Pusher trailer laws?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IssacZachary

I've seen several examples of people who have built pusher trailers, even in California and New York and have "gotten away" with it. Now I know we all have different opinions on pusher trailers as range extenders for our Leafs. But my question is, what legal implications would there ever be for owning and using a pusher trailer? So far they seem to be in a complete grey zone in the USA. There are comercial "pusher trailer" vehicles that have to comply with modern emissions standards. But what about a homebuilt pusher trailer? I mean if a guy went and built one for those occasional long trips would he risk pusher trailers being banned in the next few years? It seems that anyone could hook up a pusher trailer behind a Leaf right now and the law wouldn't do anything about it.

It seems the short number of pusher trailer experimenters hasn't yet warranted a look at any pusher trailer laws. Would I be correct to presume it will probably stay that way?

And if pusher trailer laws ever come into existence, what do think they would be like? A total ban on pusher trailers? Or a "it must meet current emissions standards" set of laws?

If your pusher trailer is made of a very old car (like a classic VW) you license it much like any old car and really have no legal gray area since it's exempt all the way around.

rmay635703 said:
If your pusher trailer is made of a very old car (like a classic VW) you license it much like any old car and really have no legal gray area since it's exempt all the way around.

I do have a classic 1972 VW Beetle. :idea:

Tow bar (push bar)?? :shock:

But that's a bit bulky. I wonder how hard it is to get a small air-cooled Honda V-twin to reach modern emissions levels? :?:

Probably not easy! :|

>>SMALL ENGINE FUEL INJECTION<<

>>SMALL ENGINE CATALYTIC CONVERTER<<

I think you are looking for a problem where one doesn't exist. Many states require trailers to be registered and have a license plate. Other than variations in the yearly fee, they don't really care about the use of the trailer. Emissions laws apply when the device with the engine in it is sold as new, unless specifically exempted. After the sale, no one cares, except for places that require yearly emissions testing of vehicles. Unless you are selling assembled pusher trailers, none of this is an issue to be concerned with, as far as the law goes. Bringing up this, so far, 'non-issue' and asking about it, is a good way to bring it to the attention of someone that thinks it needs to be regulated and start the effort of getting laws changed to do so.

baustin said:
Bringing up this, so far, 'non-issue' and asking about it, is a good way to bring it to the attention of someone that thinks it needs to be regulated and start the effort of getting laws changed to do so.
Oops! :oops:

I'm interested in a pusher trailer, battery trailer, or some way to extend range. I don't plan on doing anything, until the extended and battery warranties expire, as Nissan cites towing as a reason for voiding the warranty on the Leaf. Maybe, by then, some better options will be available.

baustin said:
I'm interested in a pusher trailer, battery trailer, or some way to extend range. I don't plan on doing anything, until the extended and battery warranties expire, as Nissan cites towing as a reason for voiding the warranty on the Leaf. Maybe, by then, some better options will be available.

Ya, I'd also like to do either a pusher trailer or a battery trailer or something once I get my Bug sold. The idea of an ICE on my EV does have its cons, but then when I see the price and weight of batteries, it turns me right back to the pusher trailer idea again.

Back