How To: Backup camera for S model with OE parts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found another post. Doesn't look like I have the pins. Any recommendations on adding pins to the harness?

enrohT5 said:
Chiv,

Which SV features do you have? QC, LED, Nav?

2013 SV, no QC, no LED, with Nav.

I bought a harness adapter, but it hasn't arrived yet. Will report back once I give it a try, and once I confirm the pins are correct. FYI in the service manual, it's around page 128 in the Navigation section where you get the pin layout. :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/152050490325?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Chiv.

chivalryx said:
enrohT5 said:
Chiv,

I bought a harness adapter, but it hasn't arrived yet. Will report back once I give it a try, and once I confirm the pins are correct. FYI in the service manual, it's around page 128 in the Navigation section where you get the pin layout. :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/152050490325?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Chiv.

Planning on using the OEM backup camera?

vashwood said:
chivalryx said:
enrohT5 said:
Chiv,

Chiv.

Assuming the pins are correct, you should be able to splice the wires to the harness wires, saving the step of adding pins/wires. At worst I dismantle it, steal the pins, solder the wiring from the camera to the pins, and put the pins directly into the original connector.

Worth a try anyways :)

chivalryx said:
vashwood said:
chivalryx said:

Chiv.

Assuming the pins are correct, you should be able to splice the wires to the harness wires, saving the step of adding pins/wires. At worst I dismantle it, steal the pins, solder the wiring from the camera to the pins, and put the pins directly into the original connector.

Sounds like a plan. Let me know how it turns out.

Hrm... so I have the harness now, and it's basically filled all the pins (good), but the wiring for video/power doesn't match.

I'm looking at the manual, and the add-on harness has video on pins 21,22 (AV Input/AV Shield). Which doesn't seem to match correctly to some other posts (Wiring pins #40, 60). It also doesn't have a grounding wire setup for the camera sense (Which I'm assuming is pin #45 for reverse?).

This might take some time to tinker with. But at least I'm only going to be cutting into the add-on harness wires and not the car wires. Will report back if I have any success testing on a cheap 3rd party back up camera. If that works then the oem one should work as well.

Chiv.

vashwood said:
chivalryx said:
vashwood said:

So end result, the harness is no good for an SV, it's only good for an S with the smaller display (4.3"). I dismantled the harness to harvest the pins, plugged them into where I was missing wires on the NAV connector, and the aftermarket camera works!

Pin#40 - Camera Image Signal (video wire)
Pin#60 - Camera Image Signal Shield
Pin#58 - Camera Sense (connect to chassis to ground)

Essentially wire it the same as the "Bose" wiring pins in the service manual.

So if you went to the OEM, all you now need is to figure out which wire sends 6.2V for the camera and you're set.

Expensive way to get the pins though, you might need to find somewhere else that sells just the pins and solder the wiring yourself.

Chiv.

chivalryx said:
vashwood said:
chivalryx said:

So end result, the harness is no good for an SV, it's only good for an S with the smaller display (4.3"). I dismantled the harness to harvest the pins, plugged them into where I was missing wires on the NAV connector, and the aftermarket camera works!

Pin#40 - Camera Image Signal (video wire)
Pin#60 - Camera Image Signal Shield
Pin#58 - Camera Sense (connect to chassis to ground)

Essentially wire it the same as the "Bose" wiring pins in the service manual.

So if you went to the OEM, all you now need is to figure out which wire sends 6.2V for the camera and you're set.

Expensive way to get the pins though, you might need to find somewhere else that sells just the pins and solder the wiring yourself.

Chiv.

What aftermarket camera did you use? Were you able to fit it in the OEM Leaf Camera housing?

vashwood said:
What aftermarket camera did you use? Were you able to fit it in the OEM Leaf Camera housing?

It was just a cheap camera from China to test the wiring was correct. I didn't want to buy all the OEM parts just to find out it was impossible to get working! Now that I have that sorted out, I can pick up the correct parts (Hatch handle and camera).

For my test setup it was a generic 12V license plate camera, powered by the reverse lights. This particular one replaces the plastic license plate bulb housing. It's usable as is, but it's a bit low to the ground. I'm tempted to just use this setup for awhile to see if it fits my needs. The total cost was under $30 for everything, and no drilling involved.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CCD-night-vision-with-4-LED-lamps-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Camera-FOR-Nissan-350Z-2006/32521401052.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.OrV05X

Chiv.

