Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JejuSoul said:
The I oniq BEV has a normal 12V battery at the front.

zwf9di.jpg

It is the I oniq Hybrid that has the 12V battery hidden at the back.

Good point. You're right. I can't find it now, but I think I read somewhere that they're considering going with it in the next gen Ioniq BEV. I like the idea of it, given the problems with Leaf 12vs. Nice pic too. Thanks.

evnow said:
The big question is - is the Ioniq any better than Ford Focus EV. No, not in terms of technology - but in terms of selling intent.

FFE was also "available for ordering" from all states (IIRC). But never reached above 2k per year in sales ! In 2016 sold less than 1k !!

FFE was always special order only here, but now my local Ford dealer tells me they're going to stock some, and they've completed the certification process for EVs. Ioniq is due here in April, I think. Hope they follow suit.

Still extremely rare here to see any EV mentioned in local TV, radio, or newspaper advertising. It's like the dealers don't care for them or something.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
FFE was always special order only here, but now my local Ford dealer tells me they're going to stock some, and they've completed the certification process for EVs. Ioniq is due here in April, I think. Hope they follow suit.

Still extremely rare here to see any EV mentioned in local TV, radio, or newspaper advertising. It's like the dealers don't care for them or something.
One problem with special order is that - You have to go to a dealer, hassle him to order, wait for a couple of months to show up. You can't see the car before hand. Since dealer has no interest in selling, you pay MSRP. So you might end up paying more than a competing car with a higher MSRP !

Some people were praising Hyundai on the pricing - which is all well and good - but the intent is to sell just a few, they can even give the cars away and not lose too much money.

Absolutely. I would never special order. If local dealers aren't invested enough to be certified and employ EV techs, it's not worth the risk. A FFE wouldn't be my first choice, but if I can get them close to giving it away to me, I might try one.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
evnow said:

Here in the Los Angeles market Chevy is advertising the heck out of the Bolt on the radio. Funny listening to a certain right wing radio host who has shat all over EVs for years doing commercials for the Bolt now.

GGC has the most comprehensive report of the press event:

Driving Hyundai’s electrified Ioniq line-up; cost-effective efficiency and dynamics
21 February 2017
Hyundai has begun the US roll-out of its Ioniq line-up of electrified vehicles: hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery-electric. (Earlier post.) The Ioniq Hybrid offers up to the highest fuel economy in the US (up to 58 mpg / 4.05 l/100 km) for a non-plug-in vehicle and the Ioniq Electric is the industry’s most efficient EV (136 mpge / 25 kWh/100 miles).

In addition to efficiency and value, a key design goal for the Hyundai team was driveability: specifically, a fun-to-drive, “segment-appropriate” driving experience. During the media launch last week in Santa Barbara, California, Hyundai provided production versions of the hybrid and battery-electric vehicle, and a pre-production version of the plug-in hybrid. Based on relatively short drives in all three variants, we conclude that Hyundai nailed its goals. In addition to the fuel efficiency of the powertrains (described in this earlier post), the Ioniqs are quiet, comfortable, and appropriately dynamic—although not high-performance, all models are a pleasure to drive...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/02/20170221-ioniq.html

CT's conclusion reflects my own, that until LEAF gen 2 comes out, the Ioniq is probably the best BEV option available, unless you are a special needs driver...

...My overall impression of the Ioniq is that it’s a solid car at a great price, both the Hybrid and the Electric, and it very well could be the sleeper that gets awakened once people realize they can get a quality compact car that also happens to be an excellent green vehicle, but which doesn’t look like one. Honestly, after a day behind the wheel of the Ioniq, I was quite impressed, but when I heard the pricing for the 2017 Hybrid, I was like, “Seriously? Take my money.” The pricing on the Electric is also impressive, and might be a serious contender for those considering the Bolt or the LEAF, but for my needs, a hybrid that gets 58 mpg for just a bit more than 20 grand is well worth considering.

If you absolutely need a longer electric range, or have more money to spend to get a luxury interior, or all the bells and whistles, or you’re a driver’s driver who wants their “green” car to be on the cutting edge, then by all means, I would suggest shopping around a lot more (or perhaps you’re already on the waiting list for the Model 3). But if you want a great small car with excellent mileage, then I recommend checking out one of the 2017 Ioniq models...
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/22/2017-hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-electric-first-drive-impression/

Outstanding efficiency is really what sets the Ioniq apart from its leading competitors, IMO:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38431&id=38187&id=38428&id=38549

Stopped at my local Hyundai dealer and turns out they will be stocking them. The ones they've ordered so far are at sea and should be here in a couple weeks. They also told me there may be good lease deals right off the bat and conquest cash. Finally some EV variety to choose from.

