2013 Leaf S - Fresno

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigShow

Hello, new to the forum, but not new to forums about small cars, run a MINI forum called MiniTorque but have just stepped into Leaf and EV ownership for the first time.

Last week we snapped up a 2013 S with 24k on the clock for the unbelievably cheap (to me) sum of $7,495, mint condition all round aside from the cheap carmax hubcaps that had been added but apart from that can't fault it - looks, feels and even smells like a year old car.

Anyway, thanks to this forum I learned that I needed a late 2013 model which it is and already bought a few mods for it:

• Correct Leaf (non-oem) hubcaps to replace the terrible carmax ones, $80 inc delivery was very reasonable
    Seat extender for the drivers seat (thanks to the thread on here for that)
    LeafSpy Pro and OBD

Next mods are window tints and vinyl wrap to promote our company as it's supposed to be our local promo and delivery vehicle but I can't stop driving it so it's now also going to be my commuter car.

Any tips, hints or must-do mods, fire'em on over as would love to hear what people are doing to their Leaf's.

Pic at pick-up and after adding the new hubcaps:

IMG_20170310_140835_zpsvvtokv20.jpg

Congrats! It definitely looks like you've done your homework on this. What are the LeafSpy readings? Also does it have QC?

If it doesn't have a backup camera (I think it would be included on the QC package), there's a thread on how to add an OEM one to the car that utilizes the screen of the factory stereo system.

Oh and thank you for replacing those hideous Pep Boys hubcaps with the correct-looking ones.

Congrats, and welcome!

My experience mirrors yours, that the off-lease cars are in fantastic shape.
It all comes down to battery health.

I agree -- the LEAF is really pleasant to drive. My wife says she smiles every time she hears the Wrrr of the the motor :)
I'm not a mods kind of guy, but I do wash the car pretty often. You will too :mrgreen:

RonDawg said:
Congrats! It definitely looks like you've done your homework on this. What are the LeafSpy readings? Also does it have QC?

If it doesn't have a backup camera (I think it would be included on the QC package), there's a thread on how to add an OEM one to the car that utilizes the screen of the factory stereo system.

Oh and thank you for replacing those hideous Pep Boys hubcaps with the correct-looking ones.

Thanks for the welcome.

It defo needs a backup camera so will add that to the list.

LeafSpy readings:

Screenshot_2017-03-12-11-04-50_zps9cbov6ta.png

Screenshot_2017-03-12-10-58-10_zpsrngyefwy.png

Thoughts? Full charge is showing 100% all bars and 80 mike range.

SageBrush said:
Congrats, and welcome!

My experience mirrors yours, that the off-lease cars are in fantastic shape.
It all comes down to battery health.

I agree -- the LEAF is really pleasant to drive. My wife says she smiles every time she hears the Wrrr of the the motor :)
I'm not a mods kind of guy, but I do wash the car pretty often. You will too :mrgreen:

Thanks, certainly seems that way.

Errr yes I can tell I'll be washing it a lot, spent yesterday morning washing it and applying wax ready for the temperature rise. Paint condition was A1 though so starting with a good base

IMG_20170311_153810_956_zpspxfc6rnt.jpg

20170311_120636_zpsetkni2xj.jpg

20170311_120710_zpsu5kmzz8w.jpg

Looks like your battery has ~ 88 - 90% of new health.
At a 100% charge you should start with about 14/0.75 = 18.6 kWh
Pretty good.

BigShow said:
LeftieBiker said:
Can you post the page with the AH reading (or SOH if you have the registered version)?

AH is 41.73
SOC is: 73.7

I'm guessing it is an early '13 build (between Jan and March), or came from a really hot climate (or both). The dash should show 8 or 9 capacity bars. If not down to 8, expect it by the end of the summer. If it is less than 60k miles, you will get a warranty replacement on the battery.

BigShow said:
LeftieBiker said:
Can you post the page with the AH reading (or SOH if you have the registered version)?

AH is 41.73
SOC is: 73.7
SOC doesn't matter. The ones that we'd be most interested in re: capacity are AHr, SOH and Hx.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm guessing it is an early '13 build (between Jan and March), or came from a really hot climate (or both). The dash should show 8 or 9 capacity bars. If not down to 8, expect it by the end of the summer. If it is less than 60k miles, you will get a warranty replacement on the battery.
Concur. 41.73 Ahr is very degraded.

Looking at figures on here that's my thoughts too. It's an 07/13 build car but has been in Cali all its life so definitely lived hot.

At 100% it shows full bars and a 70 mile range.

BigShow said:
Looking at figures on here that's my thoughts too. It's an 07/13 build car but has been in Cali all its life so definitely lived hot.

At 100% it shows full bars and a 70 mile range.
Wow. It lived in a hot climate. Have a Carfax and/or Autocheck showing where? 4/2013 and later '13 Leafs seem to have better batteries.

The "70 miles" is the stupid GOM (guess-o-meter). It's crap. As for "full bars", I think you're looking at the wrong thing.

The capacity bars are the thin bars all the way on the right, including the red ones. See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg for a (fully charged) 3 bar-loser. We're not talking about the "fuel bars" that go up/down depending on state of charge.

Once you're down 4 capacity bars within 5 year/60K miles (whichever comes first) of original in-service date, you'll be eligible for a replacement battery.

What are your SOH and Hx readings?

Apologies, see the data you guys are talking about now, forgive the newb.

AHr: 56.93
SOH: 87%
Hx: 85.33
0 QC's
977 L1/L2's

BigShow said:

0 QC's
977 L1/L2's

That is much closer to what is expected of a Leaf with that build date. You are, however, close to dropping your first capacity bar.

baustin said:
BigShow said:

0 QC's
977 L1/L2's

That is much closer to what is expected of a Leaf with that build date. You are, however, close to dropping your first capacity bar.

Thanks, so just carry on regardless or still get it checked at the dealers?

BigShow said:
baustin said:
BigShow said:

0 QC's
977 L1/L2's

Agree w/baustin's comment. Your battery is in similar condition to mine.

What would you get checked at a dealer? They're not going to do squat unless you're down to 8 capacity bars or less or have some weird symptoms like sudden power loss well above turtle. Even for major imbalances due to a bad cell (can show up in Leaf Spy), some have had trouble getting that fixed.

cwerdna said:
BigShow said:
baustin said:

Agree w/baustin's comment. Your battery is in similar condition to mine.

What would you get checked at a dealer? They're not going to do squat unless you're down to 8 capacity bars or less or have some weird symptoms like sudden power loss well above turtle. Even for major imbalances due to a bad cell (can show up in Leaf Spy), some have had trouble getting that fixed.

Perfect, will just carry on enjoying the car and not worry about.

Appreciate everyone's comment's.

Back