Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arnis said:
I think I have extraterrestrial battery on my Leaf.
Did one 100% 59 minute charge at DC-station.
Hx/SOH went up after DC-charge from 95 to 98,39%, SOH 98%.
Unrealistic numbers. I felt 95% was more-or-less correct.

279GIDs my *ss :roll: Not possible. Battery is 2,5 years old, 46600 miles, almost out of warranty.
Why is it not possible?

kjpowers said:
VitaminJ said:
Two routes you can take, try to preserve or try to accelerate the impending failure.

Best way to kill lithium batteries in my experience is to run them dead. Do you have another car? Run the Leaf to turtle and park it and don't plug it in. I would imagine after a week or two it would have discharged below the safe level and start to go bad fast.
Shame I did not know this. I was told to run it up to 100% and leave it for 2 weeks. Which is what I did. I am not able to let it sit right now. BUT I do turtle it almost every day trying to get to work.

You do BOTH: cycle it as much as you can and leave it sitting at 100% as much as you can...IN THE HEAT!
There's a million threads on "how to kill your battery": why is there so much confusion?

Stanton said:
You do BOTH: cycle it as much as you can and leave it sitting at 100% as much as you can...IN THE HEAT!
There's a million threads on "how to kill your battery": why is there so much confusion?

I had better "luck" leaving it as low SOC as possible in the heat. When I left it at high SOC (or 100%) I found the cell balancing pretty much kept my SOH steady.

Stanton said:
I was talking generally about lithium batteries; discharging the cells below their fully-depleted voltage will cause FAR more damage FAR faster than keeping it at 100%. I know it's commonly said to keep it at 100% on this forum, but based on his experience that increased his battery's health when he tried. Also I'm not sure where he lives but he may have trouble finding HEAT to park it in right now.

Lastly, the Leaf has a low voltage cutoff (turtle) that will protect the car from intentionally discharging below the safe limit, so extraordinary measures need to be taken to get around that which is why I suggested taking it to turtle and parking it for a long period of time so any parasitic drain will do it's work. I am not sure, maybe the Leaf can put the battery in a protective state where it will have no parasitic drain whatsoever. Just trying to help by providing my experience.

Discharged and kept in heat is more degrading than fully charged and kept in the heat.
Reason is that 100% is only 4.1-4,14V. That is far from uncomfortable.
On the other end Leaf dies when one of the cellpairs falls below 2.6V, even for a second.
Discharge it down to 0 bars (no turtle). Park it safely. Leave the vehicle on (no need for
heavy climate control drain). It will get down to turtle and then, eventually, one of the cellpairs
will dip below 2.6V limit. At that moment it is important to switch the vehicle off (otherwise
12V battery will be depleted). Vehicle will not engage drive mode until charge state above VLBW.
But if one of the cellpairs was at 2.6V without motor/AC drain, it will continue dropping voltage
within few days even without any load. Most likely only one cellpair will fail (the weakest one)
as there is lower limit for cellpair voltages that is acceptable to initiate charging.
NB! There is time limitation of doing that without killing warranty. Read the terms.
But it can be done again.
I would recommend to NOT CHARGE to 100% at all. Doing that for two months unbalanced
my new pack. Unbalanced pack has lower capacity compared to properly balanced one.
Repeating turtle discharge with letting it sit there for allowed time limit will degrade pack eventually.
PS! battery should be at least 25C/77F, otherwise it is in comfort zone. Anything above 40C /104F
and results will be noticeable within few weeks.
PS! discharging pack below LBW will tremendously heat it up compared to 20-100% charge state.

Be sure not to void the warranty.

So, my LEAF dropped to 8 bars at 60,300.
I had to start driving it (renting a car was getting expensive) and the AHr wasn't dropping with the car sitting.
Called the EV helpline, and after 3 weeks of deliberation they said there was nothing they could do for me.
They said I could finance a battery through Nissan, I guess because I'm in Virginia, but the total would be close to $7k with installation costs.
I'd be better off selling my LEAF for $5k and buying a 2015 LEAF SL for $9k (with the better battery chemistry.
Sucks.
Nissan just became a 4-letter word.

leafitbe said:
Nissan just became a 4-letter word.

Incorrect. They are that 4-letter word for at least 4 years.
Check mileage when you got the car (warranty first page).

You lost that last bar 0.5% over warranty. If Nissan thinks that you should pay 100% for the battery
they just upgrade their level of being that 4-letter word. World leaders of being unimaginably selfish.

My 2015 SL just lost the second bar today (2-2-17).

