Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not averse to a completely new and different EV - far from it. But, I wish that if Nissan hangs something out there, that it have some huge advantage that translated to a LOT more range.

The aero on this car is all wrong for efficiency and for more range. It is almost exactly bassakwards.

NeilBlanchard said:
I am not averse to a completely new and different EV - far from it. But, I wish that if Nissan hangs something out there, that it have some huge advantage that translated to a LOT more range.

The aero on this car is all wrong for efficiency and for more range. It is almost exactly bassakwards.
The small frontal area is conducive to a low CD, there just isn't a lot surface area to block wind. The shape also increases the downforce and the small track, reduces the rolling resistance. All of that increases range, but the only thing that will be a 'huge advantage" is more kwh. Nissan doesn't seem too hot on that right now.

The BladeGlider does not have a small frontal area - which is defined as everything you can see from straight on. The rear fenders and wheels are included in the frontal area. So, since this design has to have wider track on the rear wheels to keep it stable, it actually has a larger frontal area than it otherwise would.

Here is a low drag three seat design that is able to go ~270 miles on just 30kWh:

http://insideevs.com/turkish-electric-car-travels-436-km-single-charge/

1129-750x399.jpg

That is quite impressive, I think you'll agree. At ~111Wh/mile this is just about the most efficient car I have ever seen.

Disappointing update.

Looks like Nissan may lose the opportunity to sell me another vehicle, in the next few years.

...Nissan’s radical electric BladeGlider is still classed as “an exploratory concept” 18 months after being revealed at the 2013 Tokyo motor show, with the project described as being “not among the immediate priorities” of the firm by its new chief planning officer Philippe Klein.

Described as an “anti-establishment three-seat electric sports car” and championed on its reveal by then Nissan boss Andy Palmer, who now runs Aston Martin, BladeGlider was expected to go on sale by 2017 priced at around £30,000...

But Klein, who replaced Palmer last year, said: “It is still on the table, but at the end of the day it has to make sense to the company. We have the concept car, and it has the ability to surprise, but it is not big in our plans now. Before we jump in with a production car there is a path to take - and first we must see the opportunity is there.”...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/three-seat-nissan-bladeglider-shown?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pleasantly surprised.

It's back, and looking much more like it's close to production specs!

And with that aero profile and low weight, it looks to me like it could exceed 5 m/kWh at freeway speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLlbGSOogUQ

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-bladeglider-brings-cutting-edge-intelligent-mobility-to-life

Aug 4, 2016
Nissan BladeGlider brings cutting edge Intelligent Mobility to life

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today unveiled the working prototype of its futuristic Nissan BladeGlider vehicle, combining zero-emissions with high-performance in a revolutionary sports car design.

The vehicles, developed from concept cars first shown at the Tokyo Auto Show in 2013, have arrived in Brazil to symbolize future technologies that will combine Intelligent Mobility, environmentally friendly impact and sports-car driving capabilities.

Carlos Ghosn, president and chief executive officer, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. said: "These prototypes epitomize Nissan's drive to expand its Intelligent Mobility strategy, where driving pleasure combines with environmental responsibility. Nissan believes that enthusiasts should look forward to a zero emission future and Nissan BladeGlider is a perfect demonstration of that. It's the electric vehicle for car lovers."

The debut of the Nissan Bladeglider prototypes forms part of Nissan's on-going commitment to the development of zero-emission vehicles and new automotive technologies including autonomous drive systems and connectivity. Nissan already sells the world's highest-volume zero-emission car, the LEAF, and is pioneering Intelligent Mobility systems that will be deployed in a range of vehicles over coming years.

With the Nissan Bladeglider, Nissan's vision was for an agile, efficient EV that would provide new dimensions of driving fun and excitement – a car that would "glide," thanks to the near-silent performance of its electric powertrain and aerodynamic shape.

After two years of work on design, engineering and development, Nissan BladeGlider has evolved further into an exciting, real-life study into the potential of advanced EV performance. Nissan BladeGlider epitomizes Intelligent Mobility, a philosophy to make its cars more exciting by redefining how they are driven, powered and integrated into society.

The demonstration models feature an advanced chassis configuration with a narrow front track and wider rear track for optimum aerodynamic efficiency and handling stability.

High-waisted, rear-hinged dihedral doors provide a dramatic entry and exit to the cabin. The open roof of Nissan BladeGlider is reinforced with an integrated roll-over protection structure, providing the exhilaration of an open-topped race car with the safety of a coupe.

Wheel-mounted controls for Nissan BladeGlider's systems feed into an advanced display showing speed, state of battery charge, regeneration mode and torque map. Flanking the central display are two screens, with the images of rear-view cameras mounted just behind the front wheels. An alternative to door-mounted mirrors, this dual screen design improves the aerodynamic efficiency of Nissan BladeGlider. The driver sits in arrowhead formation slightly in front of two passengers, who enjoy extended legroom. The view for all occupants is panoramic thanks to the seamless cockpit windscreen.

