TCU upgrade not working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resetting userid/password was unsuccessful. Pulling battery cable for a few minutes then resubmitting userid and password in carwings settings succeeded. I checked the battery voltage with a multimeter. It was 12.54V. The car and battery are 2-1/2 years old with about 31,000 miles. I'll check in if the app stops working again.

Everything seems to work fine after my update, except I cannot read the connectivity and charging status on the owner portal and on my smart phone. I can see the charge level and I can remotely turn climate control on and off. Has something like this been seen before?

lukati said:
Everything seems to work fine after my update, except I cannot read the connectivity and charging status on the owner portal and on my smart phone. I can see the charge level and I can remotely turn climate control on and off. Has something like this been seen before?
Try Leaf Manager instead, the Nissan app is buggy and times out all the time causing it to receive only partial data.

lukati said:

I had the same problem - the update spinner keeps going forever and status never updates. However I found that you if turn off the "Update on Startup" switch under notification settings, then logout & log back on that it fixes the issue. You have to manually press the update button, but then it actually does update.

After trying everything that I could find on the internet about the TCU not working after paying for upgrade, I now have an appointment for the 3/27.

I will post what is found to be the problem, as many different problems have been listed, as well as some fixes after others have taken this plunge.

Dealer gave me the car back, with non-working TCU for now. Dealer was told by Nissan Tech Support that they would have a fix in a couple of days. I will then have to take the car back in (making it 3 trips now) for hopefully the final time.

On another note, they ran diagnostics and I was told the error code that is setting is the Inverter Cooling system pump 1 failing.
Part Number: 215813NA0A. Internet cost $476.91

I am having same problem. It shows full bars, with the the little car icon. when I try to connect it dials in and after a beat it grey's out and says connection has failed.

Car will not connect to service after update. Took back to dealer, they replaced the telematics unit.

They connected the car remotely to Leaf Headquarters in Tennessee and tried to reset the system twice. took 48 hours each time.
Not successful. They did a master reboot.

They returned the car saying the problem is with AT&T (passing the buck) and that they (Nissan will keep looking into it).

Was hoping to find solution here.

Dealer had the car for 1 week to install part

3 weeks 2nd time to try and fix

Universal Nissan in Los Angeles

2011 SL

I had a dealer upgrade the TCU in my recently purchased 2013 SL. All seemed to go fine, could connect and everything, except now I intermittently get a TPMS system error. It's not just the low-pressure light (plus I did check all my tires, just in case). The error light will flash for 60 seconds then stay solid. Later, it will turn off completely and everything seems fine, but then sometimes it will come on again. It happens, on average, once per trip, but not every time. I cannot predict when it is going to happen, and can't seem to correlate it with anything in particular. I only had the car for two weeks before I had the TCU upgraded, but it did not happen at all before then. It only started happening after the dealer upgraded the unit. I went back to the dealer and asked about it, and so they went ahead and reset the TPMS system, but that did not fix the problem. They now say it couldn't be related to the TCU upgrade, and if I want a fix, they'll need to charge me to replace the TPMS sensors.

Any ideas?

A thread on here talks about the upgraded tcu needing a higher voltage from the battery to operate. Your 12V may need changing, and you could stick a trickle charge on it for a few hours to bring the volts back up.

If you could read, you would know I already replaced the battery, and the Dealership can not make it work either. But those that can read know this. :roll:

I have now replaced my failed coolant pump #1.

$502 dollars shipped. Took about 1/2 hour to replace and I did not spill a drop of coolant.

Now if I could just get the TCU working, My 75k mile LEAF will be in great shape again.

I will be selling it for $3k next year when my Model 3 gets made. :mrgreen:

after 4 months. 4 visits and 6 days total at dealership, my TCU now works. However, my battery is now down to 66% of original life left, at 78K miles, I now can not travel more than 50 miles. Car is 5 years old and trade in value, 3 to 4 k. There is no way in hell I am buying a new battery for this.

My Tesla battery is so out performing the Leaf battery, It is stunning. Tesla batteries tested and have already proved that they can go 200k with out losing more than 10 %. Leaf lost 33% in less then 78K miles. New Tesla batteries are testing out at 500K miles before 20% loss. I will never buy Nissan again, and will be getting another Tesla. Which also hold their value way better than a Leaf.

Good bye all you fools living with a LEAF. Junking mine. :mrgreen:

I dropped my 2018 Leaf off at the dealer today for the TCU problem.
I was wondering If the part from ConEd, smart charge that fits in the diagnostic port near the break petal could be causing some conflict?
Anyone have any info or experience on this?

Baltneu said:
I dropped my 2018 Leaf off at the dealer today for the TCU problem.
I was wondering If the part from ConEd, smart charge that fits in the diagnostic port near the break petal could be causing some conflict?
Anyone have any info or experience on this?

You need to be a little more specific. Most OBD port devices, like those provided by insurance companies, do not work with the Leaf. It is a possibility that a third-party device plugged into the OBD port can be causing odd issues with the car.

Baustin
Thanks for the reply.

I am a ConEd customer (NY), they have a program where you save on electricity using a small device call a Fleet Carma C2 which plugs into the OBD II port on the Leaf. I installed that. I actually forgot I installed it after I left the car at the dealership over the weekend. I guess I could call them to remove it. It sits above the brake pedal in the OBD II slot which is easy to reach. It is specific to the car.
I have to wonder if this communication to ConEd is causing trouble. Perhaps it conflicts with the Nissan EZ Connect application on my iPhone.
I am wondering if anyone else has this installed with success and using the Nissan EZ Connect application?

I removed the FleetCarma box attached to the OBD II, same problem, the app did not work, so it is not the box connected to the port.
Hopefully the dealer will figure it out.

Has anyone else out there connected a box to the OBD II port to communicate with your utility co and have the phone app working?

Depending on what the ConEd device does, and how it communicates, it is possible for it to cause interference. It is also possible that it is not part of the problem, but may not work as intended. The Leaf has an OBD port, but does not use or recognize all the standard OBD protocols. Since it is just a data-gathering device, it is not likely to cause any issues. It should be removed whenever the vehicle is taken in for service.

There is no communication between the app on the phone and the Leaf. The app uses the available internet connection to communicate with the Nissan servers. The Leaf communicates only with the Nissan servers using the AT&T network connection provided by the AT&T Cellular network. SiriusXM is involved in this setup, and the TCU has to be registered with SiriusXM, AT&T, and Nissan in order to operate correctly. There is a dealer bulletin explaining the upgrade process, which TCU is to be used in which model Leaf, and all the steps necessary to complete the upgrade and register the device so that it functions properly. I would have the dealer pull out the bulletin and ensure the Leaf Tech followed all the steps. They can escalate to Nissan Support for assistance in getting it working. You may need to call EV Support and open a ticket so that they will work with the dealer to get the problem solved.

EDIT:
Since you have a new car, and are not suffering from a failed upgrade, you should be posting in a new thread and not tagging onto someone else's thread. You need to open a ticket with EV Support and have them work with the dealer until the problem is solved.

Thanks Baustin.

The car is at the dealership now, I have to assume the Dedicated Leaf tech has access to the bulletin.
Will let all know how and when resolved.

The ConEd box is working because I got an email from them telling me the box was removed. I know this, because I removed it before service dept could look at the car.

Like to get the EV Connect working first, then will plug ConEd box back in. I tried EV Connect with the box removed, but to no avail.

Back