Here are the stats after a full charge overnight on my home L2 charger:

Mileage: 37,888
SOC: 97.0%
SOH: 78%
Hx: 61.54%
Ahr: 48.84
GIDs: 229

17.7 kWh remaining.

mtndrvr said:
2/11/17
31,512 miles
63.65 Ahr
97% SoC
276 GIDs

1/4/16
22,67 miles
64.65 Ahr
97% SoC
279 GIDs
98% SoH
5 QC and 796 Level1/2 charges

Battery seems to like the mountains of CO so far

mtndrvr said:
2013 Leaf, purchased in April 2014

4/27/15
12,094 miles
65.96 Ahr
97% SoC
284 GIDs

9/22/15
19,294 miles
62.7 Ahr
97 SoC
272 GIDs

I lost my 4th Capacity bar this morning...

104,071 Miles in 4 years 3 months. When it's in the 30s or below I get about 30 miles range.

I'm looking for a new car. I'll miss the first year and a half of my LEAF

Bought a 2013 about 2 months ago (loving it).

aHr=56.14
SOH=85%
384.0 V
odo=22,783
6 QCs and 907 L1/L2

Mark

Recently purchased my 13 SL currently with 14,361mi. I was playing around with the LeafSpy app and here are the readings I currently have:

AHr= 59.85 SOH = 91% Hx = 92.52% 384.5v 0.0A min/avg/max temps 4.004 4.009 4.013 (9mv) TempF= 63.3 63.6 61.9 (1.7)

I've been looking through the forum trying to trying to determine what the signs of a healthly battery for age and mileage is.

Randy

Randy993 said:
Recently purchased my 13 SL currently with 14,361mi. I was playing around with the LeafSpy app and here are the readings I currently have:

AHr= 59.85 SOH = 91% Hx = 92.52% 384.5v 0.0A min/avg/max temps 4.004 4.009 4.013 (9mv) TempF= 63.3 63.6 61.9 (1.7)

I've been looking through the forum trying to trying to determine what the signs of a healthly battery for age and mileage is.

Randy

LeafSpy varies wildly with ambient (and possibly battery) temperature. My 13SL AHrs have varied from where yours is up to about 67.362 over a two month period.

This link may be helpful - https://survey.pluginamerica.org/leaf/charts.php

2012 SL
Warranty expires in November 2017, but not sure I will make the 4 bar cut off. We're finally getting warmer weather in SoCal, but my SOH is concerning. I've dropped 0.5 AHr in the past 4 weeks though.

Current Stats:
53k miles
72% SOH (ever since 47.89 AHr)
44.464 AHr
Fall 17 Warranty expires.

I charge to 100% every night on my level 2. What am I doing wrong where the SOH remains so high? My AHrs are dropping, but SOH is not. Will my 4 bar be triggered by my SOH or my AHr?

I just purchased a used 2013 Leaf with approximately 36000 miles from Carvana, it was delivered with approx 70% charge, after charging overnight with the OEM trickle charger to attain 100% charge, the battery capacity is down one bar. From what I've read so far, this should be considered normal degradation. This Leaf was leased in SoCal for 3 three years and turned in at the end of the lease with approximately 34000 miles.I live in middle Tennessee(10 miles from the Nissan plant where the car was built), we can have some hot weather in the summer, but generally our climate is moderate, so I hope battery degradation over time should be normal. I am also curious if the different types of charging can affect battery capacity. We love the car so far, by the way.

Gorge said:
2012 SL
Warranty expires in November 2017, but not sure I will make the 4 bar cut off. We're finally getting warmer weather in SoCal, but my SOH is concerning. I've dropped 0.5 AHr in the past 4 weeks though.

Current Stats:
53k miles
44.464 AHr
11/17 Warranty expires.

I charge to 100% every night on my level 2. What am I doing wrong where the SOH remains so high? My AHrs are dropping, but SOH is not. Will my 4 bar be triggered by my SOH or my AHr?

Hi Gorge,

Try to bring it down to turtle if possible or at lease between 5-10 GID and then QC. Bringing it down that low and then QCing will really heat up the battery.

Gorge said:
2012 SL

Current Stats:
53k miles
44.464 AHr
11/17 Warranty expires.

interesting. I also have a 2012 SL with warranty until 11/17 with 9 bars. In the last 2 months my AHr went from 45.3 (69% SOH) to 46.5 (70% SOH) and now it's at about 46.1 AHr and 70% SOH. Weird how your AHr is lower and your SOH is higher. I've read where the 4th bar drops at about 43-42 Ahr.

Amped said:
Gorge said:
2012 SL

Current Stats:
53k miles
44.464 AHr
Fall 17 Warranty expires.

interesting. I also have a 2012 SL with warranty until 11/17 with 9 bars. In the last 2 months my AHr went from 45.3 (69% SOH) to 46.5 (70% SOH) and now it's at about 46.1 AHr and 70% SOH. Weird how your AHr is lower and your SOH is higher. I've read where the 4th bar drops at about 43-42 Ahr.

No idea... I'm at 44.11 now and still with 72% SOH.

The last 2012 we tested was at 41ish amp hours before it was 8 bars. My personal 2011 cars were 41ish amp hours at 8 bars. Some are higher amps at 8 bar but some are lower like these examples.

Back