First Leaf, 2013 SL/premium package or SV with lower miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperJETT

I've been lurking a while, finally signed up as we're ready to buy.

I have a 2013 SL with premium package and 38,xxx miles in great condition that I'm looking at tomorrow but also have 2 different SVs with 25-28,xxx miles, both with quick charge and heat pump for maybe $750-1000 cheaper. Both of those have 11/12 bars, the SL I believe is 12/12 but might be 11/12---I'll scan it tomorrow when I look at it.

Is the price differential about right? I figure the premium package and SL adds a decent amount but loses some for the mileage.

BTW, none of them are in Louisville, one is about 3 hours away and the other 2 are 10+.

You are on your own on this one..

All I can say, is like with all used cars, get the lowest mileage and best battery you can afford. Do not be impressed with trim levels, as they are a upsell that no one needs... Unless they were the same mileage and same price...

Look at the build date on the driver's door sill sticker, and avoid a pre April 2013 build unless it has a new battery pack! A 12 bar car should have more than 87% SOH (right at 87 means it's virtually 11 bars) and you should hope for 90% or better.

SuperJETT said:
Related to the battery, what SOH % should I be hoping for on a 2013 that's been treated well and not in extreme heat or cold?
My 2013 has a SOH of 97%, manufactured in 10/2013.

I'll be surprised if you find anything close to that healthy in cars that have lived in the southeast so a better question might be what range do you require from the car and, for how long, to be satisfied with the purchase ?

I have read a couple people who carry a notion that they will replace the battery every ~ 5 years or so for the going rate of $6000. That actually sounds like a great deal, if I was not skeptical of Nissan selling me a healthy battery in the future (say, later than 2020.) I mention this to say that an alternative approach to consider is finding a car in otherwise great shape that has a battery on its last legs and is dirt cheap to buy. Then buy a new battery today, while Nissan is is still selling batteries in good health.

Your third choice is a mixture: buy a car with accelerated battery degradation and another year or two of age warranty left. If you are 'lucky' you get a battery for free; or in a year or two you pay $6000 and then get another five years of good service from the car.

I ended up with a different one that I think is an overall better car/deal. 2013 SV (December 2013 build date) with 23,000, not a single ding on it, and I got to scan the battery to see 87% SOH/86.12% Hx/57.3 A-Hr which I think is pretty good for a 2013 at this point.

Thanks for all the tips.

Back