Quick question regarding registration fees

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanheat

Hey guys, couldn't find an answer in the threads. Just wanted to see if any of you know.
Bought used 2013 Leaf last month, early february and the dealership is billing me for the whole year in registration that started Sept 16.
I'm wondering should the new registration start on or shortly after purchase date? And if its from the original registration, why wasn't it paid back in February?

Is this normal, thoughts?

thanks!

If you've listed your location I can't see it as I'm using a cell phone, but in general, if the dealer went to the registry for you, all the fees should have been included in your purchase price. Why would they bill you a month later? And what does September have to do with it? Did you transfer a plate?

Sounds like a dealer scam. They're always trying something. They tried to charge me taxes twice. I'm not sure how it works in California but I'm pretty sure you have to pay the registration yourself.

Since you're in California, our DMV has a registration fee calculator: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do

If the dealer is asking for more money because they claim DMV wants more, I would check with the DMV before handing them a check.

VitaminJ said:
I'm not sure how it works in California but I'm pretty sure you have to pay the registration yourself.

When you buy from a licensed dealer in California, new or used, they are supposed to do the DMV paperwork as well, including the collection of first year's registration fees. There's even a specific line on the purchase contract for "registration fees." I think the only exception is if you buy from an auction house; in such case the buyer is required to take care of that, since most auction buyers are going to turn around and resell the car anyway.

Back