2013 Leaf SL, should I buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neurosion

Hi all,

I've been coveting the Leaf since 2011. Was planning to hold out another year before buying, but my old Civic unexpectedly failed. Looking forward to joining this community earlier than expected. :D

I was all set to buy a certified pre-owned 2013 SL with 12 bars and premium package for $9k. While verifying all the features I realized it does not in fact have the premium package as the salesman claimed. Despite this the dealership won't budge on the price.

Now I'm hesitating. Is the car still a good deal at $9k? Am I likely to find one with the premium package for a similar price if I keep searching? I'd really like to have the AroundCam, but the lowest price I see on Carfax or Carmax for an SL with confirmed premium package is $10.5k.

Would appreciate any advice!

The SV without Premium is definitely worth less than the ones with it. They are the last non-S cars to sell. I'd try for some kind of discount, or maybe a dirt cheap extended warranty (Try Nissan's Gold Preferred, and insist on $500, no more). Failing that, it really depends on how much you want Premium (four cameras and the Bose stereo upgrade). If you definitely want it, you'll regret not getting it. If it's just the salescreature's dishonesty that's bugging you, make them pay for it.

How does the mileage compare to those other Leafs? If it has fewer miles and more capacity bars that could account for the difference.

It is possible to swap out the stereo and speakers, although you may lose some of the features such as the backup camera. It might be something worth looking into, although in that case you probably would be better off dropping down to an S.

$9k for a 2013 SL seems a bit much, even with 12 bars. I'd walk away, and see if they come crawling back. I originally was going to buy my 2012 SL for $8k, I walked away after initially being excited, the dealership offered it to me for $6k a week later.

Neurosion said:
Hi all,

I've been coveting the Leaf since 2011. Was planning to hold out another year before buying, but my old Civic unexpectedly failed. Looking forward to joining this community earlier than expected. :D

I was all set to buy a certified pre-owned 2013 SL with 12 bars and premium package for $9k. While verifying all the features I realized it does not in fact have the premium package as the salesman claimed. Despite this the dealership won't budge on the price.

Now I'm hesitating. Is the car still a good deal at $9k? Am I likely to find one with the premium package for a similar price if I keep searching? I'd really like to have the AroundCam, but the lowest price I see on Carfax or Carmax for an SL with confirmed premium package is $10.5k.

Would appreciate any advice!

If you have this claim in writing, I think it should be very easy indeed to get a lower price. (This, btw, is why I always print out the online description of a vehicle before going to see it in person.) Mention your state attorney general's office, and you should be good to go.

Nagorak said:
How does the mileage compare to those other Leafs? If it has fewer miles and more capacity bars that could account for the difference.

It is possible to swap out the stereo and speakers, although you may lose some of the features such as the backup camera. It might be something worth looking into, although in that case you probably would be better off dropping down to an S.

Just as a follow-up, I looked into it more and it does look like you can swap out the stereo. With proper adapters you should be able to maintain all functionality including backup camera, etc. I intend to eventually do this with my own Leaf, but probably not until I have some more free time.

Nagorak said:
Nagorak said:

Just as a follow-up, I looked into it more and it does look like you can swap out the stereo. With proper adapters you should be able to maintain all functionality including backup camera, etc. I intend to eventually do this with my own Leaf, but probably not until I have some more free time.
I don't think you want to do that.

Buying an OEM headunit w/nav is VERY expensive. The OEM head unit on an SV or SL has the nav and integration w/the climate control and various EV specific displays (e.g. stuff via the Zero Emissions button). Swap it to a non-Leaf one and there goes all of that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

OP: What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

I think Sage is asking where the vehicle in question has resided. See via Carfax and/or Autocheck. Having resided in hot climates = greater capacity loss. And, if it's from a hot climate w/all 12 capacity bars showing, it's possible it's the victim of a BMS reset and didn't actually have all 12.

@Cwerdna, I was just pointing out that '12 bars' leaves an uncertainty of up to 15% of useful range.

Does a BMS reset affect the LEAFspy report ?

SageBrush said:
@Cwerdna, I was just pointing out that '12 bars' leaves an uncertainty of up to 15% of useful range.

LeafSpy will always provide the actual value of the key Leaf battery parameter of Ahrs.

SageBrush said:
I unfortunately don't recall. :oops:

Someone will need to go back and look at threads for those who were likely victims and also had Leaf Spy readings during the time the BMS relearned the pack.

you want our advice but gave us nearly ZERO details.

what is the mileage?
where did the car live?
what "does" it have if not premium?

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

LeafSpy will always provide the actual value of the key Leaf battery parameter of Ahrs.
Thanks, good to know.

Do you know what CANbus number is affecting the bars in the reset ?
Probably not, since the bars has also been a mystery how it is calculated. That reset might be a clue

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

Thanks, good to know.

Do you know what CANbus number is affecting the bars in the reset ?
Probably not, since the bars has also been a mystery how it is calculated. That reset might be a clue

It's better to post this on the LeafSpyPro thread and ask Jim who designed that app.

cwerdna said:
I don't think you want to do that.

Buying an OEM headunit w/nav is VERY expensive. The OEM head unit on an SV or SL has the nav and integration w/the climate control and various EV specific displays (e.g. stuff via the Zero Emissions button). Swap it to a non-Leaf one and there goes all of that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

I don't have an SL or SV, I have an S, which doesn't have any of that stuff integrated anyway. To swap out the S's unit you just have to connect the backup camera and the steering wheel controls to the new unit.

That's why I am saying the OP could drop down to an S and swap out the stereo as an alternative. Maybe it's not what they want to do, it's just a suggestion. I agree buying a more expensive model and then removing the head unit sounds like a bad idea.

Thanks everyone who gave their thoughts. I did walk away from the original deal. That same dealership offered me a different 2013 SL with premium package for $9.5k (previously listed at $10.5k). I talked a different dealership into pricematching and bought it. Really happy with the Leaf overall, except for Carwings/NissanConnect not working, but that's bad on me for not doing enough research.

Yeah, I was bummed about the 3G upgrade too but it was also part of the reason I bought the car so I'm having it done to mine. Did you get a chance to run Leafspy? That really is the best way to get the condition of the battery. Mine has gone up almost 1Ah and Hx and SOH have also gone up by about 1.5% since I bought it and am now using it. Same temperatures.

Back