LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd vote to shut down this 4 year old thread full of old speculation and rumors and just use the new thread.

jlv said:
I'd vote to shut down this 4 year old thread full of old speculation and rumors and just use the new thread.

Hear, hear. Threads such as this get jumbled with wild, uninformed/ill informed/misinformed speculation. Facts are coming to bear for the 2018 LEAF. We now know what it will look like, pretty much...

Scroll down to the bottom and the two lighter blue rendering are the unofficial 2018 LEAF images:

https://carsintrend.com/2018-nissan-leaf/

RRLeafEV said:
jlv said:

Hear, hear. Threads such as this get jumbled with wild, uninformed/ill informed/misinformed speculation. Facts are coming to bear for the 2018 LEAF. We now know what it will look like, pretty much...

Scroll down to the bottom and the two lighter blue rendering are the unofficial 2018 LEAF images:

That site reads like it was written by children and then run through Babelfish. What is their primary language?

LeftieBiker said:
RRLeafEV said:
jlv said:

That site reads like it was written by children and then run through Babelfish. What is their primary language?

I don't know. Maybe German. The translators treat the word "for" in kind of a strange way.

evnow said:
See the new thread. Nissan now suggesting Leaf 2 will exceed expectations in range, design, value etc.

Hmmmm. My own counsel I will keep, on what are expectations!

Yoda4.jpg

Yes. And obviously, your opinion is that it should not be merged. My opinion is that, until we have anything like an official reveal, that information should be shared in the "What we know so far" thread.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Why the long delay? ...
The primary reason may be the lack of competition.

Leaf Gen one is still selling far better world-wide than any other competitive BEV.

Whether Nissan has taken advantage of this long time lag to produce a Gen 2 with major advances over other BEVs will only be known when we get the details.

No rush to bring an inferior car to a market of low gas prices and fed tax credit elimination

jlv said:
RRLeafEV said:
That article and those pictures are just more old speculation. It's from July 2016!

The drawings very closely resemble the car caught in "spy shots" a few weeks ago. I'm using them to picture the new Leaf, with the understanding that small bits may change.

I have a question for this group regarding the Generation 2 LEAF, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

What are your expectations with the car?

Now with that, I'd caveat, that it's understood that it must be competitive in range, durability and price, but other that that, what are your expectations, and what will it take for Nissan to keep you as a LEAF owner?

* Collison avoidance.
* 150 mile (240 KM) range.
* Same size (slightly bigger ok).
* Same bells and whistles they have now.
* At least as quiet as the existing model but preferably a little quieter.
* Appropriately priced based on smaller battery.

Not looking for a long range EV and don't want to pay a premium because it goes 220 miles or whatever.

60 kWh, but with .2 Cd, so ~300 mile EPA, <6 sec 0-60, lots of power, all for less than $35k before credits (if any), oh, and Tesla SC access. Heck the port hatch is big enough to cover CHAdeMO, CCS, and Tesla ports. An onboard toaster and coffee maker and should also come in a van model, with an expandable roof and seats that convert into a double bed. Also vehicle to home capability to run the house in an outage. And a sunroof.

It has to be comfortable and pleasant to drive, and not too low. More like a GT car than a hot hatch, with adequate cargo room and a back seat that will comfortably seat two adults or three older children. It has to have enough HP to not run out of steam as the speedometer passes 40MPH. It has to have more or less the same Premium Package as the current Leafs offer. It HAS TO HAVE GOOD, FUNCTIONAL HEADLIGHTS. Since Nissan seems to be trying to reuse some of the old Leaf in the new one to save production costs, this should all be possible. In short, it has to be a more elegant, comfortable alternative to the Bolt, while at least nearly as quick. It really needs to be a better Leaf.

60 kWh, but with .2 Cd, so ~300 mile EPA, <6 sec 0-60, lots of power, all for less than $35k before credits (if any), oh, and Tesla SC access. Heck the port hatch is big enough to cover CHAdeMO, CCS, and Tesla ports. An onboard toaster and coffee maker and should also come in a van model, with an expandable roof and seats that convert into a double bed. Also vehicle to home capability to run the house in an outage. And a sunroof.

Oh, come on. A sunroof?!?

As a former Leaf owner ( 2012 for 3.5 years and 51,000 miles ) and having had an i3 for 24 months as well.

Expectations styling , sharper , sportier less pudgy looking exterior. Gen 1 leaf interior was pretty good especially the cluster and info given , but again I would like more seat bolstering and an overall slightly more upscale looking interior , maybe a more conventional shifter .
Performance I would like a bit more power to go with the range and stay competitive with the Bolt, or at least close to it. A 0-60 north of 10 seconds would be real bad. 8 or under good and under 7 top notch but I don't expect that will happen. Gen 1 Leaf was ok in the corners maybe the new one could be a bit tighter ride?

I think pro pilot could be a good advantage over Bolt And Volt. I do still worry about TMS, or a lack of it having had significant degradation on my 2012. I really liked my Leaf and hope to own another someday. I like the fact that Nissan was willing to take a chance when no other company would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back