Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and brake system warning light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javan

My 2012 Leaf with about 28,000 miles on it had its yellow VDC and brake system lights activate on the dashboard. I tried to turn off the VDC controls, but that did nothing for the warning lights. I took the vehicle in for service. The service tech tried to turn off the codes, but they popped right back up when starting the car. They ordered parts (47240-AL500: Sensor Assy hyp.) Two weeks later, they installed the parts (car was driving normally in between appointments). Here is the description from the service sheet: "Pull codes C1142, C1A70. Erase codes and they come right back. Test drive and watch press sensor in ABS and does not change. Test ABS system and op normally. P&A sensor.
Rack and remove cover. Replace one sensor, ck still bad, replace other sensor and lites went off. Erase codes. Stayed away. Reinst cover."
Work was done under warranty so no charge. Warning lights stayed off on drive home. Seems like problem solved so far.

Hi,

I just want to give my experience which might be of benefit to someone sometime somewhere.

Same as that - orange EBD light on together with the 2 orange triangle lights. As they were only orange, I wasn't immediately worried. Add to the lights however was a new noise from what I might call the brake distribution module or ABS module under the bonnet of a motor spinning up for 2-3 seconds. This worried me and I suspected a broken shaft or the like in this. Addition worry later when Nissan suggested that the part would cost over 4000 euro and the car is over 3 years old so out of warranty!

Anyway, left it go for months and finally brought it to Nissan for a code read and "DTC C1142 Press. Sen. Circuit and C1A70 Brake control system" codes were returned.

The solution for them was replace the brake pressure sensor - 47240-AL500. Two of them required at a cost of 305.65 euro plus VAT. So off to the internet and found what was listed as the same part number on ebay. A lot cheaper so I took a chance and bought 2. Again time passed with the two sensors in the glovebox and finally the other day (the first sign of spring!)I went at the car. The two sensors are attached to the master cylinder and fairly easy to get at. A 24mm spanner will loosen them after the connectors are removed. However before I did anything, I just connected the new sensors to the car without putting them in to the master cylinder to see if the lights might go out on the dash. And voila! Lights out! So I removed the old ones and inserted the new ones and 2 days later all still good. The code is probably still logged in the car but that's not going to worry me.

Now that the sensors are working again the regenerative braking connecting to the footbrake is back working and more regenerative dots appear when slowing down with the assistance of the footbrake. Braking has also gone back to the slightly gerky way it was until the fault occurred.

Hope this might help in the event of a similar fault.

J.

P.S. Now I've to go away and figure out why the car is not fast charging! Anyone??

I have the same two yellow warning lights, phoned the garage today but thought I'd check here too. Cars performance seems OK, and I'm reluctant to have it in for extensive repairs unless it is a safety issue, because it only has three months left on the three year lease. So, how serious is it?

Orange in my mind means fault but not critical. (Red would mean critical fault) If it's less than 3 years old is it not covered by the warranty? I drove mine for months with the lights on. You might say the regenerative braking not working fully meant I wasn't getting the maximum range but I didn't notice.

Looks about right and the listing mentions the same number that I had in the previous post. Hope this helps.

Thanks john i dont fancy paying the dealer a fortune and it looks like its been a big problem
[urlhttp://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/11781-Weird-glitch-regen-stopped-working/page6][/url] :roll:

Are these the correct sensors
816327420e003066b094414d56bb21b16ff46b1ac780673f09034805958a5dc761ba6a2f.jpg

Yes. Bottom of the master cylinder. The new leaf only has one. What I did was connect them electrically only first and when I turned on the ignition the lights went out and the fault was gone. Probably still logged but I didn't care. Then all I had to do was swap out the sensors. I didn't drain the fluid. Just lost a small amount. Hope this helps.

Don't know. 2012 model had 2. 2015 has 1. You could try replacing one. I didn't bother as at the time I could only find the part in USA so wasn't going to risk it.

Well it's done at last the wife managed to get one of the plugs off so i plugged the new sensor in without unscrewing the old one and the noise stopped on startup and the lights went out, so i popped to my local garage and he fitted the sensor in 5 minutes and the wife plugged it in.
Total cost £49.50 for the sensor and £6 for a big bag of tea bags and some chocolate biscuits for the garage as he wouldn't take any money

I also have this same problem on a 2013 SV. I get the same hum at startup and notice no extra regen with the brake pedal. I bought it to the dealership. They find the codes C1A70 brake control system and C1AA9 pressure sensor. They also tested the pressure sensor and confirm it not working. However they want to replace the ABS control module: actuator assembly for $1600 and possibly also the brake actuator assembly for $2300 (the difference isn't clear). Claiming the pressure sensor is part of the control module. But, I see one pressure sensor on the brake cylinder. Do I really need a 1000+$ part.

Hard to remember yesterday not to mention 2 years ago....

Different to the codes I had. I think I would consider another opinion given the potential cost that's at stake.

I understand but would it not be like you having an airbag module fault and front crash sensor fault compared to me having an airbag module fault and rear crash sensor fault. The cure would be different for both situations. Maybe not. Like I said I would be inclined to get a second opinion.

Back