The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Deathwater said:
Just picked up a 2017 Leaf SV in Silver

Couldn't resist. Local electric company offered a 10k rebate off MSRP.

so far, going to work and back actually GAINS distance remaining. I'm liking it.

Going to guess that you meant that you charge enough at work to cover your round trip commute usage plus a little extra?

No, exactly what I said. If I leave my house with 94 miles remaining, I will get to work with 97 miles remaining. Then when I head home, it will go up again to 100 miles remaining. only had it for a couple of days now.

Deathwater said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Deathwater said:

so far, going to work and back actually GAINS distance remaining. I'm liking it.

Going to guess that you meant that you charge enough at work to cover your round trip commute usage plus a little extra?

No, exactly what I said. If I leave my house with 94 miles remaining, I will get to work with 97 miles remaining. Then when I head home, it will go up again to 100 miles remaining. only had it for a couple of days now.

Never trust your GOM (Guess-o-meter) just go by the Soc display (state of charge display). Only way to GAIN range is regen down a hill. Try going 80mph on the freeway for a while, watch that range drop like a rock!

rcm4453 said:
Deathwater said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Never trust your GOM (Guess-o-meter) just go by the Soc display (state of charge display). Only way to GAIN range is regen down a hill. Try going 80mph on the freeway for a while, watch that range drop like a rock!

No freeways on the island. mostly flat to and from work

Deathwater said:

Which Silver? Silver City, New Mexico? :D Please update your Location in your Profile.

What Electric Utility? Thanks.

Phatcat73 said:
Picked up a sweet lease on a 2016 SV. 12k miles, 3 yr, $0 down, $10300 residual for $257/month inclusive of all taxes & fees. Going from a 1 bar loser in our 2013 to a new 30kwh pack is a breath of fresh air.

Nice! I got an S30 with charge. 15k miles, $9129 residual, $245 a month. My total purchase price if I went that route and did not receive a discount on residual was $17,738

2016 payoff.jpg

I just picked up a (previous lease) 2013 S in dark silver w/19k miles for $8988 before taxes/etc at Carmax in Fairfield, CA. This will be my new daily driver - my other daily driver is a 2003 F250 diesel, and it was killing me (and it) to use it for kid dropoffs/etc.

I've just had a 240V outlet installed in my garage, and I'm looking forward to using the L2 charger (no L3 on this one). My kids will also be using it to drive to/from school, and I'm looking forward to the free charging lot a block away from my son's school ;). So far, I love this little thing, so smooth and so many options for under $10k... I was surprised at how nicely it "comes off the line" from a dead stop :mrgreen:

I have just got a off-lease 2015 Nissian leaf S (with quick charge option and 15400 miles) for $8000 ($8650 including tax and title OTD) from the local Nissan dealer. The transaction appears to be very complicated (the lease guy has to buy out the car, sells that to the nissan dealer and I buy it from the nissan dealer). It works out really well because the seller (lease guy) has made good arrangements with the Nissan dealer in advance, in total it takes a little more than 1 hour to close the transaction. I speculate that the guy got huge buy-out discount from Nissan Finance, otherwise he won't even bother the hassle. During the financial transaction, it confirmed my speculation. Nissan gave him $9000 discount for him to buy out the off-lease(2 year lease) car. The gross buyout price is about $13800, after $9000 discount, he will get the car at about $4800 (maybe some tax as extra, he might share some profit with this local Nissan dealer). I don't really care and think I get a decent deal myself. Now I need to working on to sell my wife's 10 years old Hyundai Sonata.

Got a 2015 S today, 14000 miles. 32 mile round trip commute each day, with occasional trips to 70 or so miles. Should be ok to make these trips with the warmer weather, but I plan to fall back on ICE car if needed. I'm currently working the ins and outs on learning everything...I already have L2 charging capabilities, so that's taken care of. Time to peruse the forum and find out as much as I can!

Got a 2016 S-30 New. (48 miles on the Odo, no previous owners.)

Purchase price after all incentives and rebates was $20,000. Since it was new, it qualifies for the federal tax credit as well.

The GOM usually reads around 125 with a full charge! I only have a 15 mile round trip commute, so I usually get home with >100 miles on the GOM and around 90% charge.

