Post Your Order Details Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lease was up on my 2013 Leaf SL in September, in which I elected to extend for 6 months. I originally was planning on going with the Bolt, but didn't think it would be ready in the Great Lakes region by March 2017 when I was required to turn in the car and was still a bit uncomfortable ordering a car that I had not test driven. I know reviews have been very good overall, but there have been notes that the Bolt is lacking a bit in interior quality and comfort - two aspects I have been very pleased with in the Leaf.

Anyway, I decided to get the 2016 Leaf SL. Yes, the range is not where I would like it to be, but the Nissan NCTC program actually mitigates this pretty well for me, as a lot of the miles I put on are between Milwaukee and Madison and both are part of the program. Here is how the deal panned out:

2016 Nissan Leaf SL with Premium Package
MSRP $38755
36 month lease
15,000 miles
Down payment of $2500
Monthly payment of $299.05 (includes taxes and fees)
Residual of $12,400 (not sure on this one)

In the end, I was pretty happy with the deal. It was only $9 per month higher than what I had with the 2013 SL, but now have the increased range, NCTC, and I know the reduced residual makes it harder to keep the payments static from 2013. Dealer (Gordie Boucher in Greenfield, WI) claims he lost $2300 on the deal, but who knows.

Heading back Monday to pick up our first leaf!
Details:
2017 sv- gun metallic-black interior
List price- $35455
Dealer rebates- $5500
Other Rebates: city of Boulder, and the biggest game changer is as of 1/1/17 the new Colorado law that lets the dealer have the $2500 directly from the state EV rebate. This takes the $2500 directly off the top of the lease.
These all together = 12,700
Cap cost=17,255
24 month lease
With 0 down and taxes rolled into the monthly payment will be $250.

I emailed and went to 4 different dealers . Boulder Nissan was in a different level all together. They are knowledgeable and many of them drive Leafs.
All the other Denver area dealers basically had no clue how the rebate was changing 1/1/17 and were arguing with me. I even tried to get a deal on a couple left over 16's to buy outright if they could work a smoking deal. None seemed to want to get rid of them. If your in the market I recommend Boulder Nissan for a lease.
Anyhow really looking forward to picking up our first EV tomorrow!

powersurge said:
So if you bought the car after the lease, your total cost (without taxes) would be 20,600 for a 33,000 car. I never leased, so I don't know if there are more charges.

That is very similar to what I got for my 24kwh S. The benefit I got is that I got a monthly payment of $300 for 6 years (72 months) at 0% financing. If you lease, you would have to cough up 9100 dollars at the end of your lease in cash...

I personally like the idea of buying because no one can take the car out of my hands... Remember the EV!??

Hi powersurge,

Sorry for not replying sooner (too busy enjoying the holidays with my leaf! - story for another time).

Anyway, your $20,600 buyout number is missing some details. There's also a $2500 state rebate that I had to apply for on my own, and $395 lease termination fee, and 9.5% sales tax ($864.50) on the residual value. So if there weren't any further incentives, my out of pocket to buyout the leaf would be: $21,860 - 2500 == $19,360 (inclusive of all taxes and fees)

Now the icing on the cake will come in spring of 2019. If used values of the old leaf dropped as quickly as the 2013's did, then I expect to receive a buyout offer from NMAC (just like I did for my 2013 leaf). But unlike last year, I won't be hemming and hawing to take the offer!! I'm hoping for ~$5000 off to bring it inline with last year's offer. So all in all, it's better to lease a leaf and buy it out, than to purchase it outright. One of the few cases where leasing is better.

Cheers!

Color/trim: 2017 Black SV
Accessories: cargo cover

Total MSRP+destination charge: $35700
Total quote/price accepted: $24000/ this includes tax and fees
Total discount (or markup): $13000 - including $10000 Nissan rebate
Purchase or lease?: purchase

Actual order date: bought off the lot Jan 19, 2017

Dealer: Zimbrick Nissan, Madison, WI

Plans for home charging: Class 2 charger/$500 rebate from Alliant Energy (utility company)

Expect to receive $7500 tax credit from federal government when I get my 2017 tax return.

kansas said:
Color/trim: 2017 Black SV
Accessories: cargo cover

Total MSRP+destination charge: $35700
Total quote/price accepted: $24000/ this includes tax and fees
Total discount (or markup): $13000 - including $10000 Nissan rebate
Purchase or lease?: purchase

Actual order date: bought off the lot Jan 19, 2017

Dealer: Zimbrick Nissan, Madison, WI

Plans for home charging: Class 2 charger/$500 rebate from Alliant Energy (utility company)

Expect to receive $7500 tax credit from federal government when I get my 2017 tax return.
Sounds like a decent deal for a 30Kwh SV Leaf :) or $16.5k if you get the full $7500. Note to get the max credit you have to have at least a $7500 tax liability(or what you owe) so because of this I only got ~$6k, which still isn't bad. I figured if I had got the full credit my '13S would have cost ~$20k and I only have the S with the 24Kwh battery. Sure you could have saved even more looking for a used Leaf but there is some satisfaction in purchasing a new vehicle, for sure you know how its been driven :)

