Hello everyone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With no ICE to suffer from insufficiently heated lubricating oil or a gummed up transmission, a Leaf would suffer little to not at all from very low mileage. The brakes might be a little rusty, but if it's only surface rust it isn't a big issue - they all get that after a long rain anyway.

LeftieBiker said:
With no ICE to suffer from insufficiently heated lubricating oil or a gummed up transmission, a Leaf would suffer little to not at all from very low mileage. The brakes might be a little rusty, but if it's only surface rust it isn't a big issue - they all get that after a long rain anyway.

I was wondering if such little usage for a 2014 car might have an adverse effect on the battery pack!

Lancpudn said:
LeftieBiker said:

I was wondering if such little usage for a 2014 car might have had an adverse effect on the battery pack!

Lancpudn said:
LeftieBiker said:

I was wondering if such little usage for a 2014 car might have an adverse effect on the battery pack!

No, as long as the usual precautions were followed (no chronic undercharging or letting it sit for days or more at 100% charged), the pack would be in better, not worse, shape than average.

LeftieBiker said:
Lancpudn said:
LeftieBiker said:

No, as long as the usual precautions were followed (no chronic undercharging or letting it sit for days or more at 100% charged), the pack would be in better, not worse, shape than average.

Ah! Thanks for that information. :)

I know of a dealership that has a 2016 leaf SV with 17 miles on it. It appears to have never been fully charged, ever. I'd lease that if they'd just give me a price on it...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
It's highly recommended to get LeafSpy, especially when evaluating used cars.

Yes I think I should, mind you I need to drag my old behind into the 21st century & replace my old (not smart) mobile phone :roll: There's another thing I was meaning to ask, whats a GID! is there a reference table on this site you could point me to with the meanings! :)

I'd have to do more swatting up as to whats a good reading on Leafspy & what to avoid when I go to look at one.

You'll find all that on this forum. Try the search function. I'm fairly old and compuchallenged myself, but others here are pros at pointing to specific threads. Gary Gid is one of the founding fathers and credit for Gids goes to him. You have much to learn. Dive in.

A "GID" is a unit of power that some Nissan engineers programmed into the battery management system, as the smallest increment of measure of pack charge. It wasn't named that by them, and LeafSpy isn't a Nissan app. Gary Gid is the guy who discovered the units. IIRC, they are about 8 watt-hours each. Keep in mind that Nissan originally wanted Leaf drivers to know nothing about the state of the battery pack beyond what the wildly approximate "bar gauges" on the dashboard read.

Using LeafSpy, you can see how much you have left when you're below LBW and the GOM is dumbly flashing "---", also good for tire pressure and error codes. But when looking at a used car, you can also check pack Ahr and SOH and see how the cells look.

Just providing an alternate point of view... If you only drive 50-60 miles per week, a Leaf may not be the car for you. If you drive only 3K miles per year, you would be wasting the battery potential as it degrades over time. Your cost per mile would be astronomical. The replacement cost of the battery is very high.

My feeling on this issue is that a low mileage driver should definitely keep a good car and use it for those 3K miles per year. You would go for decades with only fixed cost of gasoline. I have 2000 Honda Odyssey I bought new and drive sparingly (with only 60K miles, never needed repairs) and plan to keep it till it is 30 years old or more..

Lancpudn said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Yes I think I should, mind you I need to drag my old behind into the 21st century & replace my old (not smart) mobile phone :roll: There's another thing I was meaning to ask, whats a GID! is there a reference table on this site you could point me to with the meanings! :)

I'd have to do more swatting up as to whats a good reading on Leafspy & what to avoid when I go to look at one.

Don't feel that you need to upgrade your cell phone (complete with an expensive data plan) in order to use Leaf Spy. You could easily pick up an old smartphone from ebay for relatively cheap. All you need is the bluetooth and/or wifi. You don't need it to connect to a 4G network.

powersurge said:
Just providing an alternate point of view... If you only drive 50-60 miles per week, a Leaf may not be the car for you. If you drive only 3K miles per year, you would be wasting the battery potential as it degrades over time. Your cost per mile would be astronomical. The replacement cost of the battery is very high.

My feeling on this issue is that a low mileage driver should definitely keep a good car and use it for those 3K miles per year. You would go for decades with only fixed cost of gasoline. I have 2000 Honda Odyssey I bought new and drive sparingly (with only 60K miles, never needed repairs) and plan to keep it till it is 30 years old or more..

I hear what you are saying, but that old Odyssey will undergo a lot more stress than an EV when used for frequent short trips. The engine may not get fully warmed up, particularly in winter. Doubtful that an ICE would last for "decades" under such stressful conditions. An EV wouldn't necessarily care about warming up. And if the OP only needs 50-60 miles per week, he/she could go a very long time before needing to replace the battery. Even a highly degraded battery can handle 10 miles per day.

Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciate them. :) I really want rid of an ICE vehicle to be honest, I have an old Rover 75 it's a really nice car but it's becoming a bind trying to get it through it's annual emissions test every year, It's getting time to upgrade to another car & I don't really want to spend my money on another ICE vehicle. they're extremely expensive to run over here petrol wise.

GetOffYourGas said:
Lancpudn said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Don't feel that you need to upgrade your cell phone (complete with an expensive data plan) in order to use Leaf Spy. You could easily pick up an old smartphone from ebay for relatively cheap. All you need is the bluetooth and/or wifi. You don't need it to connect to a 4G network.

That's true, but you may want the ability to use Nissan Connect. Debatable wether it's worth the added expense however.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Lancpudn said:

That's true, but you may want the ability to use Nissan Connect. Debatable wether it's worth the added expense however.

FWIW, Nissan Connect works over wifi, if available. Obviously not as ubiquitous as 4G, but still many businesses offer it.

I'm only mentioning this to ease any concerns Lancpudn may have about upgrading his/her cell phone plan. That can be an expensive proposition.

I can attest that when you retire your driving mileage really goes down. I leased my eGolf on September 20 and I now have just over 1700 miles. Knocking off a 40 mile round trip commute really helps.

You can say that the battery will degrade faster than my use but I really do not care. This is my forth BEV and I will never go back to gas!.

Realistically A Mazda 3 would fill my needs but it is an ICE vehicle. When the lease expires in three years I might try UBER for my needs. At that time I will be 72 and I do not want to make headlines like that guy in Santa Monica.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, a $30 Kyocera Event with no service plan is all he needs.

Well I got a little surprise off my younger brother today who said he has an older smart phone & charger lying in a drawer at home I can have. :D It's a Samsung Galaxy Fame model that has blue tooth etc & pretty much everything I'd need. :)

I got a no contract PAYG (pay as you go) SIM card & put 10 Quid on it & it works a treat. I'll see about downloading leafspy & ordering one of those OBD dongles now. :)

I really appreciate all the advice I've had off you guys. Thank you :)

Back