Greetings from Memphis

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamieo said:
Also, I tend to be a little conservative with the AC. I'm comfortable with the temperature set from 75-82, depending on the outside temp. I also use Auto climate control.
The impact on the expected range has varied from 3 to 10 miles.
The amount of power used by the AC is both based on the temperature setting and fan speed. For example, I have mine set for 72 all the time. I use to fan speed to control how much power is used. So if I just get in the car and it is hot, I crank it up to the highest fan setting. After a few minutes (and time for the AC to really get going), I lower it down to 1 or 2 bars for fan speed and this lowers the AC power usage way down. Using the top vent and re-circulate also saves a lot of power (remember, no need to worry about gas fumes building up inside). When you use Auto, while convenient, you might notice after a while it switches re-circulate off. That means it technically takes more power to keep the temperature inside cool because it is bringing in hot/warm air. During the day time, that is not necessary since the window probably won't fog up. Night time is when that might be more useful.

AC power usage can vary from 3,000 watts on high to nearly 100-200 watts on low, depends on if you're moving or sitting in traffic. As you may already know, you can have the AC going while on the charger to save time, range and have the cabin nice and comfortable. :D

jamieo said:
I've been putting off getting a L2 EVSE installed at home simply because on my normal days I make it home with 40-50% remaining and it's no trouble to charge at L1 overnight.
Just be sure the 120V outlet and circuit have been properly inspected and are safe for use.
Previous information about L1 and risks:
TimLee said:
Here is the important information again:
TimLee said:
A repeat of my input from previous questions on 120 V EVSE use:
Note that Nissan recommends the 120V EVSE for limited emergency use only.
Some people have used it for a long time without problems yet, but in general that is a bad idea unless you have a newly properly installed dedicated circuit with high grade receptacle using properly tightened screw connections.

Previous info from another thread:
mikelb said:
Trickle charging should be safe, though, right? I wouldn't necessarily need to have the circuit certified for it or anything, should I? If I were to go to a friend's house, would I be safe plugging into their outlet?
How safe 120V charging is depends on how lucky you are.
Very few garages have the correct properly installed high quality single outlet supplied by a single breaker.
Code only allows using 80% of the circuit rating for a long term continuous load.
So on a 15 amp circuit nothing else should be on the same circuit while the car is charging.
And a lot of 120V gets put in poorly using push in connections.
One person had a bad fire most likely from staples that had damaged the cable in the wall.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784&hilit=+fire#p352567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I made an appointment yesterday to have 3M Crystalline Window Film (70) installed on my LEAF. I don't mind darker tints, but I like the specifications of this product and want to give it a shot. In the end, it will cost about $80 more than traditional tint at the place I'm using.

I passed 6,000 miles today and I am still pleased with my LEAF purchase. This morning I also saw my "highest-yet" expected range of 114 miles. During the week, except for Tuesday afternoon, I can take my most efficient route between home and my office and that bumps up my average efficiency. On most days, I average a little over 1 mile per percent of charge. Maybe one day, I will try to see how far I can actually go on a single charge, but right now that's not too high on my list of priorities.

I'm very pleased with the performance of the automatic climate control system also, especially now with the summer in The South.

On Sunday, I made one of my longest single-leg trips of 55.6 miles - from Memphis International Airport to Oakland, TN then back to my house. The trip was mostly interstate speeds on cruise control (about 60% at 55 mph and 40% at 65 mph) and about 5 miles of residential streets. I had 2 other adults plus a full load of baggage and other stuff and we used the AC (auto climate control the whole way). On that trip, I averaged about 0.90 miles per percent of charge. I don't use LEAFSpy or the iOS app, so the numbers are based on the charge level from the dash... the approximations are good enough for now.

I got 3M Crystalline 70 film applied to the windows yesterday. I am interested to see how well it works. It is barely noticeable also. I cant clean the windows for a month, so I'll have to live with a few "light" 3M logos for a little while. They look more like smudges than anything else though.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Crystalline-Automotive-Films/

I'm pleased with the 3M Crystalline 70. Yesterday, I noticed a significant difference in the amount of heat that came through the windows while driving.

It is not perfectly clear, but it is not really noticeable either. It would be nice it it were a little less expensive, but all-in-all I do not regret getting it installed.