Thanks OP! Instructions worked great for my Leaf, Feb 2013 SL (non-premium). Only part I didn't need to replace was hatch harness 24052-3NF0C. I verified the kick plate harness and the rear pillar harness had the necessary wires before ordering.

Anyone work out how to turn on an already installed rear camera while going forward, without having to get into reverse circuit?

If you have actually done this let me know.

And if you have wiring diagram too.

Hi all,

I recently got a 2013 SV with Nav/Halogens/no QC. I was hoping to install the rearview camera on it. After picking up the camera and handle (I forgo'd the harnesses as I was just going to run the 4 conductor cable to the front kick panel. Before tearing the rear apart, I wanted to take a look at the wiring in the kick panel, and lo-and-behold, my M21 connector does not have the requisite (a la Vashwood and others I'm sure). Has anyone had any luck wiring the camera directly to the back of the AV unit? As I see it, the big issue is the lack of pins in the harness at the back of the unit.

The only method I can see which would likely work is install the new handle, and cut the connector off the old handle and harvest the pins from that. To get the remainder of the pins, one could cut the connector off the camera and solder the new 4 conductor cable to the camera. Unfortunately this doesn't really allow second guessing yourself!

Thoughts?

So it looks like it might be a bit more involved. I pulled the head unit on the weekend and based on the wiring diagram for the 2013 with Nav/ Bose, there are pinouts for the Camera video, shield, and chassis ground coming from the AV unit, but not for the +6.2V power required to drive the camera. The only mention of 6.2 V in the manual come from either the Bose amp, or the Around view controller, both of which my car (and I suspect many of the SV's that have had this mod done) do not have. I really have no idea where the 6.2V power comes from on those lucky individuals who have the correct wiring.

The only thing I could think to do is tap one of the +12V lines, put a voltage regulator on, and try to get it around 6V. Seems like alot of messing about though.

Corndog said:
I recently got a 2013 SV with Nav/Halogens/no QC. I was hoping to install the rearview camera on it. After picking up the camera and handle (I forgo'd the harnesses as I was just going to run the 4 conductor cable to the front kick panel...

Does the B18 connector behind the rear drivers side interior panel have 13 wires? Check this post:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23358&p=486454

Also, take a look inside the hatch and see if the hatch harness already has the camera connector (also shown in that post).

If yes, to both then all you need is the body to hatch harness, the camera, the new handle and a few screws. I did this on my 2013 SL and the total install time was under 30 minutes.

If your B18 connector does not have the wiring, and the wiring is also not present in the front lower kick panel, then check this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20795

Thanks to OP and all the other helpful posts on this thread.

I read through and thought I ordered the right parts.

I have a 2013 SL without the premium package.

I ordered only the following parts, based on some posts I thought I could leave out the Hatch Harness.

90606-3NF5B
Handle, Outside

24051-3NF0B
Harness Back Dr (Body to Hatch Harness)

28442-3NH0B
Rear Camera

01454-N5021
Camera Screw

My problem is the camera I got does not match of the connector that my in-place hatch harness has.

Can I just splice the wires from the camera and hatch harness, and connect/solder them together?
My camera has yellow, white, red and a black wire. The wires at the hatch harness are red, white, black, and one that's black/grayish.

Or do I have to get the correct Hatch Harness Or just use the hatch harness I have and get the other camera?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

When I did my install, I never bought any harnesses, but instead just made my own out of four different color wire (I can't remember if I used #18awg or a bit smaller), and I soldered/heat shrinked the connections on both ends (fishing it through the rubber pipe from the rear hatch and along the bottom drivers side). The drivers kick panel side was much easier to do if you pull the M21 connector out.

Everything worked right off using the info on this thread (camera color to M21 color).

I would have purchased harnesses, but it wasn't clear to me exactly which one was right, and it would have added to the cost. You can get electronic hobby (stranded) wire from your neighbour electronic store, and it works fine.

