Trumpists begin their attack on America's EV policies.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rmay635703 said:
I wonder what the VW settlement money will end up going for?

Was supposed to build a nationwide quick charge network, maybe VW diesels will come back?

This is a VW dieselgate storage yard in Colorado:

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

IMAG0545.jpg

That is millions and millions of dollars' of inventory, and there are several other storage yards like this round the country just with VW and Audis. They only have another year or two of storage before they will start to cost a lot more money to get back on the road. There was talk that VW and the EPA were working out a way to modify the cars and return them to the road, or to arrange a deal with another country to accept them. I suspect under Trump the EPA will relax it's expectations and allow the cars to be sold again with little (maybe no) modifications.

I think that many are mistakenly equating that if Trump (I will call it the government), may relax some requirements for coal-based electrical production, the proliferation of electric cars will be negatively affected. Yes, while increased coal may be polluting, the presence of the EV is REALLY NOT TRYING TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING...

We are naïve to think that we are saving the environment with our Leafs... Do you think that even 1/2 million EVs on the road is going to stop polar ice from thawing?? NO. The true enemy of the environment are the developing third world countries that are becoming more affluent, like China, India, Korea, and many other small countries. Their population is wanting a piece of the American Pie - - Every driveway has a car. PLUS there are no environmental laws in these countries. So for every Leaf we buy, there are 100 new cars that are being driven in these countries.

In my opinion if the government increases coal use, we will have more jobs, rely less on foreign oil, and make more electricity within our country to charge our EV cars. After all, I have a Leaf NOT for the environment, but for: a) saving my driving dollars, and 2) Reduce the use of depleting oil supplies of our country and our planet. When the oil runs out, we will be back to horses and steam locomotives using.... COAL..

powersurge said:
I think that many are mistakenly equating that if Trump (I will call it the government), may relax some requirements for coal-based electrical production, the proliferation of electric cars will be negatively affected. Yes, while increased coal may be polluting, the presence of the EV is REALLY NOT TRYING TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING...

We are naïve to think that we are saving the environment with our Leafs... Do you think that even 1/2 million EVs on the road is going to stop polar ice from thawing?? NO. The true enemy of the environment are the developing third world countries that are becoming more affluent, like China, India, Korea, and many other small countries. Their population is wanting a piece of the American Pie - - Every driveway has a car. PLUS there are no environmental laws in these countries. So for every Leaf we buy, there are 100 new cars that are being driven in these countries.

In my opinion if the government increases coal use, we will have more jobs, rely less on foreign oil to power electrical plants, and make more electricity to charge our EV cars. After all, I have a Leaf NOT for the environment, but for: a) saving my driving dollars, and 2) Reduce the use of depleting oil supplies of our country and our planet. When the oil runs out, we will be back to horses and steam locomotives using.... COAL..

I had no idea the US was using oil in electrical generating plants. I know in Canada with the exception of a few northern isolated communities we produce pretty much zero power with oil. For the most part 80 percent of our power comes from hydro or nuclear. In some provinces that is closer to 100 percent by hydro. I was under the impression that about a third of US power comes from coal. What states produce power from oil. Maybe Hawaii??? Curious.

The bulk of the power generated in Hawaii does indeed come from oil. There is very little hydro power a little geothermal power and some wind generation. Household solar is big and getting bigger.

downeykp said:
The bulk of the power generated in Hawaii does indeed come from oil. There is very little hydro power a little geothermal power and some wind generation. Household solar is big and getting bigger.

Yah islands can be tricky for power. However I bet within a decade it will be mostly solar with some sort of storage for night time coverage.

webeleafowners said:
downeykp said:

Yah islands can be tricky for power. However I bet within a decade it will be mostly solar with some sort of storage for night time coverage.
Like this?

Tesla’s newest solar project coming to Kauai

Meanwhile, off in Hawaii, Tesla Chief Technology Officer J.B. Straubel was meeting with the Aloha State’s governor, David Ige, to unveil the company’s latest solar-related project: nearly 55,000 solar panels to provide power to the island of Kauai.

Tesla is also including 272 of its Powerpack 2 batteries in the project, which will allow for solar energy to be stored and used at night. The company plans to turn the solar panels on in phases over the coming months.
That's 52 MWh of storage and 13 MW of PV.

