LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveinOlyWA said:
reeler said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
It should be obvious Nissan is trying to clear out inventory with the unreal pricing programs they have going right now. Sorry but you don't have a fire sale unless you plan to have a fire

They have had crazy pricing for a couple years mainly driven by the fact that there were better EV options at the price they were asking, e.g., e500, Soul, Golf. I think pricing will remain low to move a dated model with sub-par Nav. With a new model competitive with the Bolt and Model 3, we will see similar pricing for Nissan.

I am more than willing to dispute your claim... care to post any examples from any period of 2015 or the first half of 2016?

or should I say simply "well is MUCH crazier now!"

The sales have more than doubled the last 2 months of 2016 and I suspect Jan (a traditionally slow month) will be even better...

A month or two before the first 2016 model arrived (and when news about it was similarly scarce), you could buy a new 2015 SV with LED + Charge package (so LED headlights, QC port, hybrid heater) for $25k (before any tax credits). Oh, and financed at 0% for up to 6 years as I recall.

They continued this sale for the 2016 model too, but I think low gas prices also contributed to this.

I'm unaware of any current sales going on (not in the market now :) ) so I can't judge the level of fire sale. But it's not unprecedented to have deep discounts offered.

DaveinOlyWA said:
surprised you think that Nissan "recently" started over at square one.

as far as announcing a product early? pretty much the dumbest idea EVER...

It should be obvious Nissan is trying to clear out inventory with the unreal pricing programs they have going right now. Sorry but you don't have a fire sale unless you plan to have a fire
I am more than willing to dispute your claim... care to post any examples from any period of 2015 or the first half of 2016?

December lease rates were similar to when I bought in 2013. Ofcourse, we are all reading tea leafs here. One speculation is as good as another.

But in general Nissan seems to do things slowly. Remember double the battery size for $5k more ? Didn't happen. How long did they take to even start making batteries in the US ... or the 30 kWh model was much later than anticipated.

In terms of battery, think about all the news about the battery supplier change speculations from a year (?) ago. Ghosn said - LG makes the best batteries. I think a clear indication of what he wanted to do. I'd guess the commercial discussions would have started sometime around that time - followed by design and engineering. Lets say it takes 3 years to get the cars with the new batteries out. we are talking about mid 2018, then ? Also, recently there were reports that initial Gen 2 Leaf won't have 200 miles. May be it will be lesser - with 200 mile Leaf coming in 2018.

Compared to earlier indications (see first page) Leaf 2 is already quite late. If they had the batteries, what is really taking Nissan thins long ? I'm happy to be proved wrong - but not going with optimism this time.

Updated with links :

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=20247 (Leaf 2 coming out in ... 2018 ?)

2015Japansm.png

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=20222 (Nissan CEO Ghosn : “Best Battery Maker Is LG Chem")

reeler said:
I bought my 2016 SV about a year ago for $7600 off MSRP plus a free charger. With the $7500 Federal and $6000 state incentives, a pretty cheap car for sure.

and that is a good deal no doubt

Colorado has those bulk buys going. I think there are similar deals today. I think a good one was going in Texas too.

The LEAF is very popular here. I wish I could get my kids to drive one, but no luck.

reeler said:
Colorado has those bulk buys going. I think there are similar deals today. I think a good one was going in Texas too.

The LEAF is very popular here. I wish I could get my kids to drive one, but no luck.

California, WA, OR GA, MO, Kansas among others I haven't heard about no doubt.

LEAF has pretty much been a good deal since 2013 but check out today's pricing. It has gone from very good to unreal.

Keep in mind that the Leaf is the only non-Tesla EV available outside of CARB states. As far as i know, here in GA, if I wanted to buy a new EV today, my only non-Tesla option is still a Leaf.

Joe6pack said:
Keep in mind that the Leaf is the only non-Tesla EV available outside of CARB states. As far as i know, here in GA, if I wanted to buy a new EV today, my only non-Tesla option is still a Leaf.
You might be able to get an Electric Smart Car at Buckhead MB, the i3 at Atlanta BMW and the Ford Focus Electric should be available in GA as well. Overall, I think the Leaf is a better car than the Smart Car or the Ford - and i3 is a little spend-y and may have some reliability issues. (Now, if the Smart Car had a big enough battery to get around the metroplex, that might be a different story...)

LeftieBiker said:
The last Nissan leaf lease quote I saw was terrible. Have a link to a good one, for an SV?
No super giveaways in New York that I could find even on the left over 2016's in December and those cars are now long gone.

Ah, yes. I forgot about the i3. I test drove one years ago. Interesting car, but what they want for what you get is ridiculous. I just ran a search on cars.com and there are 3 Focus electrics within 250 miles. Only one is in GA, but of course this search isn't exhaustive. But you are right, they are available, so there's that.

Joe6pack said:
Ah, yes. I forgot about the i3. I test drove one years ago. Interesting car, but what they want for what you get is ridiculous. I just ran a search on cars.com and there are 3 Focus electrics within 250 miles. Only one is in GA, but of course this search isn't exhaustive. But you are right, they are available, so there's that.

Ford has always said that they basically build the Focus EV to order. They never planned on building up inventory and trying to sell it. But it is supposedly available in all 50 states. So yes, you can get one. But you have to really want one, and basically buy it sight-unseen.

Here is something new and interesting. Spy shots!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2018-nissan-leaf-spy-photos/#slide-4436002

ampitupco said:
Here is something new and interesting. Spy shots!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2018-nissan-leaf-spy-photos/#slide-4436002

Holy cow, that is very obviously a heavy refresh of the existing car given that the doors, windshield, and little mini-windows in the A-pillars are identical to the '11-'17 models. Example: http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/620/420/cms/images/cars/nissan/leaf/2014/2014-nissan-leaf-oem/219636.jpg

I can't believe Nissan is going to drag this platform out even longer. Maybe they're going to compete on price?

Nose (front bumper) is unreasonably protruding. There is absolutely nothing inside.
Making nose longer for aerodynamical reasons is not a good idea. Leaf was not a
"ultra long full size hatchback big outside small inside" - it should try to stay in a compact class.

There will definitely be problems with charging cord scraping front bumpers clear-coat.
Headlights look fine, taillights look even worse than today.
Also rear hatch is unreasonably short (rear bumper top edge is too high).
Rear bumper air diffusers make it look like Leaf is CUV style, which is stupid.

They try to add self-parking ability, maybe even adaptive cruise control and lane keep asisst.
It looks like they try to catch up and not make a innovative vehicle like it was in 2010.
Most of the modifications are only look based. Therefore it is more like facelift/lifecycle impulse.

Padding in the rear wheel arches is welcomed.

gene said:
I never expected to say this but, I think I like the looks of the current Leaf better!!!!

When camouflaging a vehicle automakers purposely aim for hideous. Wait until you see the car in the flesh before deciding on its appearance.

Nissan wants to have the best price, so keeping the same platform saves them a tremendous amount of money.

Looking at the spy shots I don't think for a moment that its the same platform as the current Leaf. It's definitely a new design platform. The wheelbase is longer and I may be mistaken but the width or "track" looks a little wider as well. Underneath all the tape and coverings I think it looks a lot like an artists rendering which appeared a few months ago here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/11/23/nissan-exec-new-leaf-unveiled-soon-new-design-battery/

and here:

http://carttraction.com/2018-nissan-leaf/

If it ends up looking like these renderings, I for one, would be happy.

Looks fine to me. Important thing in my mind is that hopefully this means we are getting close to it being unveiled and becoming available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back