Clipper Creek CS-40 vs. HCS-40R

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

(A general question, really; I could've picked other comparable models from their respective series.) Does anyone get why the Clipper Creek CS-40 is so much more expensive than the HCS-40R? (Or, perhaps -- why the CS-40 is still offered at all?) They appear to have very similar capabilities. The CS-40 is designated "commercial", while the HCS-40R appears on both "residential" and "commercial" lists, but that seems to be arbitrary. The CS-40 has the same styling as the even-more-expensive units that allow for access control, but it doesn't have any of those features itself. And the CS-40 is apparently UL-certified, that favorite issue of some folks here, while the HCS-40R doesn't list that. But is that really a thousand-dollar difference?

The CS series is I think their oldest line and uses a metal case. I've charged at a few of them that based on the fading of the finish appear to have been mounted outdoors for quite some time. They scream "heavy duty."

The HCS series I think uses a plastic case, like the LCS series but larger. When I got my LCS-25 back in 2013 I don't think the HCS was around yet, so it's probably the newest line. LCS can also be "mounted anywhere" per CC but while a good unit it's probably not as rugged as the CS or HCS.

Back