Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or a lifetime battery warranty would work to deal with anxiety over degradation. So it looks like they are listening to what it will take to get mass market adoption.

Styling is more like what has proven successful with the mass market. The article wrongly says this is a risk. Early adopters like the science project looks as they are wanting to make a statement and get asked about it and be part of educating people. However, the styling that sells well with the mass market is what EVs need to move to if they are going to truly go mass market.

I like the looks and the mpg numbers are attractive too. This could be a good option. I'm going to have to go visit a dealer and kick the tires.

The BEV only version range limit is still a little short of what I'm looking for. But the hybrid option might work.

But I won't pull the trigger yet as my current daily driver isn't ready to be replaced yet and right now my finances can't handle it. So I can probably wait until Leaf 2 arrives. But I'm really glad to see more good options showing up in the market.

Foschas said:
Hyundai Ioniq lifetime ev battery warranty and other news

https://www.cars.com/articles/hyundai-prices-2017-ioniq-hybrid-and-ev-1420694104228/
I will withhold judgement until we see what the warranty actually covers. The 2013 Leaf had a 8 yr/100k battery warranty, but only covers "defects" and does not consider degradation a "defect", leaving a much less useful "battery capacity" warranty for much lower mileage and much shorter time.

Firetruck41 said:
Foschas said:
Hyundai Ioniq lifetime ev battery warranty and other news

https://www.cars.com/articles/hyundai-prices-2017-ioniq-hybrid-and-ev-1420694104228/
I will withhold judgement until we see what the warranty actually covers.
The Volt has no degradation warranty but likewise has no detectable degradation either.
(Contrary to popular belief the car does not open SOC automatically, you have to go to GM they do a test and open it manually if needed)

Anyway...
I rather own a car that doesn't need the warranty and has a good battery system than deal with the hassle.

This means I won't be an early adopter, after a year or two in the foreign markets i will know if the Ioniq is an option regardless of its warranty.

Mayb too synical but my experience with claiming on plainly worded warranties is mediocre at best.

DarthPuppy said:
Or a lifetime battery warranty would work to deal with anxiety over degradation. So it looks like they are listening to what it will take to get mass market adoption.

Styling is more like what has proven successful with the mass market. The article wrongly says this is a risk. Early adopters like the science project looks as they are wanting to make a statement and get asked about it and be part of educating people. However, the styling that sells well with the mass market is what EVs need to move to if they are going to truly go mass market.
Agreed that a comprehensive capacity warranty would do the job*, but see comments by others on just what the battery warranty does or does not cover. As to styling, I agree, it's a lot easier to sell a car to the general public if it isn't a 'weirdmobile'. Tesla figured that out, as has Ford (Fusion Energi). Toyota, OTOH . . .

*This will be necessary until we get a chemistry that can realistically last the life of the car with minimal degradation. Alternatively, battery leasing is an option which I'm still in favor of, provided you implement some guaranteed 'second use' for it, whether stationary storage or whatever. But that boosts the perceived 'hassle factor' beyond the acceptable limits for many, even if the swap shouldn't take any more time than a tune-up, if not being a lot less.

GCC has the most comprehensive report on the Ioniq's USA roll-out.

Look for drive reports by ~ Monday

Hyundai begins rollout of Ioniq Hybrid, PHEV and EV; most efficient non-plug vehicle, most efficient EV in US; powertrain discussion
16 February 2017
Hyundai has begun the US sales rollout of its Ioniq line of electrified vehicles, which come in hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery-electric variants. (Earlier post.) At a media preview in Santa Barbara this week, Hyundai executives said the the hybrid will be moving into showrooms shortly, the battery-electric version in April (in California initially), and the plus-in hybrid in Q4. The Ioniq Hybrid boasts the highest fuel economy in the US (up to 58 mpg) for a non-plug-in vehicle and the Ioniq Electric is the industry’s most efficient EV (136 mpge).

All three variants were available for media drives this week (drive impressions embargoed until next Monday); the hybrid and EV versions were production cars, the plug-in was still characterized as “prototype.” Nevertheless, technical executives and engineers from Korea and from the Hyundai-Kia America technical center in the US were on hand to provide market and technical background. Furthermore, two engineers from the US technical center gave presentations last week at the SAE 2017 Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Technologies Symposium in San Diego, discussing aspects of the hybrid and battery-electric powertrains, including some of the unique features and Hyundai “firsts” represented in the Ioniq...
One of the best surprise features, in a low-priced BEV, which helps to explain the reports on the Ioniq's excellent cold weather range:

...The Ioniq EV also features a sophisticated heat pump system that integrates recovered waste heat from the power electronics. At 32 F, the heat pump system can increase range by about 14% compared to a resistive heater, Miller said. Looking at the average power of a driving cycle, use of the heat pump system can result in a 61% reduction of load at 32 F ambient, Miller said...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/02/20170216-ioniq-1.html

As I've posted previously, the Ioniq's superior efficiency and (perhaps) higher charge rate as shown above means it should actually be a fairly close contest between it and a Bolt on a long freeway trip, despite the Bolt having more than twice the Ioniq's available battery capacity.

