Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GlennD said:
The thing I hate most about my 2016 eGolf Sel is that it locks the charging plug. In most other respects in compares favorably to my ex Mercedes B. So far I love the car.

What happened to the Benz? Did I miss the story?

I was in an accident on Sunday 9/11 and the car was totaled. Being in that property taxes were due I had not the down payment for another B without reaching into my reserves. The VW was a good choice with 1K down. I am very happy with the car. I now have a three year lease instead of 14 payments remaining an my B lease.

I do have a reservation for a Tesla 3 if it really comes to pass. I may have to defer delivery since the VW lease is until September 2019. I hope Tesla makes it but I am not holding my breath. I can afford to lose the down if Tesla bellies up. In these inflated days 1K is no big deal.

I only wish it was.. My Sel has drive assist so it is fairly late. It was leased 9/20/2016. Drive assist was not on the earlier Sel's. I did not find a mfg date on the door panel.

Here is the thread on my accident from the B Class EV forum.

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=590

GlennD said:

Yeah, it wasn't looking good. Glad you're ok, our was Leaf moderately t-boned someone ran a red light, not as much damage so I kept it after it was totaled.

RonDawg said:
asimba2 said:
jlv said:
But, the first few years of e-Golf's have a really bad misfeature if you use shared EVSEs -- the car always locks the charge cord, and it can only be unlocked by the owner of the car. Here at work we have about 40 parking spots served by 20 EVSEs. If you end up getting parked next to an e-Golf you have to wait for the owner to come out and unplug their car.

Your message implies they changed this feature. Did they? It was probably my biggest gripe of the e-Golf.

This feature was changed for the 2016 model.
Was it fixed for 2016? Or later? See GlennD's comment above about his 2016.

Valdemar said:
GlennD said:

Yeah, it wasn't looking good. Glad you're ok, our was Leaf moderately t-boned someone ran a red light, not as much damage so I kept it after it was totaled.

Yeah, the car really protected me. I was surprised that in addition to the steering wheel air bag there was one at foot level. I guess it was to prevent submarining. The car automatically applied the brakes.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108971_volkswagen-e-golf-to-end-when-id-electric-hatchback-launches

Looks like the eGolf is ending. But this latest version will rival the Ioniq.

Wake me up when VW finally has something new to sell.....they are getting as bad as Mitsubishi in coming up with decent concepts that are always years out :(
Personally the e-Golf looks to be a pretty decent car, too bad it's only available in compliance states, I've never seen one in MN.
What I'd really like would be a concept VW introduced a few years ago, the BUDDe which what supposed to be loosely based on the old VW Microbus, again wake me if/when they'd finally come out with something like that.

jjeff said:
Wake me up when VW finally has something new to sell.....they are getting as bad as Mitsubishi in coming up with decent concepts that are always years out :(
Personally the e-Golf looks to be a pretty decent car, too bad it's only available in compliance states, I've never seen one in MN.
What I'd really like would be a concept VW introduced a few years ago, the BUDDe which what supposed to be loosely based on the old VW Microbus, again wake me if/when they'd finally come out with something like that.

Actually the e-Golf is indeed a pretty good car; I took advantage of the rapid depreciation on these and picked up a '15 for about half off list and had it shipped from the NE to Chicago. With our recent mild temps, my range shows 94 miles at 90% charge rate; also the range indicator appears to be much more accurate than the GOM of the first-gen LEAF that I traded in for it. Have driven it about 2K miles since I picked it up in late December. The car has been an absolute blast to drive --- FAST!! (a few sprints to 80+ and it seems to still have more to give). Even though it has LRR tires, corners quite flat and in B-mode off ramps are actually fun. This move may 'orphan' those of us who have one but perhaps some die-hard Golf fans will still want one --- hah! I'll enjoy mine until we see what the Model 3 has to offer ...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108971_volkswagen-e-golf-to-end-when-id-electric-hatchback-launches

Looks like the eGolf is ending. But this latest version will rival the Ioniq.

Thanks for the link, DNA. This is the first I've heard that the I.D. Concept is RWD. That, combined with VW's reputation for drivability, makes it a solid competitor for my next vehicle. Too bad I'll have to wait a few more years.

I am driving to Chicago tomorrow to pick up a used E-golf to bring back to Cincinnati where they do not sell them, 2015 SEL premium so wish me luck having one in a city that has no one to service it

I have had an eGolf SEL since 9/20/2016. So far it has been utterly reliable for six months. I think you will be fine. The only thing I hate about the car is that it locks the J1772 plug in place.

My '15 e-Golf LE is loving this warmer weather -- highest indicated full range to date; scored a 6.4 miles/kWh on the way to a different work site yesterday, translates to a 83 cents commute (76 miles r/t); helped a lot by the stop and go traffic back-up; EV's love these not so much the driver but, with the B selected regen setting its much easier and more efficient than an ICE on the same trip:

VW eGolf range.jpg

Back