something like that. She told me I would get a cancellation email (Which I did) and NOT to click on the link in that email and to just ignore it. OK. She verified the information and then asked what I showed as my PIN and password. I gave her my ORIGINAL password from when it worked with 2G and the PIN since that was now what was showing on my account again and she agreed saying that was what she showed as well. Then she explained the process that she had done many times to get the 3G upgrade to work. And I probably didn't have a bad TCU the first time. I was excited to have someone on the phone that knew how to fix this issue! She told me the next time I am in my car, I needed to delete my Nissan Connect EV app from my iPhone, be sure and plug my iPhone directly into the Leaf USB port using ONLY a FACTORY apple usb cable, then proceed the download the app again while plugged into my leaf USB port. Sign in again and everything will work "perfectly" and I will be "So happy"
I am not making this up folks. My Leaf is still at the dealer, but regardless I am not trying any of that non-sense. Now the App does not work at all and keeps wanting me to login. On the Owners Portal I can login, but with my Leaf selected I click on the NissanConnect EV(Carwings) tab and I get this:

"NissanConnectSM EV PIN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) do not match
Your NissanConnectSM EV PIN is no longer associated with the VIN in our records. This may be a result of entering your NissanConnectSM EV PIN and Password in the navigation system of a different LEAF™ than the one originally assigned to you. Until the PIN and VIN are validated, you will be unable to use the NissanConnectSM EV functionality through My Nissan. Please contact our call center at 877-NO GAS EV (664-2738) for help."

Which is the number I have been calling all along. I will call it again later today and try it again to see what story I get

If you are following this thread and plan on doing the upgrade I would highly advise against it until the dealers and Nissan figure out what is going on.

Day 2 - I just got a call from dealership at 4:30pm that they replaced they TCU and you guessed it. Same thing. No Connection. After calling Nissan themselves they were told it may take up to 48 hours for it to acquire the signal. Seeing several other members on here that got that same answer and were still waiting after 48 hours. I told them to just keep the car. I will update until resolved.

chickenwarrior said:
She told me the next time I am in my car, I needed to delete my Nissan Connect EV app from my iPhone, be sure and plug my iPhone directly into the Leaf USB port using ONLY a FACTORY apple usb cable, then proceed the download the app again while plugged into my leaf USB port. Sign in again and everything will work "perfectly" and I will be "So happy"
I am not making this up folks. My Leaf is still at the dealer, but regardless I am not trying any of that non-sense. Now the App does not work at all and keeps wanting me to login. On the Owners Portal I can login, but with my Leaf selected I click on the NissanConnect EV(Carwings) tab and I get this:

Seems like complete BS. Downloading an iOS app over-the-air (wifi or cellular) from the App Store has NOTHING to do w/being plugged into USB anywhere, car or not.

As for launching it while plugged into, the Carwings/NissanConnect app never cared about that and it would seem very strange if they added such hidden functionality.

chickenwarrior said:
chickenwarrior said:
chickenwarrior said:

CW
2012 Nissan Leaf S

****UPDATE 1/10/17****

***UPDATE 1/11/17****
I called the # again for Nissan Connect because now I can't get into the app (EVConnect) or on the carwings tab of the web portal since yesterday. I got a very helpful lady and explained the situation and she was very enthusiastic and said "I know how to fix this" So first she told me she needed to remove the other Nissan (Not a leaf) off my Owners Portal account. (Seems useless but OK I said.) Then she cancelled my account and then reinstated it or something like that. She told me I would get a cancellation email (Which I did) and NOT to click on the link in that email and to just ignore it. OK. She verified the information and then asked what I showed as my PIN and password. I gave her my ORIGINAL password from when it worked with 2G and the PIN since that was now what was showing on my account again and she agreed saying that was what she showed as well. Then she explained the process that she had done many times to get the 3G upgrade to work. And I probably didn't have a bad TCU the first time. I was excited to have someone on the phone that knew how to fix this issue! She told me the next time I am in my car, I needed to delete my Nissan Connect EV app from my iPhone, be sure and plug my iPhone directly into the Leaf USB port using ONLY a FACTORY apple usb cable, then proceed the download the app again while plugged into my leaf USB port. Sign in again and everything will work "perfectly" and I will be "So happy"

Your NissanConnectSM EV PIN is no longer associated with the VIN in our records. This may be a result of entering your NissanConnectSM EV PIN and Password in the navigation system of a different LEAF™ than the one originally assigned to you. Until the PIN and VIN are validated, you will be unable to use the NissanConnectSM EV functionality through My Nissan. Please contact our call center at 877-NO GAS EV (664-2738) for help."

Which is the number I have been calling all along. I will call it again later today and try it again to see what story I get

If you are following this thread and plan on doing the upgrade I would highly advise against it until the dealers and Nissan figure out what is going on.