I had my first service appointment today, 7,522 miles. I asked for a copy of the battery report.. initially the tech thought I meant the 12v battery and that's what he brought to the service advisor. After a little confusion, the advisor went and spoke to the service manager and got everything straightened out. A minor mishap, but no big deal. I waited a little longer for them to take my car back and run the check on the lithium battery.
My car was manufactured in January 2014, and I bought it in February 2015. It is a MY 2014 and had 67 miles on it when I bought it, so it had been sitting around for a while. I don't use LeafSpy or anything so I'm just going by the printout they gave me. The capacity still looks good and my "scores" for charging and driving are "very high and good for my battery".
On my normal work commutes, I average 5.3 miles/kWh and I rarely use quick charging- I think I've used it a total of 5 or 6 times so far. The only time I do use it is when I know that I'm going to be driving a lot on a particular day and won't have time to recharge enough at home.
Anyway, all is well here.

jamieo said:
I'm pleased with the 3M Crystalline 70. Yesterday, I noticed a significant difference in the amount of heat that came through the windows while driving.

It is not perfectly clear, but it is not really noticeable either. It would be nice it it were a little less expensive, but all-in-all I do not regret getting it installed.

Hi from Memphis! I just got my 2013 SV last week and I am sure that I'll need tinting to reduce the summer heat load.

What was the approximate price for that tint and where did you get it done? Would you go back to the same place and do it again or would you try tinting elsewhere?

Thanks!

GTLeafMem said:
jamieo said:

Hi from Memphis! I just got my 2013 SV last week and I am sure that I'll need tinting to reduce the summer heat load.

What was the approximate price for that tint and where did you get it done? Would you go back to the same place and do it again or would you try tinting elsewhere?

Thanks!

Hi (sorry for the late reply)- it was around $500, about twice as much as traditional tinting. I think that is the only place in the area that carries that product. I had a good experience with that company and would use them again. I am pleased with the Crystalline tint.

Even after all this time, I still get a kick out of mornings like this ... I had a peak efficiency of 6.3 miles/kWh on my way to work. I finished with an overall rate of 5.6 miles/kWh on a 15.1 mile commute. I pick a route where the terrain is relatively flat to gently rolling (not too hard to find in West TN haha) and with few traffic signals. The speed ranges from 40 to 50 mph with the majority of the route at 45 mph. I drive the speed limit, which seems to irritate a few early morning commuters (but I don't care what they think .. if they want to go faster, they can pass me :D ).

I just recently passed 20,000 gas-free miles. It's a nice feeling :D I also moved to a different town which has increased my daily commute to work by about 20 miles. This morning, I took "the country" route and was pleased with the results. It was 26.8 miles and I averaged 5.4 miles / kWh. That route is mostly two lane, flat to gently-rolling hills (we do not have too many "big" hills in this part of Tennessee) and the speed limit ranged from 30-50 mph. It is not too different from my previous commute, however the slower-speed portion is longer.

I am still pleased with my car's performance on my new commute. Yesterday was my "long" day with a total of 70.2 miles and an average of 5.1 miles/kWh on one charge. My JuiceBox reported 15.717 kWh to recharge to 100% in 3 hours 4 minutes and 1 second haha. This route had speed ranges from 20 mph to 65 mph and was also mostly level to gently-rolling. I am looking forward to seeing the results in the winter. Usually it is not too terribly cold here until January or February.

I had to have the 12 volt battery replaced on Monday. I actually took it in to one of the dealers twice but both times the LEAF tech was not in and they would not do anything without him. As it turned out, the dealer I bought the car from had replaced the battery before I bought it so they had a little extra work to do to get the replacement covered under warranty. In the end, I had to pay $52 or so. That was not such a bad deal overall for a new battery. I was at about 27,800 miles.

If they replaced the battery right before you got the car, then why did you need a new battery.... a battery typically lasts about 5 years, and if you take care of it by keeping it fully charged, it will last 10 years....

powersurge said:
If they replaced the battery right before you got the car, then why did you need a new battery.... a battery typically lasts about 5 years, and if you take care of it by keeping it fully charged, it will last 10 years....

I don't know what happened to it ... I take the car in for the regular maintenance checks. The last one was at 22,500 and it was ok at that point. They checked out everything else when they replaced it and didn't report any issues. Regardless, it only cost $50 so I wasn't too concerned.

Back