First of all - many thanks to everyone that makes this such an incredibly informative Leaf forum!

Wife decided she wanted an EV - liked the look of the Leaf.

Spent the last couple of months lurking on here trying to soak up as much info as possible. Decided on getting a 2013 S. Bought the requisite OBD scanner. Checked out the dealers for CPOs in the SF Bay Area. Got tired of them saying an asking price of $9-10k was such a great deal. Decided that $3k for CPO benefit probably not worth it.

Saw a small used car dealer in Marin with around 30 Leafs on the lot (+ many Bolts and a sprinkling of Jaguars)), and spent an afternoon looking around. Found 6 worthy of further investigation and ended up getting the one with the best battery per LeafSpy for a little under $8k all in. Not as low as I thought based on the experience of others on MNL, but hey, this is the Bay Area. Has 35k miles - a couple others had around 10k less miles, but battery not as good (appeared to be effect of QC vs L1/L2 based on my spreadsheet).

Wife loves her new-to-her 2013 S Silver Leaf! 98% of our driving is within a 3 mile radius, so hopefully it lasts a long time.

Will have some questions re: home chargers, etc. at some point this year. Hopefully I can contribute to the forum as well.

Thanks again for making this an awesome resource!

Good day, friends! Just got my new-to-me 2013 Black SL last week. 8 days in, and I LOVE it! I upgraded from a recently-shamed 2010 VW Jetta TDI, which I also loved. Until I found out that I was one of the worst emissions offenders on the road, after all. :(
I'm in the Seattle area, and was disappointed to find out that it's Puget Sound Energy that offers an EVSE installation rebate, and NOT Seattle City LIght, which is the electric provider to Seattle proper. Anyhow, no biggie.

Hope to learn a lot here. Looks like a very useful forum, filled with people interested in sharing their knowledge!

Cheers,
Jeremy

jdyck said:
Good day, friends! Just got my new-to-me 2013 Black SL last week. 8 days in, and I LOVE it! I upgraded from a recently-shamed 2010 VW Jetta TDI, which I also loved. Until I found out that I was one of the worst emissions offenders on the road, after all.
That's a great upgrade for the Environment. Good job! And Congrats on the new ride!

If 98% of your driving is within a 3-mile radius you should do just fine plugging into a 120 volt outlet, no need for an EVSE.
jcca510 said:
98% of our driving is within a 3 mile radius

Will have some questions re: home chargers, etc. at some point this year. Hopefully I can contribute to the forum as well.

My wife fell Iove with the dark blue SL. So we got one for Valentines day. I had to drive it till I installed and evse cause I could charge at work. Now I'm looking at an EV dealership to get a used one for myself. Truthfully I'm on the fence choosing between a Leaf and a 500e

The 500e is lower in quality and will be harder to get fixed in a few years.

If 98% of your driving is within a 3-mile radius you should do just fine plugging into a 120 volt outlet, no need for an EVSE.

The charging cable that comes with the car is an EVSE. The charging station that mounts on your wall is just a wall-mount EVSE. Both safely provide house current to the car's onboard charger. The big, fast QC charging stations are external chargers that bypass the onboard charger, through a separate QC port.

2013 Silver SV Bose/QC won out. Kinda high milage though. The price made me pick the Silver over a low milage slate (my favorite color).

Bought today a 2015 S standard charger 21k miles Leaf! Accident reported on CarFax but the car looks incredibly new. We will use it in our business to visit clients.
Battery capacity is 12/12. Non Nav Leaf.

It is a one owner, from Georgia! 2 year Lease! Maybe the owner is here in this very forum.

anyway, is it a good deal for a non navigation owner to buy the OBD dongle?? How much info can we get with that? Specially regarding battery usage and performance metering?

We will run this baby under south Florida sun, how worried should I be since I need to ride 30 miles everyday without charging until late at night?

Great forum y'all have here.

Thanks guys!

LeafSpy will be just as helpful with an S. Given the car's history, it may be close to losing the 12th capacity bar. It may also have a year or two left. LeafSpy will tell you which. As for charging, if you can do it at night, do it. If you can't try to avoid charging when you have more than 6 temp bars on the gauge. At least you won't be doing QCs in the Florida heat.

Back