Why is the LEAF pulling away from the Volt?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
ydnas7 said:
GRA said:
September's U.S. sales total for sub-$40k MSRP PEVs:

BEV, 2,960, 37.4% (8 types: LEAF; 500e; e-Golf; Spark EV; Soul EV; Focus Electric; Smart ED; iMiEV).
PHEV, 4,948, 62.6% (6 types: Volt; Fusion Energi; C-Max Energi; A3 e-Tron; Sonata PHEV; PiP)
Total 7,908

Slight change in favor of the BEV for the monthly share. The e-Golf continues to come on strong with 529 sales. The Fusion Energi continues to outsell the LEAF, and is now about 2,400 ahead for the year. The A3 e-Tron continues to sell between 300-361 cars a month, as it has done 8 out of nine months this year (Feb. 243).

seriously, you exclude tesla?
or even Bolt? :lol: or used Tesla?
See "sub-$40k MSRP PEVs". Tesla continues to carry BEVs on its back, but until the Model 3 arrives they won't be 'affordable'.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

just can't ignore used Teslas, if you are talking about EV/PHEV market share ratio.

ydnas7 said:
GRA said:
ydnas7 said:
seriously, you exclude tesla?
or even Bolt? :lol: or used Tesla?
See "sub-$40k MSRP PEVs". Tesla continues to carry BEVs on its back, but until the Model 3 arrives they won't be 'affordable'.

just can't ignore used Teslas, if you are talking about EV/PHEV market share ratio.
Lacking data on all used PEVs, sure I can. If you have info for all used PEVs, feel free to provide it. Besides, the whole point here is to monitor the sales rates of new PEVs, not how often existing ones change hands.

In China BEVs now command 70% of the plug-in market:
EV Sales Blog said:
Finally, looking at the breakdown between BEV’s and PHEV’s, unlike other markets where plug-in hybrids are winning the upper hand, all-electric cars just continue improving its share, now at 70%, up 1% regarding last month.
In fact, more BEVs sell in China each month than BEVs and PHEVs combined in the US.

RegGuheert said:
In China BEVs now command 70% of the plug-in market:
EV Sales Blog said:
Finally, looking at the breakdown between BEV’s and PHEV’s, unlike other markets where plug-in hybrids are winning the upper hand, all-electric cars just continue improving its share, now at 70%, up 1% regarding last month.
In fact, more BEVs sell in China each month than BEVs and PHEVs combined in the US.
Interesting. Any idea what kind of incentives/restrictions apply to each, i.e. is the share split driven by the customer or the government? There's nothing in the article, and I don't remember the details from others I've read.

GRA said:
ydnas7 said:
GRA said:

Lacking data on all used PEVs, sure I can. If you have info for all used PEVs, feel free to provide it. Besides, the whole point here is to monitor the sales rates of new PEVs, not how often existing ones change hands.

If the the whole point here is to monitor the sales rates of new PEVs, then uses either Units sales or Dollar sales, (or even kWh sales)
Excluding Tesla is basically stupid or deceptive when it comes to USA EV sales.

ydnas7 said:
GRA said:
ydnas7 said:

If the the whole point here is to monitor the sales rates of new PEVs, then uses either Units sales or Dollar sales, (or even kWh sales)
Excluding Tesla is basically stupid or deceptive when it comes to USA EV sales.
Not when we're concerned with 'affordable' PEVs. I used to include a small blurb listing sales of all PEVs (go back a page or two to find one), but got tired of typing "Tesla continues to carry BEVs on its back" or a variation of such every month, and the Model S/X aren't in the 'affordable' category in any case, so will never be mass market products. For the same reason, I don't include sales of Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Volvo or Cadillac PHEVs that are above the $40k base MSRP cut-off. Not that $40k is particularly affordable, but setting the bar much lower would eliminate most of the PEVs on the market, especially the upcoming 2nd Gen. BEVs.

Otherwise, I'd set it at $30k or less, which would pretty much restrict things to the Prius Prime, Spark EV, iMiEV, smart ED etc., and except for the first we already know that the group has a very restricted market.

October's U.S. sales total for sub-$40k MSRP PEVs:

BEV, 2,734, 36.6% (8 types: LEAF; 500e; e-Golf; Spark EV; Soul EV; Focus Electric; Smart ED; iMiev).
PHEV, 4,737, 63.4% (5 types: Volt; Fusion Energi; C-Max Energi; A3 e-Tron; Sonata PHEV)
Total 7,471

The PiP's dropped off the list with zero sales, and the ELR (3) and i-MiEV (4) are close to doing so. For the first time since July, the Model S hasn't led the list of sales, with the Volt (2,191) being #1 for the month. In fact, the LEAF was the best selling BEV (1,412) for the first time this year, coming in at #2, and not far short of the combined sales of the Model S/X (925 + 725 = 1,650). It also exceeded sales of the Fusion Energi (1,372) for the first time since March.

RegGuheert said:
Meanwhile, worldwide the LEAF outsells the Volt YTD in 2016 by slightly more than 2:1.

Again, that site makes me wonder why the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is not available in the U.S.
Yeah, here's an IEVS article quoting ev-salesblog on Swedish sales:
Plug-In Hybrids Pushes EV Market Share In Sweden Above 3%
http://insideevs.com/plug-in-hybrids-pushes-ev-market-share-in-sweden-above-3/

Sweden is one of the largest plug-in electric car markets by market share. In recent months, thanks to strong demand for plug-in hybrids, sales have exceeded 3%, and in October reached 3.4%. . . .

As one would expect from the rather colder climate of Sweden, plug-in hybrids are at the forefront of sales…at least until more affordable long range electric vehicle solutions are available. . . .

