Canadian made EVSE - EVDuty - anyone own one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wmcbrine said:
jjeff said:
Many higher amperage EVSEs for sale in the US seem to follow Teslas lead and use the 14-50 plug, I've never seen another EVSE use the 6-50 plug the EVduty uses
Actually the 6-50 is very common on EVSEs -- from the old Blink, to the EVSE with at least five names, to the ChargePoint Home, to the Siemens VersiCharge, to the GE WattStation, to Aerovironment, to Leviton... I think it's actually the most common EVSE plug type, at least by by the number of models of that support it. It's also an option for some Clipper Creek models, but of course you can get 14-50's there, too; and 14-50 is standard for JuiceBox, typical for OpenEVSE, etc.
I stand corrected, I just checked Amazon and they do have quite a few EVSEs still using the 6-50 plug. When you think of it the 6-xx standard makes the most sense for EVSE as it doesn't have a neutral and EVSE don't use the neutral. What I personally don't like about the 6-50 is it will only plug into a 6-50 outlet, a 14-50 plug OTH(with the neutral pin missing) will plug into not only a 14-50 outlet but also a 6-50 outlet, so it's dual purpose. Your also more likely to run into a 14-50 outlet than 6-50 as 14-50s are used in most campgrounds(why I believe Tesla might use it) and for modern ranges, it looks like the 6-50 outlet is mostly used for welders.

jjeff said:
a 14-50 plug OTH(with the neutral pin missing) will plug into not only a 14-50 outlet but also a 6-50 outlet
Eh, no, it won't -- the gap between blades is wider on a 14-50. However, I think a neutral-less 14-50 plug would also fit a 14-30 or 14-60 receptacle, FWIW.

wmcbrine said:
jjeff said:
a 14-50 plug OTH(with the neutral pin missing) will plug into not only a 14-50 outlet but also a 6-50 outlet
Eh, no, it won't -- the gap between blades is wider on a 14-50. However, I think a neutral-less 14-50 plug would also fit a 14-30 or 14-60 receptacle, FWIW.
You are too quick wmcbrine, again your are correct and I was just coming back to MNL to post my correction, As you said a neutral-less 14-50 plug will indeed work in not only a 14-50 outlet but also a 14-30 and 14-60 outlet. As you said the 14-50 is spaced wider than the 6-50 so no compatibility there and a 6-50 plug(as used on the Canadian EVSE and others) will only plug into a 6-50 outlet due to pin sizes and orientation.
As the OP said the whole thing is quite confusing, I have probably a dozen different home made plugs and converters in the back of my Leaf and still wouldn't be able to plug into all the different 240v outlets available in N. America.

Posting back here as the PM I sent to jjeff is still stuck in the Outbox and I don't know what magical incantation I need to speak to get it unstuck :lol:

I received the Zencar 32A EVSE I ordered, but I can't figure out how to change the amperage setting. I don't have a 14-50 receptacle yet, but I wanted to try it out with 120V charging. Anyways, I plugged it in and the unit has power, yet shaking it (I presume the J1772 handle) seems to have no effect - still stuck at 32A.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing you don't shake the plastic box that contains all the electronics, that would be bizarre...

For reference, the unit has a 14-50 plug on it. I made up a 14-50R to TT-30p adapter cable and also have a standard TT-30R to 5-15p adapter (Camco brand).

This is how the 14-50P is wired on the EVSE:

14-50_hook_up.png

I've then built the adapter cable as follows:

Code:
TT30P               14-50R

White (L)            L1
Black (N)            L2
Green (GRND)         GRND

The unit powers up, so I presume everything is OK with the cabling...

Never mind :D

Just figured it out, after reading this user manual for a similar product:

http://www.schnellladen.ch/Content/Images/uploaded/produkte/K.H.O.N.S/short_manual.pdf

Which gave me the confidence to shake the plastic box itself and, low and behold, the unit cycled through to 12A setting. Charging the Leaf right now...

Yes your PM will stay stuck in your Outbox until the receiver has opened it, which I did now so it should now be in your sent folder :)
Yes as you found out you actually shake the EVSE box, not violently but firmly. To change maximum output amperage:
Plug EVSE into wall
Gently shake EVSE if you want to change maximum output amperage from what it was the last time you used it
Once the display shows the amperage you want
Plug J1772 connector into car and observe current charge rate(smaller number below maximum output number)
You should be good to go.

Output amperage will NOT change if J1772 connector is plugged into car and you can only adjust output for 1 minute after plugging EVSE in.

Your adapter cable looks fine, ground to ground, neutral(white) of TT30 to one of the hots of the 14-50 and black(hot) of the TT30 to the other hot of the 14-50, the neutral(white) center of the 14-50 is not used for EVSE use.

Awesome, thanks again Jeff

I charged up the car last night with no issues. I like the LCD display on it, with the simple to understand voltage, amperage, and kw rates - nice!

^^^ don't forget the little outside temperature display....of course it does little good to me as it's only in the world standard of C, which being from the US I know little of, should be fine for a Canadian though ;)

Personalty I would stick to a unit that is fully J1772 compliant All of the Chinese units that I have seen skip the built in GFCI. Clipper Creek. Juice Box, and OpenEVSE among other units are fully compliant.

OpenEVSE was like the Chinese units with no GFCI initially and it worked fine but now it not only has GFCI but it tests the whole GFCI chain.

Back