****Update 1/12/17****

Talked to dealership yesterday. Even gave them my PIN & Password, but car is still not connecting even after putting in the 2nd TCU. They called Nissan and was told my car was "in the Queue to be activated". I hadn't heard that before, but sounds like A good excuse to keep me waiting. Anyway Since they have had my car since 1/9/17 and it is now 1/12/17, the Service Manager gave me a loner Nissan Versa to drive in the meantime. I really have no complaint with the dealership as they have been very accommodating throughout this ordeal.

oak said:
EVFuture said:
For everyone who is having this issue, we should contact Nissan Corporate at (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738), options 1 then 6, and report the issue and request it to be escalated. Hopefully if enough people complain they will realize there is a problem. I don't think the dealership can do anything to fix the issue since it seems to be server side.

https://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus

I just called in and had it escalated. Took about 10 minutes to go through all the troubleshooting before they opened a case number for the techs at Nissan. Might hear back by Thursday.

Latest update: Still not working for me. Haven't heard back from Nissan yet.

mschurig01 said:
I'm so frustrated about not getting a resolution I have left my Leaf at the dealership and now have a loaner at no cost to me until the dealership and/or Nissan consumer line figure out what's wrong and fix completely!
The consumer line folks are clueless, I keep getting apologies and the claim that it has been expedited to tier 2...is that supposed to give me reassurance? NOT!!!

This is very much my experience, and I have a more complex problem of owning a USA vehicle in Canada.

Been having some delightful (read: frustrating) conversations with both Nissan Canada and Nissan USA regarding this issue. Basically, Nissan Corporate has told me to either bring the car to the USA, or go take a hike. I have 32 minutes of audio with their various levels of customer support saying in essence, "we are not interested in helping you."

I have asked the following:

Question: "Can a Canadian TCU be installed in the vehicle?" Answer: No. (no detailed technical reasons why, just trust us.)

Question: "Can you have a US TCU unit shipped to a Canadian dealer to install?" - Answer: If you contact the dealer, arrange to pay the shipping, and you ask a Canadian dealership to install the unit, and you pay for everything without any US subsidy. Then, it might work.

Question: "Can I talk directly to a Telematics technician and possibly get detailed answers?" Answer: HahahahahahahaHAHAHAHA. No. (Although dealerships have this privilege, customers do not.)

Question: "Are you in any way willing to be proactive in your customer service to help what is a pretty oddball situation, with any number of relative straight-forward fixes?" Answer: Have a nice day, sir, this is certainly not our problem.

oak said:
oak said:
EVFuture said:
For everyone who is having this issue, we should contact Nissan Corporate at (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738), options 1 then 6, and report the issue and request it to be escalated. Hopefully if enough people complain they will realize there is a problem. I don't think the dealership can do anything to fix the issue since it seems to be server side.

https://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus

I just called in and had it escalated. Took about 10 minutes to go through all the troubleshooting before they opened a case number for the techs at Nissan. Might hear back by Thursday.

Based on my interaction with their technical support, Nissan EV Connect folks realize they have a problem and are testing some different things to clarify the problem and determine a solution.

Most critically to separate the issue between car TCU configuration side and server side, you should probably make sure the Carwings Unit ID screen is fully populated except for Phone No. That was how they verified with me that there were no missteps in the TCU configuration process.

Remaining issues are likely on the "server/database" side as mine appears to be.

oak said:
anigif_enhanced-20179-1445459174-8_preview.gif

Oak: I have the same problem as you. Finally got the telematics unit working after a week at the Nissan Dealer. Today I had to delete my vehicle info in NissanConnect EV (web app) and ADD a new vehicle with the same VIN information. It regenerated a new CARWINGS userid and password which I had to enter into the unit on the car...again. Once that was done, I tried to access the car from the web app with no luck. Car now is able to download new charging stations (communicate out), but we can't get either of our web app or mobile (Android) app to work (communicate in). Nissan dealer will hold on to the car for a 4th day and call the Nissan help desk for us. (Our Nissan dealer has really been great about all of this...they are as stumped as we are as to what is going on. They have only had 2 other problems and they were easy fixes) :evil:

Went to the dealer earlier this week who acknowledged the problem. Advised to wait for either the system to start working or a call from the dealer. I am getting the message "This service cannot be provided." For $199, I think all of us thought we were paying for a service. I hope this doesn't end up in court and we all are given NCTC cards again .... :roll:

Interesting. I had my upgrade done last week, and I'm in the opposite situation, I can communicate in from outside but the car can't communicate out!

I talked with the dealer again today and they said best advice was to call Nissan EV Connect people. When the snow melts and I have time to sit in the car troubleshooting I probably will.

All I had to do was endure the abominable service from Glendale Nissan, it took an 8 hour day to get this done, even with a service appointment & night before drop off. When I went to the dealer to pick up the car, I paid my $199, and no one bothered to tell me squat about the upgrade. I got home, ate dinner, went out to the car with laptop and cellphone in hand. I did not need either, I just accepted the terms again, plugged in my ID and password, Pin, whatever you want to call it, and 5 minutes later when I checked the App , the car was charging fine, the results were detailed in the App, and I did not have to crawl back to the dealer!

Back