Buying used: Leaf Spy reports on 2 used 14's - thoughts?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
You can't "run the crap out of it and replace the pack in 12-15 months for free" with a '14, unless you live in extreme heat. Probably not even then. Nissan was trying for as close to zero warranty replacements as possible with the newer chemistries, and they seem to have succeeded. It's not hard to lose one bar, but after that it's a fools errand trying for four.

you are hardly qualified to assess my abilities

To close the loop on this thread, I decided to go for the Leaf with the better battery report @ $9,800.

To recap:
- SV with Premium Package
- 8,700 miles
- SD card is present.
- Updated Telematics
- Certified Pre-Owned
- Clean Carfax report

At the rate I drive it will take me about three years to reach the average miles on the other Leafs they had for sale.

FWIW: The dealer had 16 used Leafs. Of these cars, the average mileage was 20,627 (31,984 high, 8,700 low). Most expensive was $14,990 (2015 SL with 28.4K miles) to a low of $8,400 (2013 SV with 23.3k miles). Average price $11,045.

The QC debate:

This will be a commuter/errand car. Work is 4 mi away. Once I get some experience under my belt I may try a Cleveland run. Trader Joes is 31 mi away. When I look at the EV charging sites there is only one or two CHAdeMO options in Cleveland, but many L2 sites.

My best case scenario, if finding I need a few safety miles to get me back home, is spending an hour at a J1772 station and use the time to wander around engaging in my hobby of taking photos. But that's why we have the Prius...

My 98 Camry cost $11k purchased in 2004 @38K. Drove it to 110K in 13 years, spending another $11k over those 13 years on maintenance (not including the cost of 2 oil and filters per year I did myself). If I could go back in time I'm not sure I would buy the Camry again.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their insights.

The Leaf experiment begins!

I think you made a great choice. The lack of a QC port should not impact your use much since you have the 6 kW charger and there appear to be only a handful of QC charging stations in the Cleveland area. Enjoy your new ride!

I think you mean "EVSE." That will make the search easier. I recommend Clipper Creek if you don't need bells & whistles. Low price, high quality, made in the USA, 3 year warranty.

jim0266 said:
Thanks! This happened pretty fast. Now to pick out a EVCS. Will have to search the forums.
Or since the OP has a '14, who's EVSE can be upgraded to 20a I'd probably suggest that. OP, for ~$300 you can send your OEM EVSE into EVSEupgrade.com in CA where Phil's company will upgrade your OEM EVSE to not only L2(240v) but also 20a and while not the max 27.5a that your car will support, 20a is still pretty fast(charge recovery times of about 20%/hr for your Leaf). With purchased adapter cables you'll also be able to use the EVSE in a standard 120v outlet as you do now.
It's possible that somewhere down the line you might want to purchase a wall mount 30a EVSE for home, but it's nice to be able to use your factory EVSE on the go for not only L2 but also L1 at up to 16a for 20a outlets(the factory EVSE normally only outputs 12a which is meant for a 15a outlet).

You'll love it, I stretch my 2013 range and have no option for qc even though I got the port for it (No DCFC here) and have had no problems, doies get annoying having to wait 3h to return home for special trips but I find ways to kill the time.

Trick is don't be a pedal masher and go the slowest you can reasonably go. as for normal commute dam you probably only have to recharge every other week!

I also recommend Clipper Creek for wall-mount EVSE (get at least 30-amperes continuous with 40-ampere, 240-volt circuit if your service panel can support it) and EVSE Upgrade for portable use.

According to the EVSEUPGRADE web site, 2014 Nissan units are now upgraded to 20 amperes maximum at 208/240 volts (L2) and 12 amperes maximum at 120 volts (L1) with capability to program maximum currents (separate settings for L1 and L2) in 1-ampere increments down to 6 amperes at either L1 or L2 charging levels. These ratings are the same as the unit from my 2011 which I sent for upgrade in 2015.

Back