Regulatory Rollback on Vehicle Pollution

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooglas

"The Trump administration is expected to begin rolling back stringent federal regulations on vehicle pollution.............. essentially marking a U-turn to efforts to force the American auto industry to produce more electric cars." New York Times 3/6/17

So, what may this mean regarding incentives for manufacturers to produce EVs in the US, and for consumers to purchase them?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/us/politics/trump-vehicle-emissions-regulation.html?mabReward=CTM&recp=1&moduleDetail=recommendations-1&action=click&contentCollection=Politics&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article

it just means that the American car industry will fall further behind as other manufactures will take the lead on this and they will have to play catch up again.. like they did in 2000. Honda and Toyota took the lead on that and the prius, to this day (almost), carries market leads on hybrid even though they are not the only or best one out there.

The above are my opinions, not facts.

DuncanCunningham said:
it just means that the American car industry will fall further behind as other manufactures will take the lead on this and they will have to play catch up again.. like they did in 2000. Honda and Toyota took the lead on that and the prius, to this day (almost), carries market leads on hybrid even though they are not the only or best one out there.

The above are my opinions, not facts.

Exactly our land yachts aren't wanted by any foreign nation, they simply aren't competitive outside our 300lb bloated shores.

My only hope is that they eliminate the gray market laws, competition afterall forces innovation.

Dooglas said:
... So, what may this mean regarding incentives for manufacturers to produce EVs in the US, and for consumers to purchase them?
Will this promote less hatred of EVs?

LeftieBiker said:
Ironically, neither of these threads are likely to show up in a search for the subsidy ending.
As it shouldn't since the direct subsidy isn't ending because of this.

As it shouldn't since the direct subsidy isn't ending because of this.

No, not this week, but it's the beginning of the end. It seems likely to me that you will win our bet but I will prove to be right - just not in the exact time frame I expected. To be fair, I had underestimated Trumps ability to create chaos. ;-(

A lot of cars are made not only to meet the Federal requirements, but also the California requirements as selling cars to the US market and having special versions for California is a marketing nightmare. So if the Feds roll back the standards, the industry may well still dance to California's fiddle at least to some degree. But yes, that will likely slow progress.

DarthPuppy said:
A lot of cars are made not only to meet the Federal requirements, but also the California requirements as selling cars to the US market and having special versions for California is a marketing nightmare. So if the Feds roll back the standards, the industry may well still dance to California's fiddle at least to some degree. But yes, that will likely slow progress.

The Trump Administration is also about to sue to remove the exemption that allows California and the other CARB states to have stricter standards.

LeftieBiker said:
DarthPuppy said:

The Trump Administration is also about to sue to remove the exemption that allows California and the other CARB states to have stricter standards.
That would likely result in a Paris esc car ban in various cities as that after all has nothing to do with EPA

Pretty much anyone can sue for any reason. The real question is will the suit prevail and when will it impact?

There is considerable history that states can regulate to a stiffer standard than established at the Federal level. Can the suit win? Yes. Will it make its way through the courts and have any real impact before 2020? Highly doubtful.

The Federal courts at this point are flooded with liberal justices. So it will likely fail at the lower levels. And even once Gorsuch or whoever is put on the Supreme Court, there are only x number of cases the court hears in any given year. I suspect the Supreme Court is going to be buried with more pressing issues for at least the next 3 years.

Via https://www.facebook.com/kit.mcglonegreen/posts/10212092004922103 that was shared by a Facebook friend of mine, it mentioned "1. HR 861 Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency".

Sure enough, there is https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/861.

An excerpt from the Text tab
To terminate the Environmental Protection Agency.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. Termination of the Environmental Protection Agency.

The Environmental Protection Agency shall terminate on December 31, 2018.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, and California plus the other states with rules tailored after CARB are about to defend their regulatory approach in Court. Some irony in many "blue" states defending States Rights against the centralized regulatory approach of Conservatives. Oh well, that will not be the only spectacle we have to endure in the next few months.

Back