Battery capacity question (with picture)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bazzmclean said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
bazzmclean said:
I see thank you. I guess what worries me is Georgia is pretty warm and its a black car so if it was parked outside all the time it would have been kept at a hot temperature which would explain the degradation.

yeah, there is little doubt there was increased degradation due to heat. It is possible that numbers are depressed from lack of driving but probably no more than 2-3 points. There is a guy with over 80,000 miles on his 2013 LEAF in WA and he claims about 5% loss of range so far so climate makes a huge difference

Look what I found out on used Leafs: Many older cars will have just 9 or 10 bars showing on the battery meter. If you find an older LEAF that still shows 12 bars on the battery meter, be suspicious. Rumors are beginning to surface that unscrupulous dealers have figured out how to trick the meter so it reads 12 bars even on old cars with weak batteries. Allegedly, the car will continue to show 12 bars for a few weeks until the software catches up with reality. Then bars will start disappearing at a rapid rate and you will be driving a LEAF with half the range it should have.

That is known as a BMS reset. There are some that will do it on purpose, to hide the true capacity. That is why LeafSpy is so important when purchasing a used Leaf. The AHr reading stays constant, even with a BMS reset. A low AHr reading with 12 Capacity Bars on the dash shows it has been done. There are also some Recalls/Software Updates for the Leaf that will do a BMS reset as part of the update process.

bazzmclean said:
I need help deciphering a battery report before purchasing a 2014 Leaf SV Manufactured 03/14 PLEASE :)

AHr= 57.62 SOH = 88% 384.75V Hx=86.83%

39,552 KM

Car was a lease in Georgia now for sale Victoria British Columbia,

Thanks

The battery stats are reasonably good for a 2014 from Georgia. Moving it to a colder climate should slow degradation. There are two issues to consider, bringing a US Leaf to Canada. The first is the DRL requirement, which is easy to overcome. The second is the CarWings/EVConnect feature likely will not work. There have been some workarounds reported in other threads, but they failed after a few days. Nissan appears to be silently purging US Leafs taken to Canada from the system to eliminate the international data roaming fees they have been paying. Check the Canadian forum for more details.

bazzmclean said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
bazzmclean said:
I see thank you. I guess what worries me is Georgia is pretty warm and its a black car so if it was parked outside all the time it would have been kept at a hot temperature which would explain the degradation.

yeah, there is little doubt there was increased degradation due to heat. It is possible that numbers are depressed from lack of driving but probably no more than 2-3 points. There is a guy with over 80,000 miles on his 2013 LEAF in WA and he claims about 5% loss of range so far so climate makes a huge difference

Look what I found out on used Leafs: Many older cars will have just 9 or 10 bars showing on the battery meter. If you find an older LEAF that still shows 12 bars on the battery meter, be suspicious. Rumors are beginning to surface that unscrupulous dealers have figured out how to trick the meter so it reads 12 bars even on old cars with weak batteries. Allegedly, the car will continue to show 12 bars for a few weeks until the software catches up with reality. Then bars will start disappearing at a rapid rate and you will be driving a LEAF with half the range it should have.

which only means we go back to the original recommendation of checking it with LEAF Spy before buying.

SageBrush said:
hyperionmark said:
Thanks guys!

And what number should I be looking for when I see AH?
Here is my LeafSpy report as an example of the screen to look at. The capacity number in Ahr is top left

your 2013 still has 98% SoH left? congrats!
Prior user must not have used the car much

seanheat said:
SageBrush said:
hyperionmark said:
Thanks guys!

Here is my LeafSpy report as an example of the screen to look at. The capacity number in Ahr is top left

your 2013 still has 98% SoH left? congrats!
Prior user must not have used the car much
About 23k miles and ~ 700 L1 charges from the first owners.

I'd love to be able to tell you how much of this great battery is due to the previous owner's lifestyle or geography or use profile, and how much due to the luck of getting a fluke battery but for now I have no idea. I'm just going to try and take care of it the best I know how and hope it lasts a long, long time.

lorenfb said:
With regard to your image of LeafSpy data (64.55 Ahrs & 97%), mostly likely the Ahrs shown are based on
SOC = 100%, i.e. it been "normalized" to use that term. I will verify this with my Leaf & LeafSpy.
Presently my LeafDD indicates about 32 Ahrs (not fully charged). LeafSpy indicates 53 Ahrs and SOC = 60%
with the same image as displayed upthread (53 Ahrs X 60% = 32 Ahrs). So the percentage shown is the
present SOC of your battery, i.e. it then had about 63 Ahrs (64.55 X 97%) of available capacity left from
the last charge.

With regard to your Ahrs, you have basically a new 24kWh Leaf!
Here is another screen capture when the SOC was 75.4%. The Ahr reading is still just under 64 Ahr, so at least on this page of LeafSpy the Ahr has been normalized to full. Or 100% -- I'm not sure if there is a difference.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5KuQk2b_F-VYkg5YVR2VlFkS28

uc

SageBrush said:
hyperionmark said:
Thanks guys!

uc

My cells are wayyyy out of wack compared to yours. min 4.075 max 4.105v. At full charge,

Back