Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tysoncooper said:
medtech1 said:
Alozzy: before I purchased my car from someone local in the vancouver area, I called NISSAN, and they said all the Canadian warranty is as valid as the US warranty. Once I purchased, I transferred the car into my name with Nissan.

My service dealer here in Surrey(Jonker), sees my car on his system, and is honouring any recalls (I think there is one outstanding now), etc as well.

I too was told that the warranty follows the VIN, regardless of where it is in N. America. I just had to create a new Owners account, and register the VIN with that for the telematics, but the warranty was ok as is.

So... my iOS app refused to connect to the TCU today at all... finally got annoyed and tried a fix that I've seen in other threads... pulled the negative cable off the battery, left it a few minutes and then reconnected. Everything started working again after that. If that is in fact a regular necessity, I won't be using the app much :( I also had to reset all my unit preferences .... ie. celsius, kph, 24h clock etc.

It has been reported as a problem in the other thread when the 12v battery voltage drops too low. Check the cells on the 12v battery, and top them off with distilled water. If the problem continues, you may need to replace the 12v battery.

Also, you don't actually connect to the TCU in the car, you connect to the Nissan servers. The TCU facilitates communication between the car and Nissan. Connection issues with the app are common, and are usually a result of internet connection issues with the phone. Sometimes, though, it is an issue with reaching the Nissan servers.

I believe you can also just pull fuse F34 located in the fuse box next to the 12v battery. From what I read it just pulls power from the TCU to reset it. Hopefully will save you from losing your other settings. I haven't had to do this myself though.

Chiv

tysoncooper said:
Ok, so quick update. I had my TCU replacement done in Bellingham on Friday.
IT'S WORKING!!!

Hey tysoncooper -- is it still working and stable? Thanks.

stonymtnleaf said:
The problem is my local dealer simply recoils from anything to do with a US spec Leaf (claims the part numbers are different and not available on a Cdn parts system, yeah sure, farfetched I know ...) and is not prepared to do anything re: the TCU chngeover.

Any suggestion of how or where to locate a copy of the PC499 document online? That would be the Part 2 that explains the technical side of how to do the upgrade; I have read the Part 1 which addresses the business side of the TCU upgrade. I would be interested to see if there is a need to insert the VIN locally into the TCU, perhaps through an undisclosed key combination that activates hidden code somewhere. I have given NissanConnect the old/new TCU numbers and sim IDs as part of my service request already.

I did talk by phone to one US dealer's service manager who said they have done a few upgrades and in the end someone (their service tech presumably) calls Nissan Connect to wipe the old TCU info out and insert the new TCU/VIN combination into the system. Perhaps the PC499 is more specific on who to talk to and what info to provide.

Cheers, Jim

Hey Jim, did you have any luck with getting your TCU working? or getting your hands on the PC499 documentation?

Thanks

I will attempt to get this information from the TCU engineer I have been in communication with. Will post when I have it.

medtech1 said:
stonymtnleaf said:
The problem is my local dealer simply recoils from anything to do with a US spec Leaf (claims the part numbers are different and not available on a Cdn parts system, yeah sure, farfetched I know ...) and is not prepared to do anything re: the TCU chngeover.

Any suggestion of how or where to locate a copy of the PC499 document online? That would be the Part 2 that explains the technical side of how to do the upgrade; I have read the Part 1 which addresses the business side of the TCU upgrade. I would be interested to see if there is a need to insert the VIN locally into the TCU, perhaps through an undisclosed key combination that activates hidden code somewhere. I have given NissanConnect the old/new TCU numbers and sim IDs as part of my service request already.

I did talk by phone to one US dealer's service manager who said they have done a few upgrades and in the end someone (their service tech presumably) calls Nissan Connect to wipe the old TCU info out and insert the new TCU/VIN combination into the system. Perhaps the PC499 is more specific on who to talk to and what info to provide.

Cheers, Jim

Hey Jim, did you have any luck with getting your TCU working? or getting your hands on the PC499 documentation?

Thanks

No luck as yet. One positive development though, today I was able to get into the NissanConnect Owner Portal and accept the conditions and consent buttons so it appears my VIN and/or vehicle is now active there.

However, out in the car, I tried to get CarWings to connect but no success. The screen seemed to be saying "re-enter your Nissan PIN and Password" but I have done that to no apparent effect. Back home, NissanConnect now says my "EV PIN and VIN do not match" so it looks like the TCU was talking to NissanConnect but not sending the appropriate handshake stuff. Either there is still something astray at Nissan's end or maybe I do have to insert my VIN into the new TCU (as above).

Other forums seem to say that it may take 48-72 hours or so for the new 3G data to filter through NissanConnect and get reliable comms established. Will see what happens.

stonymtnleaf said:
No luck as yet. One positive development though, today I was able to get into the NissanConnect Owner Portal and accept the conditions and consent buttons so it appears my VIN and/or vehicle is now active there.

However, out in the car, I tried to get CarWings to connect but no success. The screen seemed to be saying "re-enter your Nissan PIN and Password" but I have done that to no apparent effect. Back home, NissanConnect now says my "EV PIN and VIN do not match" so it looks like the TCU was talking to NissanConnect but not sending the appropriate handshake stuff. Either there is still something astray at Nissan's end or maybe I do have to insert my VIN into the new TCU (as above).

Other forums seem to say that it may take 48-72 hours or so for the new 3G data to filter through NissanConnect and get reliable comms established. Will see what happens.

Ah ok.. Are you on the Canadian NissanConnect or US one?

I may follow you in your footsteps.

