InsideEVs Calls EVSE a "Charger"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
rmay635703 said:
In my mind EVSE should not exist for l1, total waste of money plugging a ground fault into another ground fault outlet.
Sounds like you have a lack of understanding of the other functions of an EVSE.

Besides the problem of the plugs on both ends not being able to withstand a large # of cycles.
I understand it's functions and believe it is unnecessary. (I work as an engineer at my day job)

My 1981 comutacar has the original inlet, it's seen a lot of use still works fine.

Both ends on a 110vac energized is a non issue and standard practice on everything but an EV since it's plugged into a gfi if I were standing in the Atlantic Ocean it would simply trip.

I've gone through 3 EVSE s about 1 a year twice for failure of the j end once for the 110vac end.

J ends are totally useless in climates that freeze.

Covered under warranty but if I have to ever buy one myself a signal generator and standard outlet are taking its place.

A sub $5 part may not last as long but since the EVSE breaks anyway it will be much cheaper to maintain normal extension cords and inlets over the life of the car.

rmay635703 said:
cwerdna said:
rmay635703 said:
In my mind EVSE should not exist for l1, total waste of money plugging a ground fault into another ground fault outlet.
Sounds like you have a lack of understanding of the other functions of an EVSE.

Besides the problem of the plugs on both ends not being able to withstand a large # of cycles.
I understand it's functions and believe it is unnecessary. (I work as an engineer at my day job)

My 1981 comutacar has the original inlet, it's seen a lot of use still works fine.

Both ends on a 110vac energized is a non issue and standard practice on everything but an EV since it's plugged into a gfi if I were standing in the Atlantic Ocean it would simply trip.

I've gone through 3 EVSE s about 1 a year twice for failure of the j end once for the 110vac end.

J ends are totally useless in climates that freeze.

Covered under warranty but if I have to ever buy one myself a signal generator and standard outlet are taking its place.

A sub $5 part may not last as long but since the EVSE breaks anyway it will be much cheaper to maintain normal extension cords and inlets over the life of the car.

120V inlets do not last long and you are suggesting adding a second or third inlet just for this L1 that would most certainly have a high failure rate. If you are an engineer you should know this assuming you are an EE. I have not heard of high failure rates on J1772 in cold weather at all, not on any well built EVSE units or otherwise.

The inlet on my 81 comutacar is original and has been used 10's of thousands of times in the last 30 odd years, I can still buy that same inlet housing and all for under $20 .

I can live with a high failure rate if it reduces the cost a factor of 10.

Also our trucks here use standard 20 amp inlets for shore power, the failure rate is very low. (Based on the service orders for that part)

The only reason you have not heard of high failure rates in cold climates is because under 10% of EVs are used in fridged climates. (If the us ev ownership map is to be believed)

The three other ev owners I know here all have had their EVSE break during the winter at some point.

Its very common for the connector to get water inside while charging making the EVSE difficult to insert the next time

Unless your car only charges in a heated garage mine charges outdoors year round.

I live in a cold climate. I use an L-1 charging station mounted on an outside wall. My car is always parked outside, exposed to winds coming off the Hudson River. After three years the EVSE still works fine. I have never seen an L-2 station here stop working, just a few that were installed improperly and had to be fixed when new. There is no topic here on EVSEs regularly failing after a year. I don't usually say this, but you may want to quit your day job, and join a band.

Just plugged into an L2 Blink EVSE..
My phone told me thanx for plugging into their charger (or something like that, I cleared it. Definitely said charger).

So, I just now loaded up my Blink app.
And it shows the name of the device I am plugged into as the "Charger name." And the information below is "Charger history" and it has L2 and QCs in there..

Like it or not.. Accurate or not (and we could go back and forth on alternate definitions for words and why some definitions happen just because that is what people decide)..

From the public perspective.. It's a charger.. ;-)

desiv

LeftieBiker said:
CVS regularly sends me emails addressed to "Micheal." Should I change my name to reflect that?
Interesting non-sequitor, as you are not "the public" (although you are a member) and you know what your name is.... The general public doesn't know/care about the EVSE/Charger divide and will more likely take the "experts" (in their mind - websites/companies, etc) view over a smaller number of people posting on a forum.. Especially if it's simpler.. ;-)

But in answer to your question..
I'd recommend not, unless you prefer Micheal.. ;-)

desiv

LeftieBiker said:
CVS regularly sends me emails addressed to "Micheal." Should I change my name to reflect that?

I choose to rely on "alternative facts" Michael.

Back