Swapping 2016 Radio into 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis

I have a 2012 and had the battery replaced recently. While it was getting replaced I had a 2016 loaner. I would like to put the 2016 radio into my 2012.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they didn't change the wiring at all for this new radio. It seems to display all the same info for the most part.

What do you guys think the chances are of this being a plug n' play install?

arnis said:

Because the 2016 does HD Radio. It also works a heck of a lot better. It has a better looking user interface. The maps would be updated.

I found one in a junk yard however I wanted to see if anyone knows if this is even possible before I waste money.

Travis said:
Anyone??? I'm tempted to just try it.
Having a 2011, I can see why... It was old before it was sold. If you decide to lead, may you not bleed.

Somebody here knows... Well...?

JimSouCal said:
If you decide to lead, may you not bleed.

That may be the best piece of advice yet. I think I'm just going to order it and try it.

The radio is the same form factor. The dash looks totally unchanged for the most part. I would bet money they didn't change the connector on the harness. Further I would venture to guess that it isn't "married" to the car. If they did it logically it just listens to the CAN bus and displays the information and allows you to change a few car settings.

The only thing I can think of that I would lose would be the ability to charge to 80% (since it doesn't have that option inside the menus).

I'll just buy it and report back the results.

Dont sue me if wrong, but i think they are the same. Mine went south on my 2012, nissan was going to order a new one for a grand. In the end, i took it apart and fixed it myself. Nevertheless, the dealer led me to believe thst they were all compatible. There are wiring diagrams out there, you can check those. Maybe the junk yard will let you plug it in before you buy.

It is easy removing it.

Travis said:
I'll just buy it and report back the results.
You are more brave than me... I'd really just like to swap out the entire Clarion OEM branded unit with something real cool... That said, your approach is a step forward... Hoping for total success.... Standing by... Quick thought: have you thought to ask any local specialty shops what they might upgrade with just to see what they say?

If you want to update for other things, take a chance. If you want to update the maps, be aware that there appears to be very few updates to the map database between my 2011 and 2015. I doubt the maps would be much better with 2016.

Gerry

Well folks, I am about to attempt this project as well. However, the 2016 Radio I found//Bought on eBay, looks nothing like the one in my LEAF. (Appears to be the same size, but it has knobs)

Any ideas?

I should have it in my hot little hands by next week. Looking at the pictures, the wiring harness looks a bit different, but the radio does have the "Pig Tails" still plugged in.

The reasons I'm doing this is 'cause (1) The Radio is Cheaper than the 3G upgrade, and (2) I really miss the Android Radio I had in my last car.

Time will tell.

leafgak said:
Well folks, I am about to attempt this project as well. However, the 2016 Radio I found//Bought on eBay, looks nothing like the one in my LEAF. (Appears to be the same size, but it has knobs)

Any ideas?

I should have it in my hot little hands by next week. Looking at the pictures, the wiring harness looks a bit different, but the radio does have the "Pig Tails" still plugged in.

The reasons I'm doing this is 'cause (1) The Radio is Cheaper than the 3G upgrade, and (2) I really miss the Android Radio I had in my last car.

Time will tell.

Me thinks you don't know what you're doing:
1) Sounds like you bought an "S" trim head unit (with knobs) to put in an "SV/SL" trim (touchscreen)
2) The "radio" (head unit?) has nothing to do with the TCU/modem 3G upgrade (other than providing wireless access); CarWings/NissanConnect still will not work!

Of course, I don't know what I am doing, however, the 2016 Radio will also have the HEATER/AC Control Bezel as well. SO, I would ask if you know so much, please tell me how to do this, or if it's even possible. - I have to admit, someone telling me how would be a lot better than reverse engineering this set up on my own, WITH no wiring diagrams. (I can't seem to find a source)

Are you saying the NISSAN CONNECT, that was working in the 2016 won't work with the 2012, or what exactly are you trying to tell me by saying I know not what I am doing? - Some constructive help would be greatly appreciated, if you can supply it. - Thanks in advance.

leafgak said:
Are you saying the NISSAN CONNECT, that was working in the 2016 won't work with the 2012, or what exactly are you trying to tell me by saying I know not what I am doing? - Some constructive help would be greatly appreciated, if you can supply it. - Thanks in advance.

That's basically what I'm saying: don't do it.

Well, I will be doing it.

But here's the deal:

Right now, with the 2012 (2G) Radio I no longer have NISSAN CONNECT.

If, when I get done with the install of the 2016, I still don't have it, then I have lost NOTHING! (But the time involved.)

AND, If, when I get done I have the ability to access IHEART & Pandora, I will consider that I am coming out ahead.

I prefer those apps over NISSAN CONNECT.

Now, when I get done, if I have no Radio (and/or) No Climate Control, the 2012 Radio will be re-installed and the 2016 will go back on eBay.

But a quick test showed that the Radio DOES FIRE UP. (I gotta "fit" the AM/FM Antenna Adapter)

As I said, Time will tell.

Presently it's TOO DARN COLD here in CO to be playing with this thing.

UPDATE to this little Project

I installed (Stuck it into the area) and connected as many wiring harnesses I had that would fit between the two. (Needless to say, I had some wiring harnesses "left over".

Right "out of the box", the XM Satellite worked, but the AM/FM did not. (More Later) I was able to pair the Bluetooth, but it was difficult AND - no audio from it.

The AM/FM part came to life after I made a MINOR alteration to the Antennae Socket on the 2016 Stereo. (The 2012 antennae connector had 1 "key", and the 2016 had 2. I "modified" the 2016 Socket to accommodate the older antennae wire plug. (If the 2016 radio ever gets put back into a 2016 vehicle, it will connect just fine.)

So, after realizing that I needed more info (PIN OUTS) to finish the Reverse Engineering I need to do, I put the Old Stereo back in, and scheduled the conversion for a later date.

I have had absolutely no luck in finding the PIN OUTS for the 2016, does anyone have that info?

I'd love to finish this up.

One more thing, If I used the 2016 Heater Control, would it work. It connected and definitely controlled the FAN and looked like it was doing everything else, but I had it in the car for such a short period of time, I just couldn't tell if it worked or not. I really like the layout of that model unit.

I will post more when I know more......

The S climate controler (Nissan calls it "AC Auto Amp") won't work with the 2011/2012 SV/SL PTC heater. There's a PWM circuit for the water pump for the heater that is not present in the S models (since they use an air PTC heater instead of water).

The 2013+ SV/SL AC Auto Amp is also incompatible with the 2011-2012 systems.

Hate to bump an old thread, but would the heater controls from a 2015-2017 S work in a 2015 SL? The factory radio sucks and the climate control is my only concern when going with an aftermarket Android Auto head unit.

JeremyW said:
The S climate controler (Nissan calls it "AC Auto Amp") won't work with the 2011/2012 SV/SL PTC heater. There's a PWM circuit for the water pump for the heater that is not present in the S models (since they use an air PTC heater instead of water).

The 2013+ SV/SL AC Auto Amp is also incompatible with the 2011-2012 systems.

Back