Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking I may need to do Uber on the weekends this summer to get enough miles to get my warranty in. I have until October. I may force the wife to drive my car whenever her destination is in range as well. lol.

10 bars
48.12ah, 73% SOH, 52.59HX
28,600 miles.

I've owned the car 5 months, and I've only lost 0.5ah in that time. I'm hoping the summer temperatures in the 80s and 90s along with freeway driving will help me along, but with no QC access, and in the interest of playing fair, I don't intend on using any "advanced techniques." However trying to put as many miles on it as possible is an option. I average about 12-14k miles a year, typically. I've put just under 5,000 miles on the car.

Durandal said:
I'm thinking I may need to do Uber on the weekends this summer to get enough miles to get my warranty in. I have until October. I may force the wife to drive my car whenever her destination is in range as well. lol.

10 bars
28,600 miles.

I've owned the car 5 months, and I've only lost 0.5ah in that time. I'm hoping the summer temperatures in the 80s and 90s along with freeway driving will help me along, but with no QC access, and in the interest of playing fair, I don't intend on using any "advanced techniques." However trying to put as many miles on it as possible is an option. I average about 12-14k miles a year, typically. I've put just under 5,000 miles on the car.

Don't "shoot the messenger", but there's just no way you're going to get to 8 bars by October...even if you lived in Arizona.

Stanton said:
Durandal said:

10 bars
28,600 miles.

Don't "shoot the messenger", but there's just no way you're going to get to 8 bars by October...even if you lived in Arizona.

that would be wrong.

he could do it. not saying its likely but he could do it. he only needs to lose 3-5 ahr...

Durandal said:
10 bars
28,600 miles.

I had my 2012 for about 9 months in Texas (hot) when it dropped from 9 bars to 8 - I got a new replacement battery in Nov. of last year. Bought it in Late Jan 2016 with 25520 miles (Did not have LeafSpy at the time). The 8 bar drop happened at 29,720 miles in October at 42.6 AHrs. If you "assume" (you and I know what that means) that the new battery was typical 66.14 Ahrs, the four bar drop happened at about 5.9 AHr/bar rate for me. IF yours is similar, that would mean your battery is near dropping to the 9 bar level ~ 48.5 AHr. Caveat!! - I'm not so sure the "drop" is the same for each bar, so this could be off somewhat. There is a ton of information on this subject on this site - just don't remember the specifics.

So - based on my experience it certainly is possible since you drive more miles - and have the opportunity to expose the battery to more "difficult" conditions. I did a few QC's - probably 3 total. Mainly, I drove it on the freeway at high speeds, took it to shut-down several times and kept it charged to the max at all times (must have home level II charge system!). All this during the heat of the summer - which lasts 8 months here!

Good luck!

Correction may be in order for my last post - appears there is reported a larger "drop" (15% or almost 10 AHrs?) for the first bar. That would result in a smaller AHr delta required for the remaining bars dropped.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:
Durandal said:

10 bars
28,600 miles.

that would be wrong.

he could do it. not saying its likely but he could do it. he only needs to lose 3-5 ahr...

More like 3-7 ahr. I lost my 4th bar at 41.5.

Marktm said:
Correction may be in order for my last post - appears there is reported a larger "drop" (15% or almost 10 AHrs?) for the first bar. That would result in a smaller AHr delta required for the remaining bars dropped.

capacity bars 15% for 12th, 6¼% for the other 11 then you have a reserve.

Durandal said:

On my 2011, it seemed that it would be about 7500 miles and the next bar would drop. At some point I'll find the exact data and post it, but I eventually lost down to five remaining capacity bars at just under 60K miles. And it still seemed fairly linear for me, and worked out fairly close for 15K for the first bar, then 7500 miles per bar for the other six. It also seemed to be about 1 ah / month decrease, and I too drove about 1000 to 1200 miles / month. This was in Florida. I rarely saw less than six temperature bars, but I can't remember more than once ever seeing seven temperature bars, and never anything more than seven. It was occasionally down at five temperature bars.

I wouldn't worry about QC or anything else except the heat and the mileage. You will find too that you have to charge the car more and more often, keeping it at 100% charge, as the range diminishes, so that is supposed to also hasten the degradation. I don't know that freeway driving will matter either, as in my case I ended up driving slower than old ladies and it was still dropping at about the same rate.

So 15K miles in 6 months is really driving it, but definitely within the possibility. Especially if, as others have said, the 10th bar is about to drop. And then, it would be closer to 7K to 8K miles in 6 months.

15% for the first, 6.25% for the rest...

Marktm said:

peakay said:
Sorry if I am not as knowledgeable as some others on here, but I wanted to get your take. We have a 2012 Leaf SL and its in service date was Jan. 3, 2013. I'm trying to estimate how likely it is we'd qualify for a replacement battery before the warranty expires on Jan 3, 2018?

Here are our stats now on leafspy lite: AHr: 47.80, SOH 72%, 384.0V 29,733 miles, 4QCs, 2391 L1/L2s

Its at 10 bars now, been almost a year since we lost the 2nd -- how likely do you think i is we'll see 8 bars by 1/8/18? We put about 10k mile sa year on the car the last 2 years.

Opinion needed on how likely battery replacement will be. My above message was from October of 2016 and here are our stats now (with 9 bars):

AHr: 47.13, SOH 71%, 391.97V 29,733 miles, 4QCs, 2579 L1/L2s

We have until the end of the year -- how likely would it be to achieve needing a new battery if this is a 2nd car putting maybe 5k on it? if we keep it, would plan to quick charge it to help get it there. We have until December of this year. Likely or a stretch?

Thanks!