Color/trim: 2016 Gun Metallic/Black Interior SV
Accessories: Premium Pacakge (Bose & 360 camera), splash guards, floor mats and holographic kickplates

Total MSRP+destination charge: $37,120
Total quote/price accepted: $32,023 (not including tax & tag) - mo payment = $285 w/ $2,285 down
Total discount (or markup): $12,427
Purchase or lease?: lease (36 mo/15k miles)
Residual value: $10,765

Actual order date: bought off the lot Jan 27, 2017

Dealer: McNeil Nissan - North Wilksboro, NC

Plans for home charging: L1 that came with vehicle right now - waiting for ClipperCreek (HCS-40P) L2 charger purchased off Amazon - $589

Expect to receive $7500 tax credit from federal government when I get my 2017 tax return. Had to change my W2 allowances but have the rest of 2017 to owe at least $7,500 and hopefully not a penny more! :)

PS - NC peeps looking to purchase - there is a $10K incentive from 'Plug-In NC' right now till end of March or fund run out. That residual value was just too much of a gamble for me - that and I'm sure the tech will be dramatically different in 3 years!

2/8/2017 Edit - Added Residual value. Carved a slice of humble pie for not knowing tax credit stayed with leasing company. Made appointment on calendar to notify payroll to reverse that W2 allowance change. Poured 16oz IPA from Triple C Brewing Co and patted self on back for best I could do with what I had to work with. Yea me. :?
2/8/2017 Edit - Modified Edit date above to reflect current year. Took note of ABV on Triple C.

phish4me said:
Accessories: Premium Pacakge (Bose & 360 camera), splash guards, floor mats and holographic kickplates

Total quote/price accepted: $32,023 (not including tax & tag) - mo payment = $285 w/ $2,285 down

Plans for home charging: L1 that came with vehicle right now - waiting for ClipperCreek (HCS-40P) L2 charger purchased off Amazon - $589

Expect to receive $7500 tax credit from federal government when I get my 2017 tax return. Had to change my W2 allowances but have the rest of 2017 to owe at least $7,500 and hopefully not a penny more! :)

PS - NC peeps looking to purchase - there is a $10K incentive from 'Plug-In NC' right now till end of March or fund run out. That residual value was just too much of a gamble for me - that and I'm sure the tech will be dramatically different in 3 years!

As garba said, the tax credit goes to you only if you _purchase_ it. If you lease the vehicle, the tax credit goes to the leasing company, and your purchase price (or capital cost) was supposed to be discounted by that $7500.

Since your per month payment of $285 seems about right for 15k miles/year, I'm guessing your accepted price number is off. What was the residual (end of lease purchase price)?

Here is my lease deal on 1/31/17 in the San Diego area:
2017 Leaf S30 + Quick Charge + floor mats + splash guards, Gun Metallic
MSRP: $33,705
Agreed upon value: $28,075 ($5630 off MSRP)
Cap cost reduction: $12,915.86
Cap cost, adjusted: $15,754.14
Residual: $9100.35
Rebates: $14,500 (includes $2500 from CA)
Total drive off: $2500 (effect $0 from CA rebate)
Monthly payment base: $184.83
Total monthly payment (tax, title, license): $199.96

12,000 miles, 36 months

I previously had and SV but thought I'd rather have an extra ~$50/mo and drop down to the S.

Finally pulled the trigger on a Leaf in Austin, TX this weekend.

2016 Black Leaf S30 + Premium Package + floor mats + splash guards
MSRP: $39,580
Agreed upon value: $35,000
Cap cost reduction: $12,443
Cap cost, adjusted: $25,081
Residual: $12,269
Rebates: $10,450
Down payment: $2,500
Total monthly payment (w/ TT&L): $356

One day in and I'm loving my Leaf! I have a feeling that I could have done even better on the price, but the effort it took to get to this point was beyond ridiculous. All the dealerships in my area kept quoting leases around $590 with $2,500 down.

In any case, goodbye VW diesel, hello electric Nissan!

slowryd76 said:

One day in and I'm loving my Leaf! <snip>

Hey, slowryd, be sure to get sign up for the Austin Energy Plug-in EVerywhere program: $25 for 6 months of free charges at about 99% of the public charging stations in Austin. TOTALLY worth it, even if you plan to do mostly trickle charging. Check out the super-fast DC quick charger at the Seaholm plant downtown (2nd Street just east of Lamar: enter via Cesar Chavez at Walter Seaholm (just past Sandra Muriada, which is just past Lamar)... nothing like going from 30% to 80% in 10 minutes!

annabel398 said:
Hey, slowryd, be sure to get sign up for the Austin Energy Plug-in EVerywhere program: $25 for 6 months of free charges at about 99% of the public charging stations in Austin. TOTALLY worth it, even if you plan to do mostly trickle charging. Check out the super-fast DC quick charger at the Seaholm plant downtown (2nd Street just east of Lamar: enter via Cesar Chavez at Walter Seaholm (just past Sandra Muriada, which is just past Lamar)... nothing like going from 30% to 80% in 10 minutes!

