Warning: Nissan EVSE Charger Handle Issue Disables Vehicle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FalconFour said:
The latch on these handles is metal.
Huh? Even on the L1 EVSE that comes with '13 Leafs? The J1772 handle on the '11 and '12 Leaf is a totally different part than on the '13, besides the rest of the whole EVSE looking totally different.

The release button and the latch on my '13's L1 EVSE are totally plastic. At least, that's all that's visible. I don't know about its internals.

FalconFour said:
If you drop it on its "nose" (as it's very easy to do, don't deny it ;) ), it'll land on that metal, deforming it. While it still appears "normal" at a basic glance, when you plug it into the car you'll be in for a nasty surprise.
Thanks for the heads up, FalconFour!

My J1772 handle has a plastic button too. No visible metal at all. Tho I am familiar with what the handles that have metal look like.

I am going to try to Warrenty mine.
I just bought the car last week so pardon any ignorance.

cwerdna said:
FalconFour said:
The latch on these handles is metal.
Huh? Even on the L1 EVSE that comes with '13 Leafs? The J1772 handle on the '11 and '12 Leaf is a totally different part than on the '13, besides the rest of the whole EVSE looking totally different.

The release button and the latch on my '13's L1 EVSE are totally plastic. At least, that's all that's visible. I don't know about its internals.
Hmm... righty. I forgot, just the original '11/12 EVSEs have the original Yazaki plug with the metal latch. After that, it's all a much lighter-weight plastic. Many other EVSEs have a metal latch in one way or another as well. The pivot pin inside the handle is another metal suspect, but fairly less likely... the plastic would probably break before that thing gives way to being bent (which is why I like plastic latches :lol: way easier to diagnose).

The charger handle breaking is likely caused by the automatic metal sliding lock actuator on the car combined with a weak plastic push lever on the handle. A confuse owner or a theft attempt could break the plastic. However, you can get away using it on a 2011 Leaf.

The 2011 Leaf didn't come with a metal sliding lock actuator so I would use a 2013 charger on a 2011. And a 2011 Charger ( or EVSE) on a 2013. The 2011 charger is heavier and sturdier. It has screws so I can make cleaning or repairs easier.

A warning to others that whenever charging at a public station: Never press on any plastic release button lever over a certain amount of pressure. Angry customers waiting in line may forcibly press on this lever...so expect problems if you lock the charger from the inside.

A warning when charging on a driveway while using the built in actuated fake lock: Don't use this fake lock because a theft attempt would likely damage the charger. This could brick your car as well. Place a real padlock on the charger handle then engage the fake lock.

As has been noted in another thread, it CAN be released with a flat blade screw driver in an emergency...

michapok said:
FYI, Just had this happen to a colleague of mine here in NY. Same issue as the OP: handle got stuck and car had to be flatbedded to the dealer.

It happened to me yesterday, I could not press down the release button all the way on the EVSE handle so the little hook latch that holds it would not release. I had to open the hood, remove the plastic panel and insert a long thin standard screw driver in through the side sort of to release the hook latch. For now I have threaded some wire around the hook latch so I can pull up on it to release it. I originally put a shim under the hook latch to keep it fro engaging when inserted but this doesn't work because apparently the switch inside the handle was still turning the power off.

When it first happened I was not sure exactly why it would not release, so I am grateful
for the information on this website which helped me figure out what the problem was so I could start dealing with it.

This is the panel under the hood I removed to release the EVSE handle hook latch
view

You need to release the little plastic fasteners by gently prying up the center head with a standard screw driver of a knife edge.
view

Then you can see the latch hook and lift it up with a standard screw driver.
view

view

This is my temporary fix
view

view

I guess I will have to find a new place to put those pictures, doesn't look like the links work

On another note, has anyone tried to take the handle apart and fix it?

Back