GetOffYourGas said:
...The federal tax credit does not apply to used cars. The only exception I know of is (was?) the CO state credit which applies to any car (new or used) that has not yet been registered in the state. (someone from CO, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here)...
The Colorado $6000 tax credit on used EVs ended on December 31st. The current $5000 EV rebate is only for new EVs.

Powersurge is making the argument that just - by coincidence, of course! - requires him to do nothing he does not wish to do. Nice work, if you can get it. He is correct about oil in power plants, but Canadian fuel oil is still a bit better than coal - Alberta tar sands oil excepted. We can all be nihilistic and re-embrace fossil fuels, but that guarantees that things will get worse, fast.

Coal jobs are not coming back: they were lost more to automation than to market forces.

Except for Hawaii and remote locations in Alaska, I doubt there is much oil-fired generation still in use in the USA for base load (perhaps some old units still kept available for peak needs). Natural gas (NG) is taking over due to the relatively low price of NG. Coal jobs will not come back unless NG prices raise a lot because it is becoming cheaper for utilities to buy power from independent NG-fired generators than operate and maintain their own coal plants.

Coal jobs will not come back unless NG prices raise a lot because it is becoming cheaper for utilities to buy power from independent NG-fired generators than operate and maintain their own coal plants.

Again, the only col jobs that would return would be recently laid off heavy equipment operators. Automation and horrible things like "mountaintop removal" mining have eliminated most of the jobs already.

Even manufacturers in the environmentally progressive China are lobbying to have mandates relaxed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-may-roll-back-electric-111726861.html

Automakers and industry bodies have said the targets are too tough and could hurt manufacturers' interests.

Trump expected to announce vehicle emissions rules review

U.S. President Donald Trump is expected announce a restart of a review of vehicle fuel efficiency rules sought by the auto industry at an event on Wednesday with the chief executives of U.S. automakers, according to two sources briefed on the matter.

Trump is expected to visit Ypsilanti, Michigan, a Detroit suburb, to tout his administration's decision to revive a review of the feasibility of the 2022 through 2025 vehicle emissions rules, after the Obama administration moved in its final days to lock in the rules...

Trade groups representing automakers, including GM, Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) and Toyota Motor Corp, have asked the EPA to withdraw the determination finalizing the rules, which stem from a 2011 deal the industry reached with the U.S. government.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-autos-idUSKBN16K1L5

Report on attacks on State incentive programs below:

Behind the Quiet State-by-State Fight Over Electric Vehicles

...Today, the economic incentives that have helped electric vehicles gain a toehold in America are under attack, state by state. In some states, there is a move to repeal tax credits for battery-powered vehicles or to let them expire. And in at least nine states, including liberal-leaning ones like Illinois and conservative-leaning ones like Indiana, lawmakers have introduced bills that would levy new fees on those who own electric cars.

The state actions could put the business of electric vehicles, already rocky, on even more precarious footing. That is particularly true as gas prices stay low, and as the Trump administration appears set to give the nascent market much less of a hand...

In coming days, the Trump administration is widely expected to roll back stringent federal regulations on vehicle emissions, one of the biggest environmental legacies of President Barack Obama. The changes would give American carmakers less incentive to produce more battery-powered cars. There are also concerns among advocates of electric cars over the fate of a $7,500 federal tax credit on the vehicles, a major catalyst for sales.

But while the battle in Washington gets much of the attention, the most direct attack against electric vehicles, and in some cases hybrid vehicles, is quietly being waged at the state level....
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/11/business/energy-environment/electric-cars-hybrid-tax-credits.html

powersurge said:

I'm less concerned about whether or not it emits CO2, and just eliminates the use of oil. The grid can be greened after the fact, and it's continually getting greener. I was honestly hoping for the beginnings of peak oil by now to force the hand of the market through increased pricing, which would make electric vehicles more attractive from a financial perspective faster than they are now, but we will get there. As is, even with gasoline at $2/gal, I still save money by driving my Leaf versus driving a gasoline powered car. Assuming my Leaf lives for 6 years, it will pay for itself in fuel savings even if gasoline stays at $2/gal. I suspect we will see it go back up to $3/gal in the near future, reducing the payback window.

