Enphase field MTBF: M190: ~36 Years M215: ~316 Years M250: >357 Years

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just learned about the HD inverters today reading RegGuheert's links.
SolarEdge continues to sell both their HD and non HD inverters, and at similar prices. The only difference I can find so far is that HD do not come in high kW models. Even the warranties are the same. Is this a no-brainer for my 340w * 10 panel system if I choose SE and 400 watt optimizers ?

By the way, the system will be installed in sunny winter colorado at 6300 ft. If any (livable) place can exceed STC, it's my place ! :mrgreen:

ltbighorn said:
SageBrush said:
Thanks very much everybody for the input and links.

One more question, if I may: The SE inverters vary little in price from 3.4 to 6.0 kW.
Any downsides to be aware of in oversizing the inverter for the expected production ?

There may be other factors, but at least one is that an inverter is less efficient below certain output levels. For SolarEdge you can find some inverter efficiency charts here:

http://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/application_note_solaredge_inverters_efficiency.pdf
Thanks, tremendous graphs.

A dumb question about units:
The x axis shows kVA units, but the numbers are from 0 to ~ 3500 (for the 3500 watt inverter)
Is that correct ? My understanding of electricity is pretty mediocre, and does not go much further than volts * amps = watts.

SageBrush said:
I just learned about the HD inverters today reading RegGuheert's links.
SolarEdge continues to sell both their HD and non HD inverters, and at similar prices. The only difference I can find so far is that HD do not come in high kW models. Even the warranties are the same. Is this a no-brainer for my 340w * 10 panel system if I choose SE and 400 watt optimizers ?
I misspoke earlier: Unless your PV modules have more than 60 cells, you are limited to 320W optimizers. If they are 72-cell modules, then definitely go with the 400s. Yeah, if the HD Wave inverters are the same price, I'd definitely buy that. I had assumed they would be more expensive. The performance of those units are simply amazing!
SageBrush said:
By the way, the system will be installed in sunny winter colorado at 6300 ft. If any (livable) place can exceed STC, it's my place ! :mrgreen:
Yeah, don't purchase S280s for use with 340Wp PV modules. You'd likely lose a bit of production that way. If you go with SolarEdge, get opt for the higher-power optimizers that will work with your PV modules.

Good luck!

SageBrush said:
ltbighorn said:
SageBrush said:
A dumb question about units:
The x axis shows kVA units, but the numbers are from 0 to ~ 3500 (for the 3500 watt inverter)
Is that correct ? My understanding of electricity is pretty mediocre, and does not go much further than volts * amps = watts.
That's correct and works every time for D.C. power like you get from the panel itself. But the inverter produces AC power and the units for output "power" in AC is known as "VoltAmperes", or VA. That unit means the RMS value of the magnitude of the output power. So, how is that different from Watts? The difference is than in DC power there is no phase angle or any distortion in the waveforms. In AC, there can be both of these things, to the point that if the phase of the current is offset from the phase of the voltage by 90 degrees, no power actually flows. If the phase is more than 90 degrees out, power flows in the opposite direction. There are many different powers which can be calculated in AC systems depending on what you care about. I *think* (without looking it up) the power meter on your house measures the real component of the power which flows (ignoring the imaginary component which just basically just sloshes back and forth and heats up their wires). So, if your inverters do not produce the current in-phase with the voltage, the VA will be higher than the power that is delivered.

Modern solar inverters typically DO produce output current in phase with the voltage waveform, but many, such as the new S280, can be used by the power company to help them correct for problems they have with phase angle. If they do that, the VA out will be higher than the power you get credited for delivering. The efficiency curves will be dictated by the higher VA number.

So, yes, the correct units are VA (or kVA), but in your application, you can just think of kVA as KW and you'll be in good shape.

Aren't you glad you asked? :)

Thanks, RegGuheert

400 watt optimizers and HD inverter from SolarEdge it is then.
If I'm lucky the solid state components in the SE inverter will be reliable, standardized, and replaceable ...
Nah. Well at least the inverter is not expensive ;-)

RegGuheert said:
So, yes, the correct units are VA (or kVA), but in your application, you can just think of kVA as KW and you'll be in good shape.

Aren't you glad you asked? :)
Yes, and thanks for the explanation!

However ...
if the units are kW, shouldn't the scale be from 0 to ~ 3.5 rather than 0 - 3500 ?

SageBrush said:
However ...
if the units are kW, shouldn't the scale be from 0 to ~ 3.5 rather than 0 - 3500 ?
Ha, ha! Is THAT what you were asking?? :oops:

You are correct. SolarEdge has the units wrong on every graph in that document. I didn't notice that. The correct unit is "VA".