1. Volkswagen Passat GTE – 3,359
2. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV – 1,276
3. Volvo V60 PHEV – 981
4. Volvo XC90 T8 – 764
5. Nissan LEAF – 702
6. Tesla Model S – 655
Model X comes in at #12. The bolded section raises the question, why is Norway different from Sweden, with BEVs taking a bigger share? It used to be that BEVs got much bigger subsidies there than PHEVs did, but I believe that's changed.

October UK sales numbers, PHEVs are just stomping BEVs, 1,854 (82.5%) to 394 (17.5%): http://insideevs.com/british-plug-in-market-increased-by-19-in-october-more-sales-help-coming-soon/

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
Meanwhile, worldwide the LEAF outsells the Volt YTD in 2016 by slightly more than 2:1.

Again, that site makes me wonder why the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is not available in the U.S.
Yeah, here's an IEVS article quoting ev-salesblog on Swedish sales:
Plug-In Hybrids Pushes EV Market Share In Sweden Above 3%
http://insideevs.com/plug-in-hybrids-pushes-ev-market-share-in-sweden-above-3/

Sweden is one of the largest plug-in electric car markets by market share. In recent months, thanks to strong demand for plug-in hybrids, sales have exceeded 3%, and in October reached 3.4%. . . .

As one would expect from the rather colder climate of Sweden, plug-in hybrids are at the forefront of sales…at least until more affordable long range electric vehicle solutions are available. . . .

1. Volkswagen Passat GTE – 3,359
2. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV – 1,276
3. Volvo V60 PHEV – 981
4. Volvo XC90 T8 – 764
5. Nissan LEAF – 702
6. Tesla Model S – 655
Model X comes in at #12. The bolded section raises the question, why is Norway different from Sweden, with BEVs taking a bigger share? It used to be that BEVs got much bigger subsidies there than PHEVs did, but I believe that's changed.

don't underestimate the impact of front row seats to the Climate Change show...

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
don't underestimate the impact of front row seats to the Climate Change show...
Sweden doesn't have a front row seat? Admittedly, they don't have all the oil and gas extraction etc. which makes up so large a part of the Norwegian economy and helps to pay for EV subsidies, but I'd think that climate change affects them as much as any other arctic nation.

GRA said:
...but I'd think that climate change affects them as much as any other arctic nation.
Which would be...not at all.

Let's get back on topic. Climate change is not likely the deciding factor between whether someone purchases a BEV or a PHEV.

If I wanted to stop using gasoline, then I'd get a BEV with a heatpump. If I wanted great fuel economy and a heater I could use whenever I wanted, I'd get a PHEV. Thus climate change and its effects on human behavior matter.

December's U.S. sales total for sub-$40k MSRP PEVs (1st month for the Bolt, 2nd for the Prius Prime):

BEV, 3,929, 31.3% (9 types: LEAF; 500e; e-Golf; Spark EV; Soul EV; Focus Electric; Smart ED; iMiev, Bolt).
PHEV, 8,634, 68.7% (6 types: Volt; Fusion Energi; C-Max Energi; A3 E-tron; Sonata PHEV; Prius Prime)
Total 12,563

I think for the first time ever, the C-Max Energi outsold the Fusion Energi, 1,289 to 1,099, no doubt helped by the new lower price to compete with the Prius Prime (1,641). The Bolt managed 579 sales in just over 1/2 month.

evnow said:
Why the arbitrary $40k cutoff? A lot Bolts, BTW, are above $40k.

must be after credits which means by rights, it should be purchase only since the real price of the Bolt is generally over $40K on current lease terms

evnow said:
Why the arbitrary $40k cutoff? A lot Bolts, BTW, are above $40k.
As has been mentioned before, I use sub-$40k base MSRP as the point at which a car can be considered (marginally) affordable, given the $34k average price of all new LDVs (which includes more expensive pickups and big SUVs). Realistically it should be $30k base MSRP, but until very recently that would have eliminated all but a very few PEVs. Even now after price drops, the only ones I think qualify for that would be the Prime, C-Max Energi, Smart ED, FFE, the discontinued Spark EV and the moribund iMiEV; any others?

January's U.S. sales total for sub-$40k MSRP PEVs (1st full month for the Bolt, 2nd full month for the Prius Prime):

BEV, 2,803, 37.5% (8 types: LEAF; 500e; e-Golf; Spark EV; Soul EV; Focus Electric; Smart ED; Bolt).
PHEV, 4,673, 62.5% (7 types: Volt; Fusion Energi; C-Max Energi; A3 E-tron; Sonata PHEV; Prius Prime; Optima PHV)
Total 7,476.

The Bolt gave 'affordable' PEVs a 6.2% bump and 'affordable' PHEVs dropped by the same %, but the Volt (1,611) and Prime (1,366) ranked #1 & 2 in sales. with the Bolt #3 (1,162). Will the Bolt overtake either/both as sales expand to more states? The iMiEV had 0 sales for January so dropped off the list, and the Spark EV was down to 4. Ford's Energi PHEVs were well down for the month, although as they're relatively old I expect they suffered more from the usual January slump than did the newer offerings.

February's U.S. sales total for sub-$40k MSRP PEVs:

BEV, 2,929, 35.5% (9 types: LEAF; 500e; e-Golf; Spark EV; Soul EV; Focus Electric; Smart ED; Bolt; iMiEV).
PHEV, 5,318, 64.5% (7 types: Volt; Fusion Energi; C-Max Energi; A3 E-tron; Sonata PHEV; Prius Prime; Optima PHV)
Total 8,247.

BEVs dropped a couple of % compared to last month, as the Bolt's sales slumped. The LEAF outsold it by 1,037 to 952. Volt and Prius Prime ranked #1 and #2 among 'affordable' PEVs.

Back