Higher PSI for Better Range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pbridges said:
I have noticed that Leafspro shows tire PSI and it was showing tire temperature on 3 of the 4, LR showing N/A.
Leaf Spy can alternate the display of tire pressure, and main battery temperature sensors.
When showing the battery temperature , that particular display has two modes of operation,
one of the modes will display the individual battery sensors, the 2011-2012 model battery's
had 4 temperature sensors, any other model shows N/A for the non-existent 4th sensor.

FWIW, back in the day a lot of Insight drivers swore by overinflating their tires, and there were never any reports of anyone having problems. I wouldn't run with less than the max pressure. Even +5 over rated max is probably pretty safe, although I wouldn't go beyond that. If I recall correctly some Insighters were driving at least +10 over rated pressure. I was never willing to go that far.

Nagorak said:
FWIW, back in the day a lot of Insight drivers swore by overinflating their tires, and there were never any reports of anyone having problems. I wouldn't run with less than the max pressure. Even +5 over rated max is probably pretty safe, although I wouldn't go beyond that. If I recall correctly some Insighters were driving at least +10 over rated pressure. I was never willing to go that far.

OTOH there were probably few to no Insight drivers running Chinese brand tires.

LeftieBiker said:
Nagorak said:

OTOH there were probably few to no Insight drivers running Chinese brand tires.

Probably not as few tires even fit the Insight. It's actually kind of a weird experience not having a single car with micro tires in the driveway after having both the Insight and Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro) in the driveway for so many years. :lol:

It also should be stated that driving an Insight probably meant you were at least a little bit crazy. ;)

Nagorak said:
It also should be stated that driving an Insight probably meant you were at least a little bit crazy. ;)

Yep, I'm crazy. I had a 2000 Honda Insight Manual gearbox version and would push to get 70+MPG. I sold it years later and then got another one but this time it was a 2002 automatic.. I was never able to get the same gas mileage out of it but again, i was crazy while trying. I much prefer the Nissan Leaf.

DuncanCunningham said:
Nagorak said:

Yep, I'm crazy. I had a 2000 Honda Insight Manual gearbox version and would push to get 70+MPG. I sold it years later and then got another one but this time it was a 2002 automatic.. I was never able to get the same gas mileage out of it but again, i was crazy while trying. I much prefer the Nissan Leaf.

U and me both! I had a 2000 INsight manual and currently have a 2002 Insight Automatic trans. We must have been separated at birth!

Regarding Leaf tire pressure, there is a point at which the LEAF keeps disabling regen due to vibration. There is a sweet spot around the low 40's. Altho if your roads are less bumpy, or most of your commute is hwy, then go ahead and pump them up higher up to 48 psi or so.

Back