Battery capacity question (with picture)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate all the responses, guys! I definitely know what to look for when I go to the dealer.

At this point I am likely going to drive up to Wayzata and purchase one there. Then will get a car hauler from uhaul and tow it home on that (all 4 wheels off the ground obviously). Thoughts on this scenario? Advice?

hyperionmark said:
I appreciate all the responses, guys! I definitely know what to look for when I go to the dealer.

At this point I am likely going to drive up to Wayzata and purchase one there. Then will get a car hauler from uhaul and tow it home on that (all 4 wheels off the ground obviously). Thoughts on this scenario? Advice?
That's what I did, bought my Leaf in Tacoma WA, towed it on a uhaul car hauler about 140 miles home to the Portland area.

hyperionmark said:

I towed my LEAF home on a Uhaul dolly (front wheels off the ground.) Worked great. Be sure to release the brakes ;-)

If you start the rental near your home so that you return at the same place it is ~ $50

hyperionmark said:
So this is denoting that I have a full 12 bars left? (although I would assume it's close to losing the first bar)

Is that normal for a 2013 S that was built in January of that year?

All that info being said, if everything else looks great on the car...is $7,000 a pretty decent deal?

Thanks!

https://goo.gl/photos/T7qMGNncpwZWFKrv5

you could have 15% degradation and still have 12 bars. Without LEAF Spy, you really don't know what you are getting. I would reach out to your local LEAF group for someone who will plug theirs in to check your car. Even if you have to throw him a 20, its well worth knowing what you are buying!

hyperionmark said:
I doubt this place will let me. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I even mentioned battery degradation. Just a small used car place in the midwest that rarely even sees EV's.

then move on. as soon as they see you leaving, they will change their minds

DaveinOlyWA said:
hyperionmark said:
I doubt this place will let me. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I even mentioned battery degradation. Just a small used car place in the midwest that rarely even sees EV's.

I agree; buying a used Leaf without a LeafSpy report sounds like a bad idea. Saying that you are going to check the battery might confuse the small dealership, but a customer should be able to demand and electronic health check through the OBDD port without confusing anybody. The port as been around forever, it is used by every mechanic I have ever met, and nowadays an OBD check is used as a smog check.

If the dealership is playing dumb or coy then DEFINITELY move on.

DaveinOlyWA said:
hyperionmark said:

I agree; buying a used Leaf without a LeafSpy report sounds like a bad idea. Saying that you are going to check the battery might confuse the small dealership, but a customer should be able to demand an electronic health check or the right to pull diagnostic codes through the OBDD port without confusing anybody. The port has been around forever, it is used by every mechanic I have ever met, and nowadays an OBD check is used as a smog check.

If the dealership is playing dumb or coy then DEFINITELY move on

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
hyperionmark said:

I agree; buying a used Leaf without a LeafSpy report sounds like a bad idea. Saying that you are going to check the battery might confuse the small dealership, but a customer should be able to demand and electronic health check through the OBDD port without confusing anybody. The port as been around forever, it is used by every mechanic I have ever met, and nowadays an OBD check is used as a smog check.

FYI; in my 2 LEAFs, it took all of 20 seconds to plug in the OBD and launch LEAF Spy. better to simply do it without asking. you will have your reading before they even realize what you are doing... :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

FYI; in my 2 LEAFs, it took all of 20 seconds to plug in the OBD and launch LEAF Spy. better to simply do it without asking. you will have your reading before they even realize what you are doing... :)
Absolutely. Go for a test drive without the salesman.

They cannot refuse you... Just say you are plugging in yours OBDII to check for error codes.... They don't have to know what data you are seeing???

I need help deciphering a battery report before purchasing a 2014 Leaf SV Manufactured 03/14 PLEASE :)

AHr= 57.62 SOH = 88% 384.75V Hx=86.83%

39,552 KM

Car was a lease in Georgia now for sale Victoria British Columbia,

Thanks

hyperionmark said:

Ha, that's what I did about 4 weeks ago. Bought mine from Wayzata Nissan and dolly'd it home to Eau Claire, WI. Worked well except for one thing. I paid for the car and then drove to get the dolly from uhaul in Plymouth. The dealership was closed when I got back, although I knew that would happen. The lot was snow covered and with snow on the wheels I had a hard time getting the front wheels up the dolly ramps as they kept slipping. I had to take a bit of a nervous run at the dolly to get enough momentum to get on the dolly.

My car is a 2013 SV with 30k mi. Still have all 12 bars. My leafspy shows Ahr 60.25 with SOH 92%. I paid 8.5k.

bazzmclean said:
I need help deciphering a battery report before purchasing a 2014 Leaf SV Manufactured 03/14 PLEASE :)

39,552 KM

Thanks
About 12% of a new car battery capacity is no longer available

SageBrush said:
bazzmclean said:

39,552 KM

Thanks
About 12% of a new car battery amount is no longer available

actually about 14½% new pack; 67.36 ahr

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
bazzmclean said:

39,552 KM

Thanks

IS this a fairly common number for a 2014?

bazzmclean said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

not sure there is such a thing. problem with coming from a hot area is that its easy to increase degradation if charging/storage/parking of car is not handled well. I know several 2014's and 2013's that have a third of the degradation seen here but were also in cooler climates.

DaveinOlyWA said:
bazzmclean said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

not sure there is such a thing. problem with coming from a hot area is that its easy to increase degradation if charging/storage/parking of car is not handled well. I know several 2014's and 2013's that have a third of the degradation seen here but were also in cooler climates.

I see thank you. I guess what worries me is Georgia is pretty warm and its a black car so if it was parked outside all the time it would have been kept at a hot temperature which would explain the degradation.

bazzmclean said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
bazzmclean said:

I see thank you. I guess what worries me is Georgia is pretty warm and its a black car so if it was parked outside all the time it would have been kept at a hot temperature which would explain the degradation.

yeah, there is little doubt there was increased degradation due to heat. It is possible that numbers are depressed from lack of driving but probably no more than 2-3 points. There is a guy with over 80,000 miles on his 2013 LEAF in WA and he claims about 5% loss of range so far so climate makes a huge difference

DaveinOlyWA said:
bazzmclean said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

yeah, there is little doubt there was increased degradation due to heat. It is possible that numbers are depressed from lack of driving but probably no more than 2-3 points. There is a guy with over 80,000 miles on his 2013 LEAF in WA and he claims about 5% loss of range so far so climate makes a huge difference

Look what I found out on used Leafs: Many older cars will have just 9 or 10 bars showing on the battery meter. If you find an older LEAF that still shows 12 bars on the battery meter, be suspicious. Rumors are beginning to surface that unscrupulous dealers have figured out how to trick the meter so it reads 12 bars even on old cars with weak batteries. Allegedly, the car will continue to show 12 bars for a few weeks until the software catches up with reality. Then bars will start disappearing at a rapid rate and you will be driving a LEAF with half the range it should have.

Back