I think that over the next 5-10 years the economics of electric vehicles will outweigh gasoline vehicles by a factor large enough to convince greater numbers of people to make the switch, all environmental reasons aside.

The true enemy of the environment are the developing third world countries that are becoming more affluent, like China, India, Korea, and many other small countries. Their population is wanting a piece of the American Pie - - Every driveway has a car. PLUS there are no environmental laws in these countries.

That would make the "true enemy of the environment" the US and other Western countries who are setting the global standards for what constitutes affluence. China, BTW, is getting way ahead of us in EV usage.

LeftieBiker said:
The true enemy of the environment are the developing third world countries that are becoming more affluent, like China, India, Korea, and many other small countries. Their population is wanting a piece of the American Pie - - Every driveway has a car. PLUS there are no environmental laws in these countries.

That would make the "true enemy of the environment" the US and other Western countries who are setting the global standards for what constitutes affluence. China, BTW, is getting way ahead of us in EV usage.

Yep, wasting energy is the enemy of the environment, driving cars at all is the enemy of the environment.

At some point both will become increasingly impossible and we might get motivated enough to do things truly sustainably, which means no tractors, no big chem and less but longer lasting tech.

LeftieBiker said:
...China, BTW, is getting way ahead of us in EV usage.
China has always been way ahead in terms of EV usage. Past 10 years, they have millions of electric bicycles, the primary form of transportation in many major cities.

China has always been way ahead in terms of EV usage. Past 10 years, they have millions of electric bicycles, the primary form of transportation in many major cities.

True, although the quality of most of those bicycles is very lacking. I was referring to China pulling ahead of us in the EV automotive market.

Back on-topic:

Trump won't seek to roll back California vehicle authority

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump will announce the EPA will revive a review of the feasibility of strict fuel efficiency standards through 2025, but will not seek to withdraw California's authority to set its own vehicle rules, a White House official said late on Tuesday.

Reuters reported on Monday the administration planned to announce the review on Wednesday as Trump heads to Michigan, home of the U.S. auto industry.

A White House official briefing reporters said the Trump administration will spend the next year working on the review to determine if the 2022-25 model-year rules are feasible. The administration has made no decisions on how or if the standards should be revised.

But the Trump administration is not picking an immediate fight with California, which has long drawn the ire of automakers for setting more aggressive environmental vehicle rules, including requiring zero-emission cars....
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170315/OEM11/170319911/1221

LeftieBiker said:
Powersurge is making the argument that just - by coincidence, of course! - requires him to do nothing he does not wish to do. Nice work, if you can get it. He is correct about oil in power plants, but Canadian fuel oil is still a bit better than coal - Alberta tar sands oil excepted. We can all be nihilistic and re-embrace fossil fuels, but that guarantees that things will get worse, fast.

Coal jobs are not coming back: they were lost more to automation than to market forces.

I think that increasing coal production and coal-related jobs will not necessarily hurt the environment. I have a link below of the breakdown of fuel sources used in electricity production... Coal use is 1/3 of our electricity, and Natural Gas is 1/3 = 66%. Natural gas fracking can devastate the environment. So increased coal use will decrease the use of Natural Gas, which is in every naturalist's mind -- Natural Gas is the greater of two evils. Like it or not, until we all go solar, coal will continue to be used for electricity production for the next 50-100 years.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

And Leftiebiker, don't accuse anyone of not doing things because they are lazy.... I don't see you or anyone in America that will boycott electricity because it is made by coal. You just like to "overpower" (LOL) other people's opinions....

A man who lives in a place full of concrete and steel mountains can't see the harm in removing actual mountains. According to the American Lung Association, coal is responsible for 12,000 deaths in the US each year due to respiratory issues directly from coal burning. For reference, that's about the same amount of people who die from gun homicide each year in the US.

As you say, fracking is bad for the environment as well. The actual act of fracking the Earth thousands of feet underground is greatly shrouded in misinformation, lies, deception, and trade secrets. But even if we forget about what happens underground and just look at the surface, fracking is horrible. There are spills of fracking fluid, wastewater, diesel fuel, hydraulic fluid every single day at thousands of fracking sites in the US. The same types of "collateral damage" happen in coal mines. The act of burning these fuels is many many times cleaner than actually getting it out of the ground.

Of course the ultimate answer is nuclear energy end of story.

Back