Battery Capacity Gauge Show 8 Bars - Nissan Says Battery is Good

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttweten

I am in a weird situation and need some help or a good answer fairly quickly.

I recently purchased a 2011 Nissan Leaf from Carvana. I am still in my 7 day test period, but noticed that the battery capacity is at 8 bars when I picked it up. I told them that I would take it to Nissan, because I read that Nissan will repair or replace Leaf batteries once the capacity reaches 8 bars. I probably should have rejected the car, but I thought I would have no problem with Nissan honoring their warranty.

I took the Leaf to the dealership this morning. Explained the issue with the battery capacity. They ran a test, and said that battery passed on all tests. I asked them if it was normal to have an actual driving range of around than 35 miles, and they avoided the question. I feel like I was given the run around as they give me a sheet that listed my capacity at 82 with 8 bars.

The warranty on the battery runs out in another 7 months. I am not sure if I should push through with Nissan or just return to Carvana without penalty. I cannot make it to and from work without stopping at the Nissan corporate headquarters in Franklin, TN to grab a quick recharge. Being a newbie, I don't know how to get the correct readings to tell them honor your warranty.

Should I return or pursue the warranty? How do I get the readings to proof my battery should be replaced?

That "test" they ran at the dealership was probably the annual battery check. It gives very little if any useful info. You need to deal with a Nissan Tech who is experienced with battery warranty issues. Contact Nissan directly.

You need to find a more diligent dealer. Clearly that one is rubbish!

You don't mention mileage. I take it you're still under 60k? If so, and the car isn't otherwise excluded (search B0133), it should still be under warranty.

Mileage is 40,690.

Sad thing is that dealership is less than a mile from Nissan's US corporate headquarters (Nissan of Cool Springs).

Is the correct number to call 877-664-2738 for Nissan EV Customer Support? Or is there a different technical support number?

ttweten said:
Mileage is 40,690.

Sad thing is that dealership is less than a mile from Nissan's US corporate headquarters (Nissan of Cool Springs).

Is the correct number to call 877-664-2738 for Nissan EV Customer Support? Or is there a different technical support number?

That looks like the right number, It's the NOGAS-EV line.

It be nice if before you have the battery replaced you got a leafspy screenshot or two but if you don't have the OBDII adapter you'll just have to go by the dash.

btw what is the mfg date from the driver door jamb label?

Congratulations! You will get a new Battery based on what Nissan has been doing! Tell them that you qualify for the warranty because you qualify for the (capacity warranty) at 8 capacity bars showing on the instrumentation on the dash. The service tech that you worked with does not know what they are doing. It is normally very easy without having to call customer service. Hope you got a good deal! The car can be like new once the battery is changed out.

I called the Nissan NoGasEV line, and they confirmed that I was eligible. They started a case for me, and told me that they would communicate with the dealership that they should have replaced the battery no questions asked.

I have left a message with the service manager at the dealership and am hoping to have the battery replaced this week. I got a great deal from Carvana. I paid what I would have paid from a private party according to KBB for a S trim, but I have the SL, plus I have a 100 day warranty. Only thing I wish I had was seat warmers.

Thanks everyone for the help.

ttweten said:
Only thing I wish I had was seat warmers.

Thanks everyone for the help.

DIY seat heat kit is not that big a deal if you gotz some skillz:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6810

https://plus.google.com/photos/101202810889400918972/albums/5674942388911678273

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Seat_Heaters

This is the kit I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915095174?item=180915095174

Your new pack will need to be ordered and it could take up to 6 weeks to come in (likely you'll get yours quicker than most, since you're already in TN).

ttweten said:
Mileage is 40,690.

Where are you located? You must be close by me, I will be glad to come and fire up LeafSpy if you need more technical info. :D

Thanks for the offer on the LeafSpy. I actually purchased an adapter from Amazon for fairly cheap.

I am using the lite version, but here are my stats:

AHr = 40.19
SOH = 61% 365V
Hx = 54.6%
111 QCs
1943 L1/L2s

Not sure what all of this means, but I am guessing 61% and 54.6% are a bad thing.

I can't thank you all enough for posting this thread. I bought a 2011 Leaf yesterday. This morning figured out how to read that panel, I have 8 bars left. I called Nissan at that 877 number and believe it or not, the capacity warranty is valid until 7-14-2017! Thank you!

ttweten said:
Thanks for the offer on the LeafSpy. I actually purchased an adapter from Amazon for fairly cheap.

I am using the lite version, but here are my stats:

AHr = 40.19
SOH = 61% 365V
Hx = 54.6%
111 QCs
1943 L1/L2s
I bolded the number that shows remaining battery capacity. New is ~ 65 Ah,
so you are at 40.2/65 = 62%.

Replacements during the 5yr/60k warranty start at ~ 65%

Bambam said:
I can't thank you all enough for posting this thread. I bought a 2011 Leaf yesterday. This morning figured out how to read that panel, I have 8 bars left. I called Nissan at that 877 number and believe it or not, the capacity warranty is valid until 7-14-2017! Thank you!

I tell people at work all the time that if I cannot be smart, I want to be lucky.

Back