I confirmed my car does not have the requisite wiring in the hatch (not surprisingly, as there is a lack of wiring in the kick panel). Here is where I stand:
=(March) 2013 SV - Nav/No Bose/No around view
=No wiring in the kick panel - I'll use another posters image as it is the same as what I have (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B72qQeKA6G0IVGo0R1l1b3JfUG83YU4zbDI2WnNzWmVRRXlV/view)
=In looking at the 2013 AV service manual, the only cars that received the rear view as an option were the ones with the "Display Audio" (S model?) (http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2013%20LEAF/AV.pdf Page 13) and cars with the Bose system (http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2013%20LEAF/AV.pdf Page 221). Both of these show rear view cameras. On the "Navigation w/o Bose", there is no Rear view camera listed. Even if it was an option, it should be listed here (http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2013%20LEAF/AV.pdf Page 93)
=On the 'Display Audio' system, " Power for the camera is supplied from the audio unit, and the image signal at the rear of the vehicle is sent back to the audio unit.". However, the wiring for this unit is completely different to that with Nav.
=On the 'Nav w/ Bose' system, "Power for the camera is supplied from the around view monitor control unit, and the image at the rear of the vehicle is sent to the around view monitor control unit.". Which of course this vehicle doesn't have.
=According to previous posts, most of the camera can be wired direct to the head unit like so:
Camera Image : Pin 40
Camera Shield : Pin 60
Camera Sense : Pin 58
With a ground connection (simple) and a +6V connection (this is the issue).

I probed around the back of the connector while the car was powered and could not locate a 6V pin. I'd like to ask someone who has the same car (SV, Nav/no around view/no bose) to get a couple shots of their audio connector behind the unit (This is the easiest unit to remove - 4 screws!). It would sure help my looking - and hopefully help out some other members. Thanks!

dqmz1Zq.jpg

S3WZRZh.jpg

DWCUnVU.jpg

OmOGnxX.jpg

datsun240z said:
Thanks to OP and all the other helpful posts on this thread.

I read through and thought I ordered the right parts.

I have a 2013 SL without the premium package.

I ordered only the following parts, based on some posts I thought I could leave out the Hatch Harness.

90606-3NF5B
Handle, Outside

24051-3NF0B
Harness Back Dr (Body to Hatch Harness)

28442-3NH0B
Rear Camera

01454-N5021
Camera Screw

My problem is the camera I got does not match of the connector that my in-place hatch harness has.

Can I just splice the wires from the camera and hatch harness, and connect/solder them together?
My camera has yellow, white, red and a black wire. The wires at the hatch harness are red, white, black, and one that's black/grayish.

Or do I have to get the correct Hatch Harness Or just use the hatch harness I have and get the other camera?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

See my prior post (I too have 2013 SL non-premium). I got the camera "28442-3NH0A", and that worked w/ the existing hatch harness. I think the camera you got is the wider angle one meant for the bose system w/ around view (the one I got I felt is already wide angle enough). And you're right, you've got several feasible options. 1. splice from the camera to the non-matching connector of the hatch harness (I don't recall the pinout description, but its in this thread or another camera thread) . OR 2. get the camera I got.

Corndog said:
I probed around the back of the connector while the car was powered and could not locate a 6V pin. I'd like to ask someone who has the same car (SV, Nav/no around view/no bose) to get a couple shots of their audio connector behind the unit (This is the easiest unit to remove - 4 screws!). It would sure help my looking - and hopefully help out some other members. Thanks!

It might be you can't probe it because the "camera sense" pin isn't connected to ground. So my theory is once that is connected to ground, you can put your car in reverse and it'll send -6v and +6v to the pins which you can try and probe (hopefully it doesn't burn your nav).

ctranz said:
It might be you can't probe it because the "camera sense" pin isn't connected to ground. So my theory is once that is connected to ground, you can put your car in reverse and it'll send -6v and +6v to the pins which you can try and probe (hopefully it doesn't burn your nav).

That was my thinking too. Yesterday I removed the camera pins and hooked them directly to the back of the AV unit and grounded the camera sense pin. Nothing. Shifting to reverse didn't give 6V anywhere. I then took a peruse through the AV diagnostic menu, and found the 'Vehicle Signals" menu. When you turn the lights on, it detects that. When you put the parking brake on, it detects that. When I shifted into reverse, it didn't detect that! The grey reverse sense wire is present on the harness, I just have no idea if it actually works (which it appear it does not).

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Back