Leaf EVSE modified

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wongfeihong187

Hello my Leaf lease is going to be up in May. I had the Leaf OEM EVSE charger cable modified to L2 (240v). I really don't want to give this modified cable back to Nissan. So my question is, will the modified EVSE work with GM's Bolt or Nissan's 2018 redesigned Leaf? Thank you for taking the time to read this question.

Sure will but note if you have one of the old upgrades(I believe '12 and older) it may have issues overcharging(getting hot) on a vehicle with a charger >20a. If this is the case then EVSEupgrade will upgrade your old EVSE for a reduced fee(I believe ~$150) but again this is only for pre '13 Leaf EVSEs upgraded before the '13's came out.
If you keep your old EVSE I guess you could just try and find a cheap used Nisssan EVSE to return with your Leaf, eBay, CL, etc.

thanks, i have a '14 leaf. I emailed evseupgrade and Mark who replied said no problem with using my modified evse for the new bolt and leaf. I just need to find a cheap oem evse to return in may :).

The very first version of EVSE Upgrade had a fixed pilot signal corresponding to 12 amperes. The next version had a pilot signal corresponding to 16 amperes (or perhaps 20 amperes), but 2011/2012 LEAFs would only draw 12 amperes when on 120 volts so this was not an issue for those cars. If this version was used to charge a later model LEAF or another EV, the onboard charger could potentially draw more than 12 amperes when charging at 120 volts and overload the circuit. The EVSE would not overheat and would not be damaged, but the receptacle circuit could be overloaded and overheat if the breaker failed to trip. The later versions of EVSE Upgrade have separate pilot signals for 120 volts and 208/240 volts to eliminate the possibility of overloading 120-volt circuits. The pilot signals are also adjustable on these later versions (with separate settings for 120 and 240 volts) so that charging current can be limited to as low as 6 amperes if the branch circuit needs to be shared with other loads. Since your delivery date is May 2014, you most likely have one of the later versions with separate pilot signals so there would be no issue to use it with other EVs. Look at the ratings sticker on the back of the unit to see what the ratings are. I hope you can find an inexpensive unit to turn in with your car so you can keep the upgrade.

Your reply came while I was typing, but I will go ahead and post this reply as information for others.

Gerry

Had a quick look at your older posts, looks like you live in San Diego...

This guy is selling a Nissan OEM EVSE on Craigslist:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/6016484569.html

Not exactly in your neighborhood, but shipping charges shouldn't be much.

Otherwise, there are several listings on EBay too:

https://goo.gl/50jO9k

https://goo.gl/3EteCE

GerryAZ said:
The next version had a pilot signal corresponding to 16 amperes (or perhaps 20 amperes), but 2011/2012 LEAFs would only draw 12 amperes when on 120 volts so this was not an issue for those cars. If this version was used to charge a later model LEAF or another EV, the onboard charger could potentially draw more than 12 amperes when charging at 120 volts and overload the circuit. The EVSE would not overheat and would not be damaged, but the receptacle circuit could be overloaded and overheat if the breaker failed to trip.
Yes I must have one of those, my '12 EVSEupgrade'd EVSE on my '13 draws 20a on both 240v and 120v. Note I don't mind this as it's actually more like 19a which I can get by for short term charging on a 20a dedicated outlet with only moderate heating of the breakers.
I kind of freaked out the first time I plugged this EVSE into a 120v outlet on an extension cord for testing. Luckily I had an analog ammeter(set to 20a) already hooked up and when I saw the meter basically peg I immediately disconnected the EVSE from car. Again it works but you have to know what your in for plugging it into a EV with a larger charger than a '12 Leaf.

Back