Good to know, annabel398. Just sent you a PM with other Austin EV questions!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
phish4me said:

As garba said, the tax credit goes to you only if you _purchase_ it. If you lease the vehicle, the tax credit goes to the leasing company, and your purchase price (or capital cost) was supposed to be discounted by that $7500.

Since your per month payment of $285 seems about right for 15k miles/year, I'm guessing your accepted price number is off. What was the residual (end of lease purchase price)?

Residual is $10,765. What do you mean, "I'm guessing your accepted price number is off"? Thanks for the heads up on the tax credit staying with the lease company - shame on me for not doing enough research. Better to find out now - one paycheck after changing my allowances instead of the end of the year - that could have been painful. I still feel like I got it for a song though. I used http://fightingchance.com/ approach and data along with a custom spreadsheet I created based on one from carbuyingtips.com. I reached out to 13 different dealers. 3 of them didn't have Leaf's on the lot, so I passed on them. Of the 10 others, the one that had the most Leafs (2016 or 2017 all Trims) was 4 total Leafs! NC just isn't a big market for EV right now. Out of all 10 quotes, I bought from the one with the best deal, which was $3,982 under invoice. The next closest was $2,815 under, then $985 OVER invoice, $1,320 over, and $2,015 over.

slowryd76 said:

In any case, goodbye VW diesel, hello electric Nissan!
Congratulations slowryd76! Just did the same thing - sold my Jetta TDI back to VW and leased a Leaf. Loved my diesel but that deal was too sweet to pass on. I'm on week 2 with the Leaf and very pleased! Big upside - no more rolling into work with the hands smelling like diesel fuel on the rare days I did have to fill up!

phish4me said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
phish4me said:

Residual is $10,765. What do you mean, "I'm guessing your accepted price number is off"?

What I meant by that is that the "price accepted" can't be $32,023. If you total up your down payment, 36 monthly lease payments, AND residual value, the total comes out to only: $23,310 (destination and title fees not included). So after all the discounts ($7500 tax rebate to NMAC, NMAC lease discount, etc), the price of your leaf was significantly less than $32k (even less than $23,310 since your monthly lease payments include sales tax).

Yes, you got a good deal!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
phish4me said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Residual is $10,765. What do you mean, "I'm guessing your accepted price number is off"?

What I meant by that is that the "price accepted" can't be $32,023. If you total up your down payment, 36 monthly lease payments, AND residual value, the total comes out to only: $23,310 (destination and title fees not included). So after all the discounts ($7500 tax rebate to NMAC, NMAC lease discount, etc), the price of your leaf was significantly less than $32k (even less than $23,310 since your monthly lease payments include sales tax).

Yes, you got a good deal!
Thanks! The adjusted cap cost was $20,708. This was my first lease and I feel like I was drinking from a fire hose - seems like dealers intentionally make it as complicated as possible - like some cryptic shell game. I just focused on residual value and the total cost I was going to pay over the course of the lease - seemed to work out well. The dealer showed me that she was losing $1,134 on the deal (-4.82% ROI) BUT they would make up for it by Nissan (Manufacturer) incentives - like the fact they sold their last 2016 which would bump them up to a bonus of $1k per car. Thanks for the patience - this site has been a great learning experience!

Bought a used 2013 Nissan Leaf SV last week in Seattle and imported it to Vancouver BC. The vehicle has 26000 miles on it and has a 91% State of Health capacity reading using LEAF Stat. I was waiting to post this information until I was able to get a system reading using Leafspy. Unfortunately for me two ELM327 dongles were not compatible with my Galaxy Tab, and I had to order a Wifi type dongle and use Leaf Stat with an Iphone. The Canadian Amazon site has limited information on the dongles,limited selection, and does not state whether the software is 1.5 or 2.1 version,. so I wasted a bit of money and time on two incompatible dongles.

I could not be happier with the car. It was a Seattle Washington area ex-lease car which was leased by its first owner for 2 years and 11 months starting in January 2014. The car has a 6.6 kw charger and no level 3 port, so it has never been fast charged. So it still has 12 bars, and may continue to have them for another year or so with luck. The car has only an OEM trickle charger, and I intend to continue to use this to see if I can live with the longer charge times. So far, with only a 30 km commute I anticipate this will be sufficient.

I intend to install a rear rview mirror type of aftermarket backup camera, and also upgrade the Carwings for use in Canada id the Nissan dealer here in North Vancouver will do this for a reasonable fee. Beyond that I intend to check out the Chargepoint Level 2 stations to see if they fit into my usual around town trips.

The car is well optioned, the price was great, and I am enjoying the experience of driving such a quiet vehicle.It is a Zen-like experience

I just signed the papers for a 2017 Leaf S w/ QC. Total OTD price was $22,055. This includes dealer discounts and the $10,000 Plug-in NC discount, but not the federal rebate. So once you factor that in, I got a brand new Leaf for $14,555 out of pocket. I feel like I got an outstanding deal. :cool:

Back