Power is 100 percent electric, with exceptional powertrain performance delivered by Nissan's technical partner for the Nissan BladeGlider project, UK-based Williams Advanced Engineering. Maximum speed of the demonstration models is in excess of 190km/h*, with 0-100km/h taking less than five seconds*. The rear wheels' drive is provided by two 130kW electric motors – one for each wheel.

The system features torque vectoring, controlling the torque delivered to the driven wheels, improving the handling even further. With torque vectoring, if the car starts to understeer, it automatically sends more torque to the outside wheel to restore the handling balance.

Designed to add to the driving experience rather than govern it, the torque vectoring system has three settings: off, agile and drift mode.

Power is supplied by a high performance, five module lithium-ion 220kW battery. Bespoke cooling systems have been developed for both the battery and the motors.

The interior of the Nissan BladeGlider reflects the vehicles' sporting intentions, with four point safety harnesses for each occupant. The seats offer exceptional support to sides and legs of the driver and passengers. The seats are trimmed in a highly tactile blend of fabric and epoxy resin coating, resulting in a tough and grippy material that has the effect of comfortably securing occupants in place.

Two color trims – Cyber Green and Stealth Orange – are used for the upper portions of the seat back and framed with a silver reflective material to create an eye-catching, sporty look. The base of the seats is in black, patterned material, with a band of green and orange trim framing the cushion.

Two Nissan BladeGliders will be presented in Rio de Janeiro in August. One will be on static display in Rio while the second will be offering dynamic rides to media and VIPs.

Nissan BladeGlider key statistics

Top speed

>190km/h (115mph)*

Acceleration 0-100km/h (62mph)

< 5 seconds*

Power

200kW (268 hp)

Torque

707Nm

Weight

1300kg

Length

4300mm

Width

1850mm

Height

1300mm

Wheelbase

2800mm

*Figures recorded by Williams Advanced Engineering

Autocar has a good take, with some more details.

Tease...

Dramatic Nissan BladeGlider concept returns

Innovative electric sports car has now been engineered as a fully working prototype with the help of Williams Advanced Engineering

...Nissan marketing boss Roel de Vries told Autocar that there were no production plans for the concept at present, and the firm instead would be using it to look at the future design, engineering, packaging and driving performance of electric sports cars. He also said that the BladeGlider has always been in development within Nissan, and that it is already close to production in its current form, even if there are no plans for now. a sports car is understood to be part of these plans...

...Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn said the company “believes that enthusiasts should look forward to a zero-emission future, and the BladeGlider is the perfect demonstration of that”. He added: “It’s the electric vehicle for car lovers.”...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/concept-cars/dramatic-nissan-bladeglider-concept-returns

I was ready when Nissan announced it three years ago...

Nissan electric sports car could arrive by 2020

An electric sports car from Nissan has been described as feasible by the turn of the decade; brand's BladeGlider concept aims to change perception of EVs

A Nissan electric sports car could be feasible by the turn of the decade, according to Gareth Dunsmore, director of electric vehicles for Nissan Europe.

Speaking at the dynamic launch of the Nissan BladeGlider electric concept car, Dunsmore said that while it would be possible to produce an electric sports car now, the market has to be ready for it – and while it isn’t yet, by 2020 the demand for electric vehicles will be much higher...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nissan-electric-sports-car-could-arrive-2020

edatoakrun (page 2)

My own suggested 2017 MY intro target specs would be:

~2,000 Lbs. If Nissan can keep it light (while still meeting fed crash test standards) the handling and acceleration will not disappoint.

~6 m/kWh @ 60 mph, with ~25 kWh available, providing ~150 mile highway range.

~$40,000 base price.

Looks like the BladeGlider will be at the Geneva Show. New Nissan You Tube clip showing Margo Robbie driving around Monaco... If they build and sell this thing for 40k, I'd buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFA0qbBIHJ8

jhm614 said:
Looks like the BladeGlider will be at the Geneva Show. New Nissan You Tube clip showing Margo Robbie driving around Monaco... If they build and sell this thing for 40k, I'd buy one.

I had thought Nissan completely killed the BladeGlider years ago. Interesting to see them suddenly showing it off again. I would take a good hard look at this, although I couldn't justify a 3-seater at this point in my life. Maybe - just maybe - Nissan will put a little more excitement into the Leaf 2.0.

Notice that an (extremely unlikely as soon as ~2020, IMO) 220 kWh pack is claimed at ~10 seconds into the video:

jhm614 said:

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe Nissan just wants to make endless prototypes. That's so much easier than trying to sell cars.
Nah, that's more of a VW move, I think. Remember, the Leaf is still the best selling EV worldwide...

LeftieBiker said:
"There are only two of these"

Heh. I didn't mean endless prototypes of the same car.

I know, I just found it amusing. But how many "endless prototypes" has Nissan really made? This isn't a new one, just an old one brought back into the spotlight. Why? I don't know. Maybe they resolved their lawsuit and intend to build something? Or maybe they just want to remind us that they still build EVs, even though they are quickly losing market share.

Back