RegGuheert said:
SageBrush said:
However ...
Ha, ha! Is THAT what you were asking?? :oops:

You are correct. SolarEdge has the units wrong on every graph in that document. I didn't notice that. The correct unit is "VA".
Ah, good.

I was afraid that my 8th grade level physics education was for naught :mrgreen:

RegGuheert said:
Modern solar inverters typically DO produce output current in phase with the voltage waveform, but many, such as the new S280, can be used by the power company to help them correct for problems they have with phase angle. If they do that, the VA out will be higher than the power you get credited for delivering. The efficiency curves will be dictated by the higher VA number.
Hi Reg,

Do you know of any POCOs that are actually doing this? If so, what are the terms for the consumer, do they get credit based on the VA (rather than the reduced Watts), plus a little extra for their trouble?

Cheers,
Wayne

wwhitney said:
Do you know of any POCOs that are actually doing this?
Not to my knowledge. However, I had thought that Hawaiian Electric would require this with their new laws on January 1, 2016, but it appears they will instead force customers to use storage to keep their generation off the grid. I suppose that is simply more practical because it keeps the lines of control clear: The utility controls their stuff while the customer controls their own.
wwhitney said:
If so, what are the terms for the consumer, do they get credit based on the VA (rather than the reduced Watts), plus a little extra for their trouble?
I've often wondered the same thing. But I am unsure of one important detail: As the power factor is reduced, does the reactive power simply increase without any loss of what is delivered to the grid, or does the amount of power exported decrease as the power factor is reduced? Or perhaps it does the prior below max inverter output power and the latter once the limit is reached? I simply do not know, but it would make a big difference to me if I were the customer.

Frankly, that's one reason I decided to go ahead an purchase fourth-generation inverters. Then there is no chance of any of that happening with my system. But I'm pretty sure it HAS to happen at some point. It seems there may be a few more hurdles before this comes into practice.

RegGuheert said:
As the power factor is reduced, does the reactive power simply increase without any loss of what is delivered to the grid, or does the amount of power exported decrease as the power factor is reduced? Or perhaps it does the prior below max inverter output power and the latter once the limit is reached?
I'm pretty sure this last idea is correct, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers, Wayne

RegGuheert said:
I may have just experienced the first failure of a four-generation inverter including an integrated ground. (To my knowledge, all failures of M215s that I have recorded to date were the early ones without the "IG" suffix.) I currently have four of the latest-style fourth-generation M215IGs on my roof that include the metal case. They were built in week 45 of 2015. One of those four inverters malfunctioned yesterday. It had a dropout at about 12:30 PM with no event recorded in the log. Then at about 2:00 PM it stopped producing power. About an hour later it reported "DC Power Too Low" in the event log and did not produce any power for the rest of the day. This was true even though yesterday was the only fully-sunny day we have had so far this month. Very strange behavior.

This inverter did wake up this morning and start producing the same power as its neighbors. If this unit is failed, that will be a rather disappointing development. If so, hopefully it is just a random failure quite early in life (this unit was installed almost exactly six months ago). Six months is about how long it was before my first M190 failure.

I'll update on this microinverter if there are any further malfunctions.
This inverter limped along over the past few days when it was cloudy, but today it was sunny and it only functioned properly for a short while. I called Enphase to report it and the support representative was quite surprised to see a failure of such a new inverter. He said he doesn't see many of these like he does with the M190s and M380s. That's good to hear and it agrees with what we are seeing (so far). Anyway, because of it's non-functional condition and the fact that they likely don't have many failed M215IGs, he authorized an RMA immediately without the 7-day watch period that they normally schedule for the M190s. I suppose it's time to climb up there and install one of my fourth-generation spares.

Interestingly, this puts the MTBF of the various units in my system at the following values:
M190s: 40 years (with 6 failures)
M215IGs: 41 years (with 1 failure)
M250s: >12 years (no failures)

If I lump all of my fourth-generation inverters together, then the MTBF for the M215IGs and M250s together is 53 years (1 failure).

It has become interesting calling Enphase: I tend to get questions about my "odd" system:
"How many Envoys do you have?"
"Did you know one of them is not communicating?"
"What are those four inverters on the display which haven't reported in a long while?"
"Did you realize you have a bunch of inverters which are not reporting?"

I guess there aren't many out there with spare Envoys and inverters kicking around... :)

It's nice having spares. I called Enphase at 3:30PM yesterday. They authorized the RMA. I was up on the roof with a spare by 5:00PM. The spare is installed and will wake up with the morning light today. The new unit will go into the box of spares when it arrives and the old one will get shipped back to Enphase.

Glad to hear it was easy this time, though too bad on the gen 4 numbers.

