Car won't start OR charge - RESOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PowayDon said:
Next day go to AutoZone and buy the best one they got.
The guy at AutoZone gave me a funny look when I wanted a 12v battery for my electric car.
Installed it in the Leaf without any issues. So nice that the terminals are not all corroded in the Leaf.
Runs great now. I swear I'm getting better range.

If the old battery was dead (as soon as plates inside touch each other battery is permanently dead and will discharge on its own)
then you are getting better range now. It is not an illusion.

This happened to me recently and I did end up unplugging the battery and waiting and pluged it back it and it was able to start.

PowayDon said:
I got in my 2012 to go to work but the ready light wouldn't light. Acted like my foot wasn't on brake.
Took my ICE to work. I was concerned about Leaf's reliability.
Thanks to the posts here and other topics I was able to troubleshoot my issue.
First I tried a reboot / reset by disconnecting the negative cable. While I was waiting the 10 minutes I measured the 12v battery. Got about 9 volts. Tried to charge it but the needle gauge on charger was erratic. I put the cable back on and tried to start but now got a Can't find the key fob message.
12 v battery is no good. It's failure is not common. Normally one can charge a weak 12 volt back up to 12 volts. How long it holds the charge determines how quickly it needs to be replaced. This one was partially fried. Getting a jump was impossible.
Next day go to AutoZone and buy the best one they got. Duralast Gold with 5 year . Ended up getting a $20 rebate.
The guy at AutoZone gave me a funny look when I wanted a 12v battery for my electric car.
Installed it in the Leaf without any issues. So nice that the terminals are not all corroded in the Leaf.
Runs great now. I swear I'm getting better range.

Thanks for posting this. My 2011 LEAF died with the same symptoms today. It started right up with a new battery. You saved me a ton of work and angst.

Thanks for the info.
I had similar issue with my 2011 Leaf not L1 charging at home. It's strange because it beeps once when I insert charger, then nothing... I reset battery as suggested by removing negative side of 12v battery. Didn't change anything, issue remained. So I go to autozone and pay $139(!!!!) for a new 12v battery because when tested it said, "bad battery". New battery installed.....issue remains :(. Any suggestions on what I should try next?
Thanks

First, make sure the new battery is not defective and is well charged. Then try charging car again. If it still does not charge, check for DTCs using Leaf Spy Pro. Record DTCs and then clear them. Then try charging car again.

Amcbride, Did you just purchase this 2011 Leaf? Does the 120 V outlet have good power and ground? Have you charged on that outlet before? Can you charge at an L2 location? Is a timer set up for charging? Do you see three blue flashing lights on the dashboard? Did you press the timer override button?

Our 2011 Leaf is doing similar - a few weeks ago it was not charging, and today its been doing it again.

Will check battery and try the reset. The only item ever replaced has been tires, so I can't complain too much just
yet ;)

Back