Telematics Control Unit (TCU) Update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douggrif

On December 5th was notified by my local dealer to bring my 2012 Leaf in to update my TCU to 3G service. Cost was $199. Work great.

I went to the dealership and they want to charge me:

$300 for the Telematics Unit
$199 for installation

Are you sure on the price?

Randy

A Nissan dealer was clueless and you were surprised? In my humble opinion, Nissan's dealers are its biggest weakness and one of the things that most makes me want to jump brands to another EV.

Had the upgrade done on our 2011 on Jan 5th, I can turn on climate control, update charge status etc just fine but any attempt to get communication from the car side out fails.

Looks like a call to the helldesk is in my future.

stevewa said:
Had the upgrade done on our 2011 on Jan 5th, I can turn on climate control, update charge status etc just fine but any attempt to get communication from the car side out fails.

Looks like a call to the helldesk is in my future.

Had the same thing to mine. Dealer did not know why and said I had to call sirius. Sirius sent me to nissan leaf owner line. Come to find out the TCU was defective and they will have to order another and reinstall. Owner line said they have seen a bunch of this the last month or so. I do not remember haw we got there. but look under carwings settings and then look for carwings info. On mine the unit number was there but all the under information was ***. She said that was the issue. Plus on any of the screens, the blue car icon was not showing up in the upper right corner.
And as stated above it should be $199. All other costs, nissan is reimbursing the dealership.

I just brought in my '14 for the TCU update. And interestingly, despite the fact that the $199 were mentioned in the notification letter and reiterated by the service advisor, I was charged exactly $0 when I picked up the car. I was told it was covered under warranty. I decided not to question the exact circumstances but was wondering if that happened to someone else.

TCU Upgrade Hell. :eek: :shock: I first went in with the letter. The dealer did not do the upgrade, but led me to believe they did. First week of January I had no communication with the vehicle. I took it back and they said they did not do the upgrade, but would order the part. I took it back (3rd time's a ...#$%)) to have them put in the upgraded TCU. It worked for a week and then my 12v battery died and dies overnight now. I get messages (email) saying that Nissan Connect can not communicate with the car due to weak signal....The car can not be driven unless the 12V is working. I've been back twice now to the dealer to figure out the 12V issue. The Tech says it checks out. No issues with the 12V battery or any systems. I am leaving it overnight for them to see it lose the charge on the 12V battery. I suspect that the TCU, when in a weak signal area, continuously tries to communicate and drains the 12V. If it keeps the charge at the dealer, I will take it home and see if the 12V drains overnight...then I will have to jump the 12V to get it back to the dealer for a 6th time for the same issue :eek: :shock: :shock: :shock:

2015 SV Leaf $45K miles

Chevy Volt, or Bolt on the horizon?

If you want to avoid greedy, dumbass dealerships, you may want to look at the Ioniq EV. Assuming, of course, that your local Hyundai dealer isn't as bad or worse.

I am making a video on youtube under my trytohelpyou channel. that is the name. Bottom line up front, what worked for me to get the CONNECTION to work on SIGN IN was... after many failed attempts i just went to -CARWINGS then -ALL INFORMATION FEEDS -Chose a random feed (2x 3x times). Successfully connected/downloaded a message every time saying you need to register your unit or something. Then i signed in.. ALL WORKS now. My unit was upgraded less than 6 hours ago... working for last 3. hope this helps!

I had my unit upgrade yesterday afternoon. It seems to be working okay now. I can access the Nissan app and the website. I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary.

For those that got the upgrade, does it work any better than the 2G units (aside from those not working at all now)? That is, does it still take forever to just update anything in the app, and fail half the time anyway? (That, at least, was always my experience). My impression was that the problem was Nissan's back-end, not the 2G connection, and that wouldn't have changed.

mishakim said:
For those that got the upgrade, does it work any better than the 2G units (aside from those not working at all now)? That is, does it still take forever to just update anything in the app, and fail half the time anyway? (That, at least, was always my experience). My impression was that the problem was Nissan's back-end, not the 2G connection, and that wouldn't have changed.

The answer to your question is in bold above.
You should follow this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573 for TCU/modem update info.

The replaced Telematic unit (during the 2016 recall) went bad this year. It was working on and off. I took the car to the dealership and they said it is dead. Since it is out of warranty, the dealer quote me $1260.00. I feel it is a rip-off. Any idea how much the unit really cost?

Nearly everything Electronic in the car is expensive. The SV and SL navigation is over 4K. The dealer has to pay Nissan and the tech plus make a profit.I think Nissan only deals in packages, I Know people have had the OEM fix it for much less. The trade off is that it takes a while, Tme the dealer can not afford.

I think if I was buying the car I would have a service contract from Nissan to cover expensive stuff. Since I lease for 3 years the warranty covers everything.

GlennD said:
Nearly everything Electronic in the car is expensive. The SV and SL navigation is over 4K. The dealer has to pay Nissan and the tech plus make a profit.I think Nissan only deals in packages, I Know people have had the OEM fix it for much less. The trade off is that it takes a while, Tme the dealer can not afford.

I think if I was buying the car I would have a service contract from Nissan to cover expensive stuff. Since I lease for 3 years the warranty covers everything.

I understand what you've said. But I was looking if someone has access to pricing and know how much does the unit really cost.
When I ordered the car (back in 2011), I have purchased a Nissan Security plus plan ( it hasn't expired yet), but the dealer told me the plan does not cover this part.
Thanks for your response.

Back