Update: I purchased one on Ebay... $248 includes shipping/import fees/taxes to my door in Surrey. I already had the 2G unit out on the weekend to check it, and will be able to switch it quickly. I'll snap pictures of the 3G TCU, since I think there's an IMEI number on it etc, that they may need?

medtech1 said:
stonymtnleaf said:

Other forums seem to say that it may take 48-72 hours or so for the new 3G data to filter through NissanConnect and get reliable comms established. Will see what happens.[/quote

Ah ok.. Are you on the Canadian NissanConnect or US one?

I may follow you in your footsteps.

Update: I purchased one on Ebay... $248 includes shipping/import fees/taxes to my door in Surrey. I already had the 2G unit out on the weekend to check it, and will be able to switch it quickly. I'll snap pictures of the 3G TCU, since I think there's an IMEI number on it etc, that they may need?
I am using the US Nissanconnect as that is where the car was connecting OK as late as Jan 7th.

Would that be $248 US$ or CDN$? If the latter, a good deal!

As you have seen, the physical changeover is pretty straightforward. I passed on the "Unit ID", the "TCU ID" and the "SIM ID" to Nissan in hopes of getting things to connect. These items were all filled in with the new info when I powered on the new TCU. The VIN field is still starred out though and I was hoping it would echoed back from Nissan.

I did have a conversation late Friday with a polite and helpful Nissan rep but not much tech help. The suggested solution was to go out and cycle the car on and off four times and then try to connect. Didn't work.

I am now thinking that there must be some way of filling the VIN info at my end to satisfy the connection. I will try on a couple of the Winnipeg Nissan dealers to see if they can help with this.

Stonymtnleaf:

It may be possible for Canadian Nissan dealers to help. After asking my Nissan dealer a month or so ago about them helping me with the campaign, I rec'd an email late last week saying they may be able to do theTCU upgrade, but the part was not yet available. After all we went though with the work around (and discussions on the facebook TCU upgrade page) receiving this word from a local dealer was not something i expected (but was good news if it works out).

I will touch bases with them this week to confirm more specifics.

Since I ordered it already from Ebay, I'll see if they can help with the rest of it (once its received).

Well, another week has gone by. Went back to the same Nissan dealer in Wpg to ask about getting a copy of the PC499 document to see if it had any secrets about installing a new 3G TCU. Ended up talking to the same service manger as before. Got the same "it's a US spec Leaf, can't do a thing" explanation as before. He said that Cdn dealers simply don't have access to the PC499 paperwork. Could make a degree of sense as the 2G telecom service is still working in the GWN (per other reports) and so Nissan Canada probably sees no need to start down the 3G upgrade path here as yet.

Then I got a call back from Nissan USA to talk about my "expedited" service case. They were going to set me up with a dealer in Grand Forks (only 180 miles away) but the dealer there said go back to the original dealer in Minneapolis (600 miles away). Not too practical for an early Leaf.

Then I had a long conversation with a helpful NissanConnect USA lady who seemed quite knowledgeable. She wiped my vehicle from NissanConnect and then rebuilt the account with the same PIN but a new password while I was sitting in the car trying to connect No success. Then she asked if the little car icon on the CarWings page (upper right beside the time of day clock) was alive. Nope, it was greyed out. She said that indicates the TCU is not active. Final recommendation: go to a dealer to have the TCU "turned on".

A bit of RTFM later, I see that page 5-4 of the Nav system manual says a greyed out icon occurs "When the signal reception is bad." Since my cell phone shows 5 bars at the same time (implying good cell tower signal strength), I suppose this could beinterpreted as "TCU is off so reception is bad/nonexistant".

Back on the phone to the service manger (at the original dealer in Minneapolis) to see what can be done. His explanation was that the final step of the 3G upgrade is to "wake up the TCU" by connecting a Nissan supplied computer to the car and sending appropriate commands to the TCU. This apparently is not a user key-stroke in the car process. What I should have asked (but didn't) is if this is to the OBCD port or some other connection to the car. It would be nice if one of the generic OBCD readers would do the job but not clear at this time.

Will try some of the other Wpg dealers next week to see if one of them has the right magic Nissan computer on hand to "wake up" my TCU.

The saga continues ...

It is Campaign Bulletin PC449 / PC450 (not PC 499). A partial copy of it is located here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108978910/2G%20Telematics%20Hardware%20Replacement.pdf
The part with the installation instructions was not included (probably not made available to the poster).

Maybe you could get the original dealer to email you a copy of the complete bulletin for the local dealer to use to activate the TCU.

Hopefully the TCU I ordered will come in this week and after the install I'll book an appt with my lower mainland Nissan dealer to see if they can do the remainder of the install. I'll update after that.

Just a follow on, it's now been just over 2 weeks since I imported my Leaf, having had the TCU upgrade done in Bellingham pre-import.... and the Nissan Connect system is still working as expected... so looks like as long as you can get it done somehow, you'll be fine.

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2013 SV (US import) I am trying to get my carwings to work. So far i have signed up on the canadian site but the vin is invalid.
After reading about the 2g issues. Can anyone tell me what i need to do to get it working? Do i have to make US account? thanks in advnaced

Based on the experience of a few pioneers like tysoncooper who did the 3G TCU upgrade (required, as Nissan says the 2G original TCU will NOT work in Canada), Carwings seems to be working although many people are frustrated by intermittent operation, having to reset their Carwings connection (via Nav system), 12V low battery flakiness, etc (see here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573)

Assuming your 12V battery is in good condition, you signup for a US account, you get the 3G TCU upgrade done by a dealership with experience, and you cross all your fingers and toes - it should work. At least, it should be about as reliable as Carwings was in the past ;)

I'm still holding out to see if Canadian dealerships will start to offer the TCU upgrade co-pay option, as I can't really spare the time to take a day off work to get the TCU upgrade done at a US dealership. Maybe during Spring Break, haven't decided yet...

Back