30 kWh battery in 11-12 or 13-15 Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are easy to change in production when you are building a whole new car all at once. You put the black seats with the black dash with the black center console.. You put in the correct BMS with the correct battery with the correct wiring harness with correct ??? all at once.

Following this post. =) I have 46k miles on the 2013 Leaf S with only 1 bar lost so far. DOn't expect to make warranty because of the relative "durability" of my pack, but am interested in a 30KW upgrade when the time comes. THe fact that it was engineered to fit in the 24kw spaced hole means it IS a doable upgrade. Nissan WILL take car of making it work by reprogramming the controller and making harness adapters. Price will be interesting. And like others said, it will have to drop some. I'm not really interested in spending $6k on a pack now even with my 2013 only worth about $6k market value! Lol. So in 3 years when I'm up to 90k miles and have lost 4 - 5 bars, I won't be interested in a $6k pack when the car is worth $2k. Nissan will figure out the pricing. I mean, if people would rather junk their cars rather than replace the battery, that will be a PR nightmare.

DaveinOlyWA said:
baustin said:
sendler2112 said:
There are also pin-out differences in the wiring harnesses.

Which is apparently easily overcome, judging by the mid-year change from the 24kwh to 30kwh battery packs in the 2016 S model Leaf.

what?

What are you questioning? You need to provide more detail for anyone to attempt to answer.

baustin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
baustin said:
Which is apparently easily overcome, judging by the mid-year change from the 24kwh to 30kwh battery packs in the 2016 S model Leaf.

what?

What are you questioning? You need to provide more detail for anyone to attempt to answer.

I am questioning your assumption that modification of an existing 24 kwh platform to a 30 kwh platform is just as easy as a purposefully built S30

DaveinOlyWA said:
baustin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I am questioning your assumption that modification of an existing 24 kwh platform to a 30 kwh platform is just as easy as a purposefully built S30

I'm saying that doing a mid-year change from a 24kwh battery to a 30kwh battery on an existing model means that it is not impossible to do the change to earlier models. Nissan says no to anyone asking, but has not said it is not possible to do.

baustin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
baustin said:

I'm saying that doing a mid-year change from a 24kwh battery to a 30kwh battery on an existing model means that it is not impossible to do the change to earlier models. Nissan says no to anyone asking, but has not said it is not possible to do.

you are aware that a Nissan employee already stated that it could be done, right?

DaveinOlyWA said:
baustin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

you are aware that a Nissan employee already stated that it could be done, right?

Yes, I read that somewhere. Since you are aware of this, why are you questioning my assumption that it can be done?

The BMS, which would be different, is inside the battery pack. The pack is designed to put out voltage in a specific range. If the connector was changed, the biggest hindrance would be the wiring harness between the battery pack and the car. The major thing stopping this from being done is Nissan, since they control the ability to pair the battery packs to the cars.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Come-on Dave, lighten-up on the negativity! We know you just got rid of your '13 and leased a '16, but in hindsight
just keeping the '13 for a 30 kWh upgrade later may have been a better option in the long run, if a 30 kWh proves
viable in earlier Leaf's.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Come-on Dave, lighten-up on the negativity! We know you just got rid of your '13 and leased a '16, but in hindsight
just keeping the '13 for a 30 kWh upgrade later may have been a better option in the long run, if a 30 kWh proves

I have full faith that my decision was the correct one.

FYI; my response was to his response stating "why I was disputing that the modification was possible" this was his response to my statement that Nissan had already said it was doable...

sorry but there is simply no more I can say...

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I have full faith that my decision was the correct one.

FYI; my response was to his response stating "why I was disputing that the modification was possible" this was his response to my statement that Nissan had already said it was doable...

sorry but there is simply no more I can say...

With over a year gone with 30 kWh models on the road there has to be some totaled cars out there, and, with all S models going to 30 kWh I have renewed hopes that sometime in 2017 we will get a technical solution announce (either 3rd party or not) for fitting a 30 kWh battery in older leafs. I hope...

Purpose of this post is to bump the topic for discussion and troll the forum techies to see if there is new news.

by vwDavid » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:35 am
With over a year gone with 30 kWh models on the road there has to be some totaled cars out there, and, with all S models going to 30 kWh I have renewed hopes that sometime in 2017 we will get a technical solution announce (either 3rd party or not) for fitting a 30 kWh battery in older leafs. I hope...

Purpose of this post is to bump the topic for discussion and troll the forum techies to see if there is new news.

Having followed in a few other people's footsteps and got a 2015 24kWh G2 pack working in my 2011 G1 I'm eager to get my grubby fingers on the 30kWh and give it a try. I have time, facilities, some knowledge & skillful friends. If anyone hears of a bent 30kWh car in NZ please send them to me!

Having followed in a few other people's footsteps and got a 2015 24kWh G2 pack working in my 2011 G1 I'm eager to get my grubby fingers on the 30kWh and give it a try. I have time, facilities, some knowledge & skillful friends. If anyone hears of a bent 30kWh car in NZ please send them to me!

Hi. When you say you got a 2015 pack working in your 2011 car, did you use the original 2011 BMS/LBC that was swapped into the new pack or did you use the 2015 one?

30kWh pack into 24kWh car, backyard style

Has anyone done this yet? From comments I've seen here it seems that the following is true but is any of it confirmed by actual experience?

1/ Physically it fits in the old case
2/ The full and empty voltages are the same so its compatible for charging
3/ Voltage/capacity curve is different and so the range/"fuel gauge" will be inaccurate

If the above is true the next thing I want to know is what happens when the BMS computer from the old car is connected to 30kWh cells*? When my BMS computer got put onto a healthier pack the capacity and SOH gradually climbed up to the level of the actual cells it was now talking to (59Ah, 90%SOH roughly). If it goes onto a 30kWh and the SOH goes above 100% will this cause it to have its mind blown or will it remain calm?

If you reply to this please can you clearly state if you are A) Theorising/guessing/deducing or B) Reporting what you yourself have seen or done?

Finally, should this be a new thread?

Thanks from tiny New Zealand :)

*If you don't understand why this is necessary the quick answer is that there is an ID in the BMS computer that the car needs to see and Nissan won't let anyone but themselves reprogram it. If you want the long answer read some of the older posts in this thread :D

Back