First few weeks with my used Leaf... Insurance sticker shock!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Yes, I don't know why the Leaf is relatively expensive to insure... When I turned mine in and went to the Gen 2 Volt, my rates feel by about 20%...

Repair costs. But if it's totaled they win, "here is your $5K check" :)

RonDawg said:
EVDRIVER said:
Not all insurance companies are the same, when you have a serious claim that's when you see what your premium paid for, Some companies drop you on one accident, AAA is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with and the don;t jerk you around, I once had GEICO when I left an AAA area, it was a horrible experience. I got a quote on a Tesla, it was not much more than a Toyota truck with the same coverage.

AAA is on my personal hate list after they dropped me many years ago when I was in college. When I did have a claim with them they were also very difficult to deal with. I only ask for their quotes for comparison purposes.

had them 30 years. Never dropped. GEICO dropped people all the time. I guess it's about the area and actuary tables.

I just insured my 2013 SL through Liberty Mutual. We have all our cars insured through them. The 2013 SL is going to cost me $2.50/month ($30 a year) more than the 2011 Jetta TDI it is replacing. This is for the 100/300/100 insurance with a $500 deductible. No deductible glass coverage too - there are a lot of dirt roads where I live, and this is worth paying for on all our vehicles.

I will also say that Liberty Mutual was fabulous the time my husband's subaru was totaled. The accident was the other driver's fault and their insurance company tried to low-ball the value of his car. Liberty Mutual did a second appraisal at our request, gave us full NADA book value (almost $2k more than the other company's estimate), and then went after the other insurance company for the difference. They saved us a ton of money and a lot of hassle.

Jefe said:
wow, that's insane! I'm on State Farm and I saw an increase as well with my Leaf (coming from a Prius), but only in the $40/month range.
I pay $118/month for a '13 Leaf and a '16 Highlander. The Leaf costs more than the brand new Highlander, btw.

I did get a quote from Geico recently that was around $79/month. I just haven't made the switch yet because I'm change averse.

Hey great news. I just got notified in my renewal that State Farm has reclassified my vehicle and the premiums went down!! I'll be saving over $3/month!! :roll:

Back