It is possible to lose a percent in few days. But that requires driving and DC charging for no apparent reason.
Some here have been able to heat the pack to 12 temperature bars. At those temps degradation happens
in hours, not in weeks. SOH-Hx readings usually go up when doing DC-charges but eventually will go below the level
they started. This recalculation takes days so no progress seems to happen immediately.

If you are ready to take few weekends off to be with your car and going for a weird long trip that doesn't go anywhere,
it's definitely doable.

Without QC port it would be another story. Still possible with hot garage (within the warranty requirement limits).

peakay said:
peakay said:
Sorry if I am not as knowledgeable as some others on here, but I wanted to get your take. We have a 2012 Leaf SL and its in service date was Jan. 3, 2013. I'm trying to estimate how likely it is we'd qualify for a replacement battery before the warranty expires on Jan 3, 2018?

Here are our stats now on leafspy lite: AHr: 47.80, SOH 72%, 384.0V 29,733 miles, 4QCs, 2391 L1/L2s

Its at 10 bars now, been almost a year since we lost the 2nd -- how likely do you think i is we'll see 8 bars by 1/8/18? We put about 10k mile sa year on the car the last 2 years.

Opinion needed on how likely battery replacement will be. My above message was from October of 2016 and here are our stats now (with 9 bars):

AHr: 47.13, SOH 71%, 391.97V 31,852 miles, 4QCs, 2579 L1/L2s

We have until the end of the year -- how likely would it be to achieve needing a new battery if this is a 2nd car putting maybe 5k on it? if we keep it, would plan to quick charge it to help get it there. We have until December of this year. Likely or a stretch?

Thanks!

Hi there, anyone have a guess or feedback on this? I am trying to give the local dealer a yay or nay on buying out the lease today. Don't want to do it if it's too big a gamble on getting the battery replaced.

The AHr went from 47.8 to 47.14 in about 2k miles. So if I need to get to the 43 range, would that mean we'd need to put another 11-12k on the car before December? if so, i think that is probably not going to happen.

Thanks!

peakay said:
Hi there, anyone have a guess or feedback on this? I am trying to give the local dealer a yay or nay on buying out the lease today. Don't want to do it if it's too big a gamble on getting the battery replaced.

The AHr went from 47.8 to 47.14 in about 2k miles. So if I need to get to the 43 range, would that mean we'd need to put another 11-12k on the car before December? if so, i think that is probably not going to happen.

Thanks!

There were some that reported needing to be slightly under 42 before losing the final bar. It might be a little bit of a stretch to get there in one summer if your temps aren't that hot. If the buyout number was low enough it still may be some value, but I'd think you'd probably want to be in the under $5K range out the door.

silverone said:
peakay said:

Thanks!

There were some that reported needing to be slightly under 42 before losing the final bar. It might be a little bit of a stretch to get there in one summer if your temps aren't that hot. If the buyout number was low enough it still may be some value, but I'd think you'd probably want to be in the under $5K range out the door.

Thank you. Yes, I'm feeling like it is a bit of stretch and the car has very little value if it doesn't get a new battery full charge is only in the 50-60 mile mile range. Way too low.

Current dealer offer is about $5300 out the door. what do you think its realistically worth if it does get a new battery? 6-7k?

peakay said:
Hi there, anyone have a guess or feedback on this? I am trying to give the local dealer a yay or nay on buying out the lease today. Don't want to do it if it's too big a gamble on getting the battery replaced. The AHr went from 47.8 to 47.14 in about 2k miles. So if I need to get to the 43 range, would that mean we'd need to put another 11-12k on the car before December? if so, i think that is probably not going to happen.
Given your coastal location and low mileage, I think you'll have trouble. Figure that you need to get down to 42 Ah (some have reported higher), and you need to lose another 5 Ahr. I lose about 3 Ahr/yr, but I only drive 7000 mi/yr in town, inland PNW so hot (105-110 F) summers. You'll have trouble unless you really work at it (LOTS of QCs, high speed spirited driving, keep fully charged, drain to Turtle, etc.). Given the used prices, I'd only take it for $5000 AND a new battery. I doubt that Nissan will take that deal.

A 12 bar 2012 SL in my climate retails around $8500 or so. Of course trade-in or private party will look more like the numbers you posted. It seems like pricing is significantly lower in California.

If you're in doubt at all, it is probably better to turn in and lease a 2017 or buy something else.

Just noticed my Ahr went from 45.35 to 46.4 in about 3 weeks. We've had some days in the 50's and some days below 30. I did get LBW warning yesterday (below 30 degrees) after about 38 miles of driving 40 mph.I was on the last bar with 3 mi on the GOM when I made it back home. I've seen it go up and down over time. Mostly down. But, this is definitely the largest increase I'e seen. I've charging to 100% all winter.

Amped said:
Just noticed my Ahr went from 45.35 to 46.4 in about 3 weeks. We've had some days in the 50's and some days below 30. I did get LBW warning yesterday (below 30 degrees) after about 38 miles of driving 40 mph.I was on the last bar with 3 mi on the GOM when I made it back home. I've seen it go up and down over time. Mostly down. But, this is definitely the largest increase I'e seen. I've charging to 100% all winter.

how often do you QC? That can jump stats a bunch!

For guys considering buying out leases with bad batteries, I just was quoted:

Brand new LEAF-S, with CHAdeMO quick charge and 6.6kW onboard charger, 30kWh battery for $33,000 minus $17,000 discount, $500 loyalty discount, $0 down, $299 month with California sales tax.

Residual 27% !!!!

Plus a $2500 California rebate check.

The total cost to drive the new car with new, bigger battery is $10,700 - $2500 for three years.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Amped said:

how often do you QC? That can jump stats a bunch!

car only has 4 QC's. Last one was a few months ago.

Back