Chademo vs SAE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even with CHAdeMO equipped BEV sales slipping, they still outsold SAE DC BEVs more than two-to-one worldwide last year.

More a comment on how weak the SAE manufactures BEV efforts have been, IMO, than on CHAdeMO's (Mostly Nissan's) success.

Wonder if Chademo can hold the sales lead for yet another year in 2017, if LEAF gen 2 does not come out fairly soon?

Number of EV's sold by type of Fast Charging protocol

As can see, Chademo still has the lead, but for the first time numbers have gone down, mostly due to Mitsubishi sales dive, while CCS this year is had a bitter-sweet year, as on the one hand the BMW i3 numbers grew and the Hyundai Ioniq Electric helped to boost sales, but on the other hand, the VW e-Golf numbers went down, counterbalancing the other two good news. Also not helping, most brands behind it are focused on plug-in hybrids, that don't include fast-charging.

2017 and 2018 will be all important years in the race between Chademo and CCS, as the Nissan Leaf will defend Chademo's lead over the CCS-compatible Chevrolet Bolt and the new wave of European and South-Korean BEV's...
http://ev-sales.blogspot.ch/2017/02/fast-charging-ev-stock-2016.html

edatoakrun said:
Even with CHAdeMO equipped BEV sales slipping, they still outsold SAE DC BEVs more than two-to-one worldwide last year.

More a comment on how weak the SAE manufactures BEV efforts have been, IMO, than on CHAdeMO's (Mostly Nissan's) success.

Wonder if Chademo can hold the sales lead for yet another year in 2017, if LEAF gen 2 does not come out fairly soon? <snip>
Here in the U.S. CCS is clearly pulling away, although currently that's due to the Bolt effect:

• January CCS-capable cars
    Bolt 1,162
    i3 382
    eGolf 332
    FFE 56
    Spark 4
    Total 1,936

January CHAdeMo-possible cars
    LEAF 772
    Soul 117
    Total 889
I don't remember if any of the PHEVs are equipped with QCs in the U.S., so may have missed some. As the German BEVs start to arrive the playing field will tilt even more in favor of CCS. Barring a major range increase, Soul EV sales seem to be stuck, so I don't expect any help for CHAdeMO there, and the iMiEV is obviously dead in the U.S. The Spark is also just about gone, but the B250e should be getting its CCS soon, which might help its anemic sales.

GRA said:
I don't remember if any of the PHEVs are equipped with QCs in the U.S.,
The Spark is also just about gone, but the B250e should be getting its CCS soon, which might help its anemic sales.
On the first point, I know of 0. Some of those PHEVs ship w/DC FCing outside the US (e.g. Prius Prime in Japan can have (comes with?) CHAdeMO).

As for Spark EV, per http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2017/01/31/chevy-axes-spark-ev-favor-bolt-ev/97283876/ and others, production ended in summer 2016.

cwerdna said:
GRA said:
I don't remember if any of the PHEVs are equipped with QCs in the U.S.,
The Spark is also just about gone, but the B250e should be getting its CCS soon, which might help its anemic sales.
On the first point, I know of 0. Some of those PHEVs ship w/DC FCing outside the US (e.g. Prius Prime in Japan can have (comes with?) CHAdeMO).

As for Spark EV, per http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2017/01/31/chevy-axes-spark-ev-favor-bolt-ev/97283876/ and others, production ended in summer 2016.
Yes, they're just selling off the remaining inventory (all of 4 last month).

Back