Leaf in the NorthEast Blizzard!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregn

I just got back home from work. 30 mile drive from Jericho, VT ( near Burlington) to Montpelier.
I just have to say that car is one of the best snow cars I have ever had. It just goes. No spinning, slipping or other unpredictable behavior.
The interstate ( 89) was one lane not plowed one wind blown clear and covered in places. Very low visibility. Cars in front were invisible till about 100 feet away. Fun stuff. Some were creeping with their flashers on. These I went around and the Leaf just changed lanes and plowed through the unplowed lane without issue.
I do have some pretty good snows on Michelin X-Ice. Well worth the money I would say. Even once I got into Montpelier with most roads not plowed yet. It was fine. Never slipped. The traction control works really well.
I was glad I had work place 240 volt charging thanks to my recent EVSE Upgrade. I had 96% when I left and had to 53% wen I got to home. I ran the defrost hot. Needed it today. I also made to stops at stores where I left the car on so the windows wouldn't freeze up.
That is an issue. If your trip requires you to be light on the heat it could be dangerous. I bought this car knowing I would have charging at both ends and the 64 mile round trip commute could be covered on a single charge if needed be.
Anyway hope everyone has safe travels in the wondereful but late winter weather.

Yeah, the Leaf is great in the snow. The weight is very nearly 50/50 between the two axles, so it doesn't usually fishtail. It also has a low center of gravity, yet a high ground clearance, thanks to the floor-mounted battery. And the electric motor is very responsive. It is easy to control the amount of power to the wheels, unlike most gas cars. All that combined with your good snow tires adds up to a huge difference.

That stretch of highway can get dicey, as it cuts through the heart of the Green Mountains. Glad you made it safely home!

yes, the leaf is good in the snow. you need to watch out, however, because the body of the car is lower to the ground than most. If the snow starts to get deep, especially at intersections where they have plowed, you can have a problem. That is were the plowed snow gets really deep. The only way to get through that is to watch for crossing traffic and SPEED UP to get the car to break through the mound of snow to the other side. Otherwise your car will "hydroplane", ... or "snowoplane" and you will get stuck.

That is why SUVs are so good in snow... Not because the traction is so good, but because the body of the car is much higher and is not entangled by deep snow...

Good to know! We just bought the Leaf and were wondering about how it would deal in the snow (we're in Western MA). We had those Michelin X-Ice tires on our Prius but I don't think they'll fit on the Leaf :( Wish we could trade them in for a different size!

T.

Back