For example, I would expect an Ioniq driven from L.A to S.F (at the unofficial speed limit) could get there within ~ a half-hour of the time it took for a Bolt, and could even pass the bolt on a longer trip.

Both BEVs would be much slower than any ICEVs on any long trip, of course.

This is cool:

The high-voltage Li-ion battery package includes not only the energy storage system for the hybrid powertrain, but also a Li-ion 12V auxiliary battery; this packaging allowed Hyundai to remove the 50 Ah AGM battery, saving 26 lbs (12 kg) in the process. The Ioniq always monitors state of charge (SOC). If the 12V battery is deactivated for some reason, the driver can push a battery reset button/ If the button does not work, or if there is some unforeseen scenario, there are jumpstart studs. In the worst case, the 12V battery, which is modularized within the larger package, can be serviced.

-
How did the reviewer figure that out so quickly!

From a YouTube posted a year ago in Jan 2016 - Hyundai I oniq Hybrid Launch Review (English Subbed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmSdHewNoow

Reviews from the press event are out.

Most say about the same thing, that it's a BEV/PHEV/hybrid that won't cause ICEV drivers undue anxiety...

...Both the EV and hybrid have clean, friendly appearances. You know how hybrids and EVs all looked like spaceships for a while? Yeah, these don’t, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Hyundai didn’t say the Ioniq was aimed at siphoning off Prius diehards—more so, the traditionally sedan-happy demographic of several automakers. That mentality seems to have paid off. The layout of the interior is intuitive and should be a comfortable transition for, say, a Toyota Corolla-lifer who’s looking for their first alternative powertrain vehicle.

Why Does It Matter?

At the risk of sounding like a cheapass, the aggressive pricing of the Ioniq — along with Hyundai’s clear intention to using it as a vehicle to developing an accessible autonomous car down the line — is the most notable point. Carrying a range of more than 120 miles, the Ioniq doesn’t quite reach the new major benchmark cemented by the Bolt, but it jumps ahead of the outdated Focus EV, Nissan Leaf and Kia Soul EV, which typically carry claimed ranges of up to 110 miles.

But slicing nearly a quarter of the cost off the Bolt, the Ioniq takes itself into newer territory...
http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-hyundai-ioniq-ev-and-hybrid-work-because-theyr-1792521675

http://www.tflcar.com/2017/02/the-2017-hyundai-ioniq-three-shades-of-green/

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/latest-reviews/first-drive-2017-hyundai-ioniq-review-article-1.2977210

Which may be a very smart approach to selling Ioniqs...

Marktm said:
Can anyone confirm that the BEV version might resolve one of Leaf's design issues - however, will it create others?

"One interesting technical aspect of the Ioniq range: the cars have no 12-volt battery. Instead, the engine is started and accessories are run by one module of the high-voltage pack."

The original Tesla Roadster 1.0 (with 2 speed transmission) and 1.5 were all operated without a traditional 12 volt lead acid battery.

There's no reason this can't be done in the future.

Personally I'd rather have it be a discrete 12v Li battery instead of incorporating it into the HV battery pack for user serviceability and note it's not just using one of the already used HV cells, according to the article "the 12V battery, which is modularized within the larger package, can be serviced."......I'm sure only by a service technician and a lot more cost than replacing a battery(even a 12v Li) by yourself :x
Still plan on giving the EV Ioniq a closer look when it hits my part of the country.

Jalopnik.com is a pretty crappy site, From their (paid) review:

"Here’s the basics. Given the Ioniq’s plug-in hybrid version remains in pre-production, there were no official specs, but the other two models I tested are ready to go. The all-electric model carries 124 miles of range, 88 kW of battery power, 0 to 60 reportedly in a lethargic 10 seconds (Hyundai said it doesn’t release performance figures but some surfaced when the Ioniq was announced), 118 horsepower and 215 lb-ft of torque. "

Presumably the 88kw is the motor output.

LeftieBiker said:
Jalopnik.com is a pretty crappy site, From their (paid) review:

"Here’s the basics. Given the Ioniq’s plug-in hybrid version remains in pre-production, there were no official specs, but the other two models I tested are ready to go. The all-electric model carries 124 miles of range, 88 kW of battery power, 0 to 60 reportedly in a lethargic 10 seconds (Hyundai said it doesn’t release performance figures but some surfaced when the Ioniq was announced), 118 horsepower and 215 lb-ft of torque. "

Presumably the 88kw is the motor output.

So, not much different from the Leaf, except for range.

If the headlights work well, you can select a less than 100% charge limit, and the car is otherwise no worse than the Leaf, it will be a clear winner when compared to it. Possibly excepting Winter driving on winding, hilly roads.

The I oniq BEV has a normal 12V battery at the front.

zwf9di.jpg

It is the I oniq Hybrid that has the 12V battery hidden at the back.

The big question is - is the Ioniq any better than Ford Focus EV. No, not in terms of technology - but in terms of selling intent.

FFE was also "available for ordering" from all states (IIRC). But never reached above 2k per year in sales ! In 2016 sold less than 1k !!

The FFE is a compliance car based on an existing ICE platform. The Ioniq is a new platform designed with multiple drivetrains in mind, including EV. Hopefully the Hyundai will also prove more reliable, from what I've read about the FFE.

Back