55+ psi tire pressure... any reason for that?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
menkster said:
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely at least lower the pressure as opposed to keeping the current inflation. I had also wondered about the effects of prolonged overinflation... of course better safe than sorry and just replace, but easier said than done (or spent). :| At the same time, the visual of having a tire blow out then careening into oncoming traffic is quite visceral...

yeah, not gonna happen. tire blowouts due to high pressure simply isn't reality any more and hasn't been for a long long time.

people who want to abuse their vehicles by pounding them off road; first thing they do is pump up the tires! like waaaay over normal. Better pumped up and trashing suspension than trying to put tire back on rim in the middle of nowhere

LeftieBiker said:
So look to Dave to replace your car if you have one of the blowouts that Chinese tires have been experiencing on American roads, lately.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a9399/why-blowouts-happen-and-how-to-avoid-them-15832078/

OK, I'll repeat myself. If the tire is of poor quality, then is run 20psi over the max for a significant period, then the pressure is reduced to the load limit, I have no confidence that the poor quality tire will be safe and reliable after that. That' s as clear as I can make it.

Well, do we even know it's a cheap tire? 35 psi was the standard only a few years ago. If I were the OP I'd probably just drop down to rated pressure and see what happens.

Nagorak said:
Well, do we even know it's a cheap tire? 35 psi was the standard only a few years ago. If I were the OP I'd probably just drop down to rated pressure and see what happens.

It may seem like "only a few years" but it's more like 20 years ago, in the US.

Back