DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I blow my upgraded horn I Love it. It's so nice and loud and makes the cars in front of me move quickly.

In July they will be in my LEAF 4 years.

PIAA 85110 115db 400HZ + 500HZ Sports Horn https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067BWBI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_B9MTyb6WVA3SJ

But I do want to get some Truck horns with a compressor. Sometimes you just need some Truck horns.

Does it say how many decibels?

The ones I installed are 115db and 400HZ & 500HZ

So they play two different tunes at different frequencies at the same time. Sounds like a European horn.

garsh said:
I bought the Wolo (320-2T) Maxi Sound (under $20). They sound great, and are pretty loud. I think it sounds a bit louder than the stock horn in my Honda Odyssey, which has a pretty loud horn.
[/img][/url]

I want one of these. I may have to add this to my summer to do list:

https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Trumpet-Compressor-Complete/dp/B016LF7GZE/ref=lp_13893223011_1_5?srs=13893223011&ie=UTF8&qid=1488388712&sr=8-5&th=1

Lasareath said:

https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Trumpet-Compressor-Complete/dp/B016LF7GZE/ref=lp_13893223011_1_5?srs=13893223011&ie=UTF8&qid=1488388712&sr=8-5&th=1

Holy Crap! I think you will scare yourself every time you use it!!! I wonder how many watts this uses.

It'll be a secondary extra horn just for special occasions. I'll mount a button inside the center coin holder (where the Parking brake is in the 2011)

powersurge said:
Lasareath said:

Holy Crap! I think you will scare yourself every time you use it!!! I wonder how many watts this uses.

When you get around to the truck horns, please post how you did it! I'm ordering the parts to upgrade my normal horn, but I really want a truck/train horn as an additional horn.

Lasareath said:
It'll be a secondary extra horn just for special occasions. I'll mount a button inside the center coin holder (where the Parking brake is in the 2011)

powersurge said:
Lasareath said:

Will do. As soon as it gets warmer out. I want to put everything under the hood. Don't really want half in the trunk. So have to figure out if there is room for the compressor and tank up front. Plus the horns.

bpodbielski said:
When you get around to the truck horns, please post how you did it! I'm ordering the parts to upgrade my normal horn, but I really want a truck/train horn as an additional horn.

Lasareath said:

powersurge said:

Just bought a "Truck Horn" made in Italy, only $119, gonna get to it in a week.

https://instagram.com/p/BSS6L1CgrdT/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Electric.Sal/permalink/1402841076454710/

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

bpodbielski said:

Lasareath said:

powersurge said:

I received the Horn today and the Push button. I am not sure if the Blue glowing light will work on the push button

There are 6 wires coming out of the push button.

Since this Horn will be a secondary horn it won't go through the existing horn wiring and will have its own power and switching loop.

I'm most likely going to connect this horn directly to the 12V battery. If I do that I think the Blue LED on the push button will stay on 24 hours a day.

Right?

I really don't want it to draw power 24/7/365, Maybe I need to install a Kill Switch as well?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Sal

I just picked up my 2017 LEAF SV a couple of weeks ago ... first thing I did was research how to replace the "meep meep" with something a little more suited to highway travel. As others have posted about the 2015+ models, getting at it from the bottom of the car was easy and straightforward. Here's some pics I took of the "El Grande" install.

New "Get outta my way" horns next to the OEM "meep meep".
1.jpg

Only takes 5 bolts and a 10mm socket to get access from the bottom of the car. Jack from one side and put a jack stand under for safety.
2.jpg

What the stock setup looks like. One 12mm bolt to remove it from the support.
3.jpg

The two connections to the stock horn. The longer cable with the black connector is the ground wire that connects to the bracket. The shorter yellow connector goes to the pigtail male connection.
4.jpg

The new horn all bolted up to the stock bracket, horns angled down and a single ground connector attached to the brackets.
5.jpg

That was easy! Like others have said, the pigtail cable you need to create only really needs to be 8 inches long at the most. There's plenty of wire on the stock harness. The whole job took like 30 minutes, mostly because I read through this thread before attempting. Thanks for the help!

Checking in to say that this worked for me and it was an easy upgrade. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. This was one of the annoying parts of the leaf!

Great Job! What is that Blue tube?

I'm getting back in there soon because I am add another pair of Horns, some 155db Truck horns on a separate push-buttons.

COEV said:
I just picked up my 2017 LEAF SV a couple of weeks ago ... first thing I did was research how to replace the "meep meep" with something a little more suited to highway travel. As others have posted about the 2015+ models, getting at it from the bottom of the car was easy and straightforward. Here's some pics I took of the "El Grande" install.

New "Get outta my way" horns next to the OEM "meep meep".
1.jpg

That was easy! Like others have said, the pigtail cable you need to create only really needs to be 8 inches long at the most. There's plenty of wire on the stock harness. The whole job took like 30 minutes, mostly because I read through this thread before attempting. Thanks for the help!

Lasareath said:
Great Job! What is that Blue tube?

I'm getting back in there soon because I am add another pair of Horns, some 155db Truck horns on a separate push-buttons.

The blue tube is just some lock-tite that I put on the threads of the bolts. Trying to keep things from vibrating loose.

Thank you everyone for the info. I finally have my 2013SV horn upgraded! I tried going from the top, but the radiator is now blocked off. From the bottom was way easier. Didn't even need to remove the whole panel, just the front 6 bolts and the plastic shroud dropped far enough for me to reach inside with both arms.

I went with a pair of Hella Twin Horns since Amazon had a sale. Each horn is 6A, 113db.

The oem horn relay is a 15A relay, so it can handle the slightly higher 6A/horn additions as long as you update the horn fuse to 15A to match the relay amperage. The wiring itself though, looks like 16Gauge (eye balled it through the grill, so I might be wrong). Pretty wimpy. I will likely go back in and just update the wiring to the relay when I have time. For now the horns work, but they possibly could be louder with 12Gauge wires.

Overall happy happy!

Chiv.

Well I installed my new Truck Horns. Sounds great.

I have 35 photos and can't upload them here. I have them displayed on my Car's FaceBook Group.

If you don't have FB then let me know and I'll make lower res photos that'll upload here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Electric.Sal/permalink/1496149793790504/

I've tried sifting through this thread to see what exactly I need for my 2013 SL (installing FIAAM El Grande). I tried it using the instructions way back on the first page, but after removing the panel and coolant tank that I had instructions for the wrong model year -- so I put it back together and will try again this weekend using ramps at my cousin's house. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

• I need to use “quick connect” connectors instead of the ¼ inch M/F blades required on the 2011 and 2012.
• I need to go and buy wire and pigtail two separate connectors?

Back