Hello everyone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a no contract PAYG (pay as you go) SIM card & put 10 Quid on it & it works a treat. I'll see about downloading leafspy & ordering one of those OBD dongles now. :)

You don't even need cell service if you have home WiFi. Also, finding the right OBII port reader is trickier than you'd expect. Can someone post a link to one of the few that works?

LeftieBiker said:
I got a no contract PAYG (pay as you go) SIM card & put 10 Quid on it & it works a treat. I'll see about downloading leafspy & ordering one of those OBD dongles now. :)

You don't even need cell service if you have home WiFi. Also, finding the right OBII port reader is trickier than you'd expect. Can someone post a link to one of the few that works?
This is the one I got, nothing special and quite cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note I didn't realize it was tricky to find a decent one, I just liked this one because it was cheap and didn't stick very far down, it's pretty short. Works like a charm :)
Note if I were doing it again I might look for one with a power switch although for even weekly driving you probably wouldn't have to unplug one like mine, I would though if I were parking the Leaf for several weeks as I wouldn't want to run my 12v battery down.

Thanks, Jjeff. The OP might, if he plans to use the port reader regularly in the car he buys for determining range, also want to get an extension cable with a right angle connector for the port.

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:

This is the one I got, nothing special and quite cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note I didn't realize it was tricky to find a decent one, I just liked this one because it was cheap and didn't stick very far down, it's pretty short. Works like a charm :)
Note if I were doing it again I might look for one with a power switch although for even weekly driving you probably wouldn't have to unplug one like mine, I would though if I were parking the Leaf for several weeks as I wouldn't want to run my 12v battery down.

Thanks for the OBD link :D that will be next on the shopping list.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks, Jjeff. The OP might, if he plans to use the port reader regularly in the car he buys for determining range, also want to get an extension cable with a right angle connector for the port.
OP, they do sell things called right angle adapters which have a thin male end with a length of flat cable and a female socket you plug your OBDII device into. It's not only slightly thinner than the OBDII device itself but it also probably easier to unplug/replug the adapter if you want to. It also saves wear and tear on the actual vehicle socket which like anything else has a limited life cycle. I don't personally use one as I generally leave mine in but for a few weeks out of the year and my adapter is quite thin so it doesn't bother me, nothing wrong with one though and I can see how they might make sense.

Sort of an update, I'm still Leafless & the wait is killing me. Arrrgghhh :( The EV fund has taken two big hits recently which was a bummer to say the least :cry: . on the good news there are more & more used leafs coming on the market over here & the price of them are getting lower all the time. :)

I intend on buying one outright as I don't want to get on the monthly payments treadmill at all.

I'm in two minds about waiting a little longer until the Gen 2 Leaf comes out as I should imagine there will be even more of a choice to choose from or buying one now! I could stretch to getting one now but it would leave me short if anything else cropped up.

The trouble is most of the used Leafs are ex lease basic equipped Visia models or the car has a 'Flex' battery lease on them, again another monthly payment between £75/£105 depending on mileage which I do not want, or the model I would really the Acenta or Tekna is at the other end of the country.....patience grasshopper. :mrgreen:

I still pour over this site often to learn all I can about them for when the time comes to buy one, once again thank you to all the Gurus on this site for their experience. :D

Hello everyone, Another noob question. :D

I've been looking at a few Leafs in our Gumtree publication over here in the UK, the descriptions on some are very scant indeed in particular a 2013 Acenta model, The picture of inside the boot/trunk has the " Hump across the floor" (for want of a better word) would I be right in thinking that was a pre facelift model made before 4/30 2013!

Thanks in advance.
Ian.

Back