It will be interesting to see how widely available these will really be. I expect we'll see them in CA first, then CARB states, then maybe pseudo-CARB states like WA, then "maybe" the rest, Certainly here in eastern WA, my best bet is 300 mi away in Portland, OR. I'm guessing that my Tesla model 3 will be ready around the same time. Choices choices. This from someone who definitel needs a bigger garage instead of another vehicle.

DesertSprings said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
evnow said:

Here in the Los Angeles market Chevy is advertising the heck out of the Bolt on the radio. Funny listening to a certain right wing radio host who has shat all over EVs for years doing commercials for the Bolt now.

That's not my quote. You are attributing to the wrong poster ...

Excellent discussion of the Ioniq, with comparisons to other BEVs and PHEVs at the thread below:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/54013/

The images of the trim and option packages at the bottom of the first page makes clear just how well-equipped the base BEV is, for only ~$30k, before incentives.

edatoakrun said:
Excellent discussion of the Ioniq, with comparisons to other BEVs and PHEVs at the thread below:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/54013/

The images of the trim and option packages at the bottom of the first page makes clear just how well-equipped the base BEV is, for only ~$30k, before incentives.
Nice pictures
I like how they beat the Leafs cargo capacity (23.6 cubic feet w/ rear seats up and 30 w/ seats down) , Ioniq 23.8 cubic feet w/seats up ( no detail w/ seats down).
Also total interior volume - Leaf 116 cu ft , Ioniq 120 cu ft.
More room for tools and my 8' ladder.
Wonder if those rear seats sit flat and the passenger seat folds flat to the rear as well?

I really hope that the base model has parking sensors and a heated steering wheel, because Hyundai seems to have jumped on the awful 'Leather Is Mandatory' bandwagon for the higher trims.

^^^
ICCB :? just when EVSE was beginning to be second nature Hyundai changes it to ICCB( An integrated In-Cable Control Box).....
No mention of any heated steering wheel on the comparison chart, leather steering wheel even on base(good thing) forced to get leather on anything except the base(not so good as like you I don't care for leather seating).
Also no mention of rear seat heaters, although I'd have to assume at least the top trim has them. Heated steering wheel and rear seats was a major selling point for my new '13S......probably why Nissan dropped rear seat heat on later base models......got to give people a reason to purchase the higher(more profitable ;) ) trim models!

jjeff said:
^^^
ICCB :? just when EVSE was beginning to be second nature Hyundai changes it to ICCB( An integrated In-Cable Control Box).....

Sounds like one more step to calling them 'chargers'. Gasp!

jjeff said:
^^^
No mention of any heated steering wheel on the comparison chart, leather steering wheel even on base(good thing) forced to get leather on anything except the base(not so good as like you I don't care for leather seating).
Also no mention of rear seat heaters, although I'd have to assume at least the top trim has them. Heated steering wheel and rear seats was a major selling point for my new '13S......probably why Nissan dropped rear seat heat on later base models......got to give people a reason to purchase the higher(more profitable ;) ) trim models!

We've seen photos of the Ioniq controls that show both wheel heating and parking sensor buttons, so hopefully the list is just incomplete. As for the "ICCB" I guess we're just one step closer to calling them "charging cables."

If performance is your primary concern, then the VW probably is better. If comfort and features are, along with efficiency and thus range in a variety of conditions, it looks like the Ioniq will be the car to beat. I'd like both, of course, but I rarely drive fast, and the heated steering wheel is vital for me.

LeftieBiker said:
If performance is your primary concern, then the VW probably is better. If comfort and features are, along with efficiency and thus range in a variety of conditions, it looks like the Ioniq will be the car to beat. I'd like both, of course, but I rarely drive fast, and the heated steering wheel is vital for me.
+1
While my Leaf was the first vehicle I owned that had a heated steering wheel, it WON'T be my last. I could almost live without heated seats(although I do like them at times) but my heated steering wheel basically never gets turned off in the winter(6+ months around here :( ). Of course that doesn't mean it never gets turned off in the winter.........as my car seems to have a bug where every 25???(WAG) restarts seems to result in the steering wheel heater getting turned off. Only takes me a matter of seconds to feel it's not on and power it back up but it's just a slight annoyance.
I've driven VWs and they tend to be more performance minded cars, at my stage in life I'm looking for more comfort/room than performance. Of course I'll still probably give any EV a sit but I have far more confidence the Ioniq would better fit my needs. I also plan on giving the Kia Nero a sit, I'll try anything. Well maybe not the Volvo X90?? PHEV as even if it's a decent car I'm not interested in spending that amount of money on a vehicle, just not going to happen. I've owned several Volvos in the past(all used, a 122, 145 and 245) and they were well made roomy safe vehicles, just never see me purchasing a new Volvo.

Back