That said, with your new spare, do you ever consider testing/burning them in for a few months to make sure they won't suffer from early failure? Somewhat presumes the concern that they might not be around to service the warranty forever. Also I'm assuming as a replacement, your warranty continues from the date of the originally purchased inverter, not the replacement.

ltbighorn said:
Glad to hear it was easy this time, though too bad on the gen 4 numbers.
I'm hoping that number doesn't stick!
ltbighorn said:
That said, with your new spare, do you ever consider testing/burning them in for a few months to make sure they won't suffer from early failure?
Not really. Enphase does that when they manufacture them. That said, this failure DOES indicate that one slipped through undetected.
ltbighorn said:
Somewhat presumes the concern that they might not be around to service the warranty forever.
That is my presumption. But that brings up the real question: Is there something about the new metal cases that caused this failure? If there is, then I should be running the four M215IGs with cans that I bought AND the two 60V M190IGs that I received as spares in 2016. IF I have another failure of a fourth-generation inverter with a metal can, those things will definitely go right up onto the roof!
ltbighorn said:
Also I'm assuming as a replacement, your warranty continues from the date of the originally purchased inverter, not the replacement.
That's right. And for the unit just being replaced, it was manufactured toward the end of 2015. The replacement will be a little bit newer, but not that much, so it doesn't make much difference. However, with the M190 replacements, the story is very different. The M190s that I purchased new only have 9 years left on their warranties, but the replacements are built the same way as new inverters with 25-year warranties, so I'm basically hoping that the old M190s last as long as possible and that I can get more than two 15-year lifetimes out of the M190 plus its spare.

One final point is that the old M190s have electrolytic capacitors in them that fail FASTER if not energized than if they were used every day. OTOH, when they are used, they run hotter, which also tends to reduce their life. While I think they are good for a couple of decades of storage, if any of those old inverters stay in the boxes for more than about 5 years, I will likely swap them out into the field to get their capacitors annealed. In any case, it is probably better to be storing the inverters with no electrolytic capacitors since those should not have similar storage failure modes. My decision to put the M190s into storage had more to do with the fact that the replacements I was getting were not rated for the voltage of the PV modules in the field array. But that reasoning all changed with the shipment of 60V replacements which Enphase started in 2016. Still, if they go out of business, I'm back to where I was wanting spares for my field array.

It will be several more years before we know if this failure was an isolated incident or not. The M190s are the only inverters where I think we have a ballpark number on failure rates (and it seems to be different for different systems).

RegGuheert said:
It's nice having spares. I called Enphase at 3:30PM yesterday. They authorized the RMA. I was up on the roof with a spare by 5:00PM. The spare is installed and will wake up with the morning light today. The new unit will go into the box of spares when it arrives and the old one will get shipped back to Enphase.
Enphase shipped the replacement very early on Friday morning. FedEx says it will arrive on Thursday. That's nine calendar days from when I called to report the problem until the replacement unit arrives. Considering I'm on the opposite side of the country, I guess that's about as good a job as they can do. Kudos to Enphase support on this one!

Re: FedEx,

I have seen shipments take a lot of time when FedEx hands off to the USPS for the last leg to my home. I've learned to avoid that choice since the retail shipping cost is not much more.

RegGuheert said:
Wow! That's the first time I've seen the HD Wave efficiency curves.
Yeah, 99%+ efficiency is pretty amazing. I wonder if that includes the optimizer efficiency as well?

This type of inverter tech would be very useful in the opposite direction for battery storage, too.

SageBrush said:
Re: FedEx,

I have seen shipments take a lot of time when FedEx hands off to the USPS for the last leg to my home. I've learned to avoid that choice since the retail shipping cost is not much more.
Yeah, it looks like it may have been shipped using FedEx "SmartPost". FedEx always pads their estimate by a day to cover for the U.S. Postal Service. Since the package is now in the local area, I expect it will be delivered tomorrow instead of Thursday. We'll see.
drees said:
RegGuheert said:
Wow! That's the first time I've seen the HD Wave efficiency curves.
Yeah, 99%+ efficiency is pretty amazing. I wonder if that includes the optimizer efficiency as well?
No, I think that excludes the optimizers. But the datasheet I have for the optimizers shows a CEC-weighted efficiency of 98.8% and a peak efficiency of 99.5%! If you are operating at a point where the optimizers have an efficiency of 99.5% and the inverter is operating at 99.5%, then you still end up with 99.0% overall efficiency. That is better than the efficiency of the WIRES in most PV installations.
drees said:
This type of inverter tech would be very useful in the opposite direction for battery storage, too.
Agreed. But I don't think they offer a battery-capable version of the HD Wave inverters, yet.

Reg,
Do you know details about the 1500 watt supply from the PV when the grid-tie is down ?

I'm wondering what extra needs to be bought/installed to have the feature,
and whether the power can be sent into the home automagically.

Addendum:
One SE csr told me this feature is unheard of;
